↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Corrosion Prevention Guide!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 31 of 86 <123 ... 303132 ... 848586>
Print this entire topic · 
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Thanks for your reply Zagato Smile Well if it can be done in a day, that would be fantastic and I am seriously interested in finding out if you could fit me in at the end of June? I could delay my return to France by an extra day. It certainly sounds like you are the chap to see. Would you be kind enough to PM me the price etc and we'll see if it's doable. I think actually it would be Friday 1st of July by the look of it.

As far as I can tell, there's no rust anywhere at the moment. I don't think this one has ever been through a puddle let alone off road. I hope to keep it that way Smile

Thanks mate

RB
Post #532371 17th May 2016 3:15pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Hi RB, PM on it,s way Thumbs Up

I am not sure how many posts you need to read pm's!
Post #532376 17th May 2016 3:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Riverboy

Oh no! Am I not able to read PMs yet? Can I send them? If so I'll PM you my email address
Post #532378 17th May 2016 3:42pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Think you just need one more post to read my pm Wink
Post #532380 17th May 2016 3:46pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Riverboy

It's OK I got it and have replied Smile
Post #532382 17th May 2016 4:04pm
Cake

United Kingdom 
*Spoke to a very nice gent at Rejel and confirm the following for anyone else.

About to begin my undersealing this weekend and was wondering what the drying/curing time between the following stages are:

Rust convertor inside chassis rails/outriggers and applying cavity wax within chassis rails/outriggers - 6 - 12 hours for best results

Rust convertor outside/exposed areas and applying cavity wax (thin coat to help adhesion of underbody wax) 6 - 12 hours for best results

Cavity wax (thin coat to help adhesion of underbody wax) and underbody wax - 40 minutes

Finally once all done how long before I can drive the car normally - 6 hours

All depends on the ambient temperature and circulation to remove the solvents.
Post #545060 1st Jul 2016 2:41pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Good clarifications. 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #545085 1st Jul 2016 4:22pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Riverboy wrote:
It's OK I got it and have replied Smile

And this is Riverboy's over from France and definitely worth a picture. Really like the rear panels. Just about to pick him up now it is all done for him Very Happy He will enjoy his long haul back down through France...

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by Zagato on 2nd Jul 2016 10:29am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #545279 2nd Jul 2016 10:26am
Riverboy

Apparently it's not to everyone's taste Chris Laughing

See you in a bit. Thumbs Up
Post #545280 2nd Jul 2016 10:28am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I still think it's a stunning truck! Love it Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #545284 2nd Jul 2016 10:53am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Riverboy is on his way back to the south of France a happy man and loves his truck. Looks street smart but still has the kit he needs for pulling caravans, horse boxes and hauling trailers around on his land. The cameras and lights especially so... Have to say with 4000 on the clock it was a really nice one underneath, better than many brand new ones straight out of the box. If only other people would see the benefit of getting them undersealed etc or doing it themselves before they turn brown, it can be a very different picture underneath even after only 3-4 years old. It,s so important to get them done before the rot takes hold... They will never be like it again...
Post #545301 2nd Jul 2016 12:29pm
Riverboy

Arrived home in the south of France a couple of hours ago. Thank you so much Chris (Zagato) you have done an amazing job on both of our Defenders and we can now relax knowing that we have done all we can to keep them in the best possible shape for years to come. The Mediterranean climate will help with that as well I'm sure. Thumbs Up Thank you again for running me to and from the hotel Thumbs Up

Anyone looking to protect their vehicle from corrosion cannot go wrong by choosing Chris to do that for you. Great guy and clearly loves his work.

Thumbs Up

Now I need to clean off all the dead insects it's collected en route Rolling Eyes (I tested those lights out last night, my god they're insane!! LOL)

Click image to enlarge
Post #545666 3rd Jul 2016 4:38pm
nitram17

Zagato wrote:
chiefstoker wrote:
Zag, when you say sealing under the window rubbers do you mean just prising the rubber away from the bodywork and siliconing along?

stoker

Yes the nozzle on your substance of choice if cut at an angle will go under the rubber so just run the nozzle along whilst pumping out the stuff with the caulking gun. It's a very messy/tricky job especially with the alpine lights, I took my inserts out to do those as they are in so hard!

zegato do you seal the windscreen side of the seal as well or just the bodywork side!How do you manage to get the sealant in at the top of the windscreen (body side) as there is not much room?
Post #545910 4th Jul 2016 12:09pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the kind words Riverboy Thumbs Up

'Nitram 17' It depends how old or what the condition of the rubber is! If it is older rubber you can get leaks on the glass side so doing both is a belt and braces job but the main leak is usually on the body side. Scribe chalk on the rubber inside the car to see if it leaks, many classic cars leak from the glass side especially if the window is quite slanted (my SAAB Sonett sports car leaked this way as do many SAABS 96 as the rake of the front is quite streamlined). A kind of capillary action may take place also apparently. Plenty of room at the top to get your nozzle in, use your wife's credit card to slip behind the rubber to push your nozzle in Wink

Don,t use modern cement type windscreen sealant, it,s not a structural part of the car like a modern euro box. You need the flexible type used for classic cars e.g. Arbo Mast auto grade windscreen sealing compound.

Preventing leaks and what to use is all in the Land Rover Defender water ingress guide available and updated since TDi days not that most dealerships will tell you about it when you are buying new and many don,t know of it at all. There are few links to it in this thread and other threads on the forum.

By the way following on from your leak thread I would say over 60% of the newer ones I get in leak from somewhere. I.e. Not just one side all the time.

Chris Thumbs Up

Last edited by Zagato on 4th Jul 2016 5:52pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #545975 4th Jul 2016 5:33pm
nitram17

Thanks Chris thats the best use of the wifes credit card I can think of! Rolling with laughter Unfortunately her purse has a perimeter fence and incursion counter measures that would destroy ISIS ........I would be more chance of me getting hold of unicorn horn than her credit card even though she always alows me to have the last word as long as its yes dear!
Post #545978 4th Jul 2016 5:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 31 of 86 <123 ... 303132 ... 848586>