↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Corrosion Prevention Guide!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 32 of 86 <123 ... 313233 ... 848586>
Print this entire topic · 
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Laughing She sounds as formidable as mine Wink
Post #545979 4th Jul 2016 5:57pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cake

United Kingdom 
Well following the guide (thank you!) and all the comments in this thread I undertook mine the weekend.

I actually enjoyed it and looks perfect under there now Smile

However the underbody wax is extremely tacky - have I done something wrong, applied too much or is it correct?

Also have some overspray on the drive and tried to remove with petrol but now have large black patches - any idea what I can use to remove?
Post #545988 4th Jul 2016 6:31pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Hi Cake, Underbody wax should not be tacky, it dries hard, cavity wax on the other hand can stay tacky for longer if you picked up the wrong can, Shocked Perhaps it is on quite thick as you say but should dry hard in time... Have you used another product underneath, ACF-50 under Dinitrol is a no, no, It will never go off... Actually useful in some applications.

White spirit would get it off but maybe tricky on a drive and make more mess, depends what your drive is made of. Don,t do this on Tarmac however any W spirit, including Waxoyl won,t do it any good at all! You could try brushing sharp sand over it to scrub the worst off. It will go in time.
Post #546059 4th Jul 2016 9:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cake

United Kingdom 
Thanks for getting back to me - it's defiantly the underbody wax on top (black opposed to the brown) with the cavity wax underneath which I left for a good 40 minutes to an hour everywhere between.

Everything is tacky so perhaps I have too much of both extending the drying time; I can't see what else it could be. 7.5 aerosol cans of each used underneath in total is that too much?

Yes drive will be tricky and think sanding or a stone block will be my only option.
Post #546096 4th Jul 2016 10:40pm
Cake

United Kingdom 
I spoke to Rejel this morning and the finish I have is what's expected...

I wouldn't say it's hard but waxy and if I push my thumb on it leaves an imprint but doesn't come off. Perhaps I wasn't brave enough to start touching it so hard thinking it was wet. Maybe more drying time will reduce this and stiffen a little more.

However CSK did do my rear cross member with Dinitrol and that is rock hard - unless it was another variation or product.
Post #546151 5th Jul 2016 8:59am
Rickydodah

Cake wrote:
Well following the guide (thank you!) and all the comments in this thread I undertook mine the weekend.

I actually enjoyed it and looks perfect under there now

I undertook this formidable task last week over two days and can honestly say they could pass for the two worst days of my life. I've done some pretty grim jobs in the past, up to my chest in cattle slurry, covered head to foot in silage juice with formic acid, cleaning various ladies sanitary items from cesspit pumps to name a few, but those two days I would never repeat even if I was paid for it. So hats off to everyone who's done this job and particularly Zagato who has made a business out of it Bow down Bow down Bow down I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #546162 5th Jul 2016 10:01am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Nearly packed it in twice 'Ricky' not from the messy aspect (also started in farming) I enjoy doing it but because of my lungs which I have permanently damaged let alone brain damage Thud from the fumes (it is a glue after all) but thoughts of returning to my previous career as a senior manager in education with 60 staff and all the stress bring me into a cold sweat!

I have messed about with cars since I was 14. I remember using liberal amounts of hammerite and later Ku-Rust on my Triumph Herald and SAAB 96, taking them out in the quiet country lanes in the evening when nobody was about. Tut Tut! I had stripped my old SAAB down and sorted rust etc and one a few cups by the age of 16. My father drove it to club events of course.

Working on cars is so much more satisfying than policy making or fundraising with a mobile ringing 24/7 due to residentials. I enjoy sorting out cars, I enjoy the people that own them and I have no boss to hold me to ransom! I have no stress, can take my time on them, I am not chasing money at my time of life and I should have done it years ago....

EDIT This is what my makes my job so nice. Just come in a 49k TD5, equivalent of a 3 year old one going by it,s conditon, an absolute beauty, REALLY nice find Tim, especially for the money...

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by Zagato on 6th Jul 2016 9:39am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #546449 6th Jul 2016 7:52am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
What is the way to tackle a car that has been previously treated by an unknown substance? Once I'd found the Defender of my dreams my plan was to take some time off before the end of summer and give it a head to toe Dinitrol treatment. Anyway, it looks to me like the car I have already has something sprayed all over the chassis, but I've no idea who did it or what is. The previous owner only had the car a short time and they didn't have it done. What I do notice is that it seems quite "oily" as water beads off it and Road dirt seems to have adhered to it.

Is it ok go over what's already there or do I need to completely strip off and start again? If I do need to strip it off, will traffic film remover in a pressure washer do the job?
Post #546458 6th Jul 2016 8:29am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
If unkown, test a small area first. Give it a light coat of cavity wax then underbody. Should be fine but best to be on the safe side. You can go over old Waxoyl this way which is an oil, wax mix (if the previous coating is still sound of course).
Post #546474 6th Jul 2016 9:54am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

I had a quote from Zagato (thank you very much)

Looking at the job and reading these posts I'm likely to have a go myself Smile after my sound proofing project that is...

I've been in touch with Rejel and they say the dinitrol classic XL kit for a 110

http://www.rejel.com/din01/

Comes with all this..

EXTRA LARGE CLASSIC RUSTPROOFING LITRES KIT
Suitable for vehicles: MOTORHOME, LARGE VAN
Kit contains:
5 x DINITROL ML3125 Cavity Wax 1 Litre can
8 x DINITROL 4941 Black Underbody Wax 1 Litre can
1 x Schutz Style Spray gun with 500mm hose & nozzle for 1 Litre can
1 x DINITROL RC900 Rust Converter Spray 400ml Aerosol can
1 x Extension Spray nozzle (600mm long) for Aerosol can
1 x Black Tapered Plastic Blanking Plugs 10mm (pack of 50)

My question(s) to those who have done this.

Do I need anything else (other than mask, overalls, glasses & Gloves)

Do I need a compressor for it to work or can I spray it from the cans??

Many thanks, as I do think as well as making my car hopefully last longer it also looks a lot neater.

Thanks
Post #546553 6th Jul 2016 3:15pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
ooops

Embarassed

Answered my own question... reading the page properly !!

"These kits require a compressor with an air supply of 4-6 bar pressures"

So next question... How much is a cheap but ok 4 to 6 bar compressor Smile

Is this any good? seems cheap..

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/sc24h-24-li...oCARDw_wcB
Post #546555 6th Jul 2016 3:19pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Hi Stacey, why not buy the aerosol can kit rather than the kit that needs a compressor. Don,t forget to do the body, equally important as the chassis. Good luck Thumbs Up Everything you need is mentioned in this thread by others also who have done it with pics Thumbs Up

Happy to run through how to seal windows, what to specifically do that is important on the body etc etc if you want to give me a call one evening. Everything you need will probably come to roughly £180 including a can of ACF-50, window sealant, ground sheet etc. You will need a decent mask on top, Don,t just use a paper mask, this stuff is lethal to lungs. White spirits will get it out of hair and off skin if you missed any areas when you cover up. A full face mask is ideal to keep it out of eyes and a decent light is a must to see into all the crevices.... cling film, bin bags etc can be used for masking...

Last edited by Zagato on 6th Jul 2016 8:46pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #546571 6th Jul 2016 4:20pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ Very kind of you to offer.

Think I will download this thread and look through it on Holiday. Ready for mid August to have a go...

I've found the spray kit now also...

http://www.rejel.com/din02/

Would I need anymore of this ^ or is that kit good enough,

Will look for the ACF50 and the other bits to start getting things ready.

I did read while googling that wax oil suits the older cars? mines 2009 and I prefer the finish on the dinitrol, heck its back in my mini days I remember wax oiling our mini sub frame !!

Many many thanks
Post #546618 6th Jul 2016 8:13pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Don,t buy the one in your link, it isn,t enough make sure you click on the large or extra large especially for a 110. About £145 sounds right...
Post #546631 6th Jul 2016 8:45pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ I think both our links default to the normal one? I id choose the Extra Large Smile

£142.80

EXTRA LARGE CLASSIC RUSTPROOFING AEROSOL SPRAY KIT
Suitable for vehicles – MOTORHOME, LARGE VAN
Kit contains:
8 x DINITROL 3125 Cavity Wax 500ml Aerosol can
13 x DINITROL 4941 Black Underbody Wax 500ml Aerosol can
1 x Can Gun Trigger for Aerosol
1 x DINITROL RC900 Rust Converter Spray 400ml Aerosol can
2 x Extension Spray nozzle (600mm long) for Aerosol can
1 x Black Tapered Plastic Blanking Plugs 10mm (pack of 50)
Post #546635 6th Jul 2016 8:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 32 of 86 <123 ... 313233 ... 848586>