↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Corrosion Prevention Guide!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 16 of 86 <123 ... 151617 ... 848586>
Print this entire topic · 
WickhamMan

United Kingdom 
Amazing guide!

I used ACF back when I was into the Nissan tuning world, nice to see people using it here.

How easy is it to apply the same principles to a 1999 discovery?
Post #387582 11th Jan 2015 11:12pm
Def90

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Hi all

Very good guide and informative .

New to a Defender and expecting delivery in around three weeks!

Any recommendation who to use for the full Dinitrol treatment in and around the Kent area.

Thanks
Nick
Post #389746 18th Jan 2015 1:16pm
Fellrunner

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Make the effort - go and see Chris (Zagato) Thumbs Up
Post #389844 18th Jan 2015 4:51pm
Def90

After reading a few other post's that could be the way forward.
I take you weighed up the potential warranty issues before you had yours done ?
Post #389855 18th Jan 2015 5:20pm
Fellrunner

There was just no question for me. It was at the very top of my list, along with security.
Post #389858 18th Jan 2015 5:24pm
Def90

Thanks will PM Chris.
The security question,should I just go for a tracker ?
Post #389875 18th Jan 2015 5:59pm
Fellrunner

Make yourself a cuppa and get comfy - loads of relevant questions and great advice on here. Just search on security related key words. People have different views, but a tracker is a great start. Call me cautious, but I ended up with a tracker, disk lock, pedal lock, factory alarm and cctv.
Post #389921 18th Jan 2015 7:13pm
Def90

Spoken to Chris and he's very helpful.

Booked in for February for the full corrosion prevention treatment.

Now onto security and sound proofing.
Post #391613 22nd Jan 2015 11:00pm
MOve

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Hi Def90,

My first Defender arrives in March, also booked in with Chris. Very Happy

Be interested in what you decide for security and noise. Lots on the forum, which makes deciding more difficult! Shocked

Thumbs Up
Post #391668 23rd Jan 2015 8:11am
mikeh

Hi

Newbie to the site after having read quite a few of the posts on corrosion. Having got a 90 on order, didn't realise a new one would need quite so much work!! Based in West Sussex so wanted to get in touch with Zagato to chat about getting it booked in when it arrives but can't pm just yet Very Happy

Top of a growing list of things I didn't know I needed Shocked
Post #396568 6th Feb 2015 11:22pm
mikeh

Very useful guide by the way!!
Post #396646 7th Feb 2015 1:07pm
Black Puma

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Sumatra Black
Re: Corrosion Prevention Guide!
Firstly, thank you Zagato for this guide with photos, and special mention to SKIP as well for additional detailed and illustrated advice.

Bow down

I have read the entire thread a couple of times now and think I am slowly understanding what to do. I don't usually work on vehicles in any way. My Defender is 3.5 years old, and had it from new, is in pretty fair condition underneath.

My questions:

Being based in Australia, I cannot find the Dintrol kit here. I may eventually have a kit sent over from the UK. Is it worth investigating alternatives that can be sourced here like Fertan for rust conversion. https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdet...olutePage= I also read there is a 3M protection spray for surfaces.

There seem to be a few options, as I have seen on the thread. I am just concerned that with my current lack of car knowledge, it would be better for to follow this guide with Dintrol.

I have found ACF-50, so I will get started with that in the meantime. I am going to follow Zagato's procedure quoted below.

Should I spray anywhere else whilst waiting to solve the Dintrol dilemma? I'm happy to cover the whole car in ACF-50 to make it easy Whistle

Do I need to do the super clean before ACF-50?

Zagato wrote:
Corrosion Prevention Guide ......

ACF-50, for rust prevention and cure and to protect your electrics, can be obtained from E-Bay, Wemoto.com It's clear and good for the visible bits you want protecting but don't want brown underseal covering everything!

Using ACF-50 spray underneath all your body capping’s as they are not painted underneath, I have also then sprayed Dinitrol underneath on top of the ACF-50 and will keep spraying at least twice a year just to make sure nothing is corroding. Many of the 60 plate models have brown rust staining coming out from new!

ACF-50 your bulkhead to bonnet hinges. Again brown staining from new is present on many of the 60 plate examples. ACF-50 stops it dead.

Spray also your;
door hinges and fasteners,
bonnet hinges and fasteners,
bulkhead to windscreen hinges,
wiper arms and their bases in particular,
aerial,
screws holding front grill etc,
front lower ali panel,
bumper insides,
body rivets, they can rust in the middle as well as corrode on the outside, most can be treated from inside the vehicle also,
Door seal rivets,
headlight bevels,
radiator brackets and fasteners, fan screws etc etc (alot of this can be sprayed through the grill so you don't need to take it off!),
wing mirror arm fastener cover, just cover it all and wipe off,
exterior part or rear window latch,
inside of towing electrics plug and behind,
rear of lights electrics (mud rots the wires away!)
rear tub door shut metal strip,
rear wheel holder,
engine bulkhead side and all electrics, common rail, brackets, fasteners etc etc being careful not to spray the belt and pulleys,
inner bonnet edges (& Dinitrol!),
any nuts and bolt heads, screw etc you can see inside the vehicle. The lower seat belt bracket bolts can rust very quickly for instance,
seat frames brackets are especially worth doing also.

When/if I do get the Dintrol kit. Is it possible to tackle the process in sections? It all seems a bit daunting, but bite size portions over a few months would work really well for me.

Cleaning the car (I guess this is something I could google). Do I need a jet wash or can I use a brush and elbow power? I have always been weary or high pressure pushing water and dirt into places it couldn't reach on it's own. Would be great if anyone has a guide or tips of the washing prep.

Thanks again guys. I have been enjoying the process of searching out the listed details of the defender and becoming familiar with what's what. I am sure I will have more questions.
Post #399912 18th Feb 2015 1:52am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Black Puma

Welcome aboard…and there was I thinking it’s only us Northern Europeans with our various weather systems that have to go down the extra corrosion protection route…but of course that’s wrong... Rolling Eyes

My take on your questions…

1. Fertan is fantastic stuff; I used it extensively on a boat, steel hull, 10 years ago, now sold but at 8 years in it was showing no signs of break down. It reviews and tests well but most of the evidence you will find is anecdotal…often the best type, as with any product (if basically good stuff) the success of its use will be in the preparation of the receiving surface and its application.

POR15 is also revered by those who have used it so that could be another route for you in OZ
The Dinitrol does go on well, especially the 4941 surface wax, so if as you say you are new to this type of work, follow the advice here, especially the safety stuff when you get under the Defender, It needs to be
safely raised off the ground so that you can maneuver easily, it’s possible to just lay on your back and do this but I wouldn’t. Obvious but don’t think you can just hold your breath a bit and spray away, and personally I wouldn’t use those ER type breathing masks, with the ally nose crimps…they are just rubbish for this type of work, you should get a proper paint spraying breathing mask with replacement cartridge filters (one centrally located or one left one right mounted). The Dinitrol you breathe in will be no good for you.

2. I have used the ACF-50 both on the Defender and my Motorbike… but... and this is a personal view, in my mind it made sense to clean the Defender as well as possible, to make it grease, oil, dirt, and grit free, I also flushed the internal chassis with Chlor-X a salt remover. I then treated all surface rust, but I didn’t then coat all the surfaces with another product (like ACF-50) before applying the Dinitrol. The only products I used were Dinitrol in the belief that one could (and was claimed) go on top of the other. So RC 900 converter mainly inside the chassis ML Penetrating Fluid, inside the chassis but also to get right in all those lapped joints on the Defender that suck the water in, I do hope Land Rover engineer these basic problems out of the replacement.

Using ACF-50 first may have absolutely no detrimental effect on the later applied Dinitrol and I acknowledge Zagato’s experience here over me, but I didn’t do that, I wanted the Dinitrol to stick and stay stuck and as I said in my mind get the surfaces super clean and then apply was my route…been under it recently (full service even had a few gentle scraps and its good…I really like this stuff).

Just a quick … Thumbs Up for ACF-50 I have now used it, a bit like I use WD40, on quite a few of the things listed on Zagato’s list.

3. Depending on how much time you have and your weather ‘window’ you could do this in sections, but I wouldn’t, preparing the vehicle, raising in, cleaning it, stripping it, you will only want to do once, also when your dressed up in your bio-hazard suite you will want to limit the number of times you do this... Embarassed

As preparation will be easily more than 50% of the effort here (I’m sounding like my father) trying to break this down into stages will increase the overall effort required, doable clearly but more effort.

4. Cleaning the Defender. I used a jet wash it does help, but a hose with a fine jet is probably as good, the internals of the chassis doesn't really need the power of the jet wash unless they are full of mud or sand. The power washers are good at dislodging compacted mud and grit in corners, my chassis had not been submerged in mud or a slurry of sand and water so had only road grime, probably salt too and whatever else gets in there after 1000 days from new, being driven on tarmac roads in England.

You are right about the dangers of high pressure cleaners, I used to do motocross riding and if you used one to clean your pride and joy (that you couldn't see for mud) you would blast oil and grease out of ‘sealed’ bearings and as you say probably even introduce girt to places that it wouldn't otherwise have reached. Gentle is probably best, after using your de-greasers (if you have an oily Defender... Sad ) and salt removers (if your government still uses this on the roads... Shocked ) flood the chassis and rinse them out. You are basically right get under there and use elbow power... Thumbs Up

Lastly… I did what you have done read and reread this tread / guide… I found myself getting somewhat paranoid about my 'process', my research file grew, (I’m an engineer by training so we love a process... Exclamation ), I’m sure also that my objective thinking was challenged…as I wanted to do the best I could form my Defender, clearly we are driven by greater powers than just pure logic here...

Don’t worry too much about slight variations to the ways members have tackled this, basic principles of applying coatings IMO applies here, clean it, then coat it, following the instructions on the tin.

Good Luck Black Puma SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #399969 18th Feb 2015 11:45am
Black Puma

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Sumatra Black
Fantastic, very helpful advice there SKIP. Thank you Thumbs Up

Dintrol sounds like the way to go. I'm going to start with a small section, and if successful, look at taking the rest on in one hit. I appreciate the heads up regarding the toxic fumes!
Post #400205 19th Feb 2015 5:56am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I did my own when nearly new, dinitrol 4 years later still looking good, no corrosion on screws or fittings that were ACFd no comment from dealers when doing warranty work other than that it looked a good job and the car was in good nick DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #400208 19th Feb 2015 7:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 16 of 86 <123 ... 151617 ... 848586>