↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Corrosion Prevention Guide!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 15 of 86 <123 ... 141516 ... 848586>
Print this entire topic · 
Fellrunner

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
What a lovely looking Defender Thumbs Up
Post #375135 29th Nov 2014 11:25pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Literally fresh out the box Laughing Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #375137 29th Nov 2014 11:32pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Zagato wrote:
Just the way to get them. Brand new straight from the dealership in a cosy dry container. I am doing the full works on this one, including a hand painted chassis with POR-15 Very Happy plus a few quality accessories to fit Thumbs Up

Fellrunner wrote:
What a lovely looking Defender Thumbs Up

LOL Yes yours is a nice one Fellrunner and it will be a properly finished product soon :thumbsup:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #375138 29th Nov 2014 11:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Good to see you've got your premises all up and running now Chris Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 D250 XS Edition - Gone
2024 110 D250 X-Dynamic HSE
Post #375141 29th Nov 2014 11:36pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Hello mate Thumbs Up We are also hoping to move 25 miles further south in the New Year which will give us a much needed extra bedroom but more importantly a double garage and 1/2 acre to store boat/caravan and Landies Very Happy All that extra for the same price as our house - mad!
Post #375252 30th Nov 2014 5:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CatherineF

United Kingdom 
I can only imagine how much that transporter cost to ship the Defender, based on quotes I've had recently for our Business Centre to ship cars across the UK.
Post #375851 2nd Dec 2014 6:24pm
Fellrunner

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Hi CatherineF

It wasn't cheap, that's for sure. But, getting the chassis protected was important to me and, frankly, just one telephone conversation with Chris left me in no doubt that there only one person I wanted to do the work. I think he'll probably forget more about Defenders than I'll ever know!
Post #375864 2nd Dec 2014 7:31pm
CatherineF

United Kingdom 
I was thinking about getting our Defender brought down from Chester on a truck instead of going there and back with hubby.
Post #375865 2nd Dec 2014 7:37pm
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Zag is the man who wrote book on anti corrosion treatment for Defenders, his attention to detail is second to none!!! My next challenge is to try and repeat Chris' quality of work on my old Td5 Confused 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 D250 XS Edition - Gone
2024 110 D250 X-Dynamic HSE
Post #375868 2nd Dec 2014 7:43pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
I've got a couple of questions I was wondering if anyone could help with...

What advantage (if any) do you get using a compressor? Aerosols are going to be quieter and not have hoses running around which would be good.

Once all the rustproofing has been done, what happens when you pressure wash it? Avoid entirely? Avoid too much pressure? Only do it cold?
Post #376687 5th Dec 2014 9:13pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Compressors are great for plastering the whole of the underside thickly and quickly but not so great for getting into all the nooks crannies and little holes that should be done, remember these things largely rot from the inside out. If I use a compressor I also have to use aerosols to get into the small holes/areas. An aerosol DIN 02XL kit from Rejel.com can get into every area whilst doing the outside of the chassis quickly, how thick you want it is up to you, the XL kit gives you plenty of Dinitrol to plaster it on - the small diameter but long extension nozzle allows you to get into many areas including all the way along the chassis with a 360 degree squirt, door posts, bulkhead under windscreen, tub supports etc It also has a rust converting can to sort any rusty areas once rubbed down Thumbs Up

No problem jet washing a Dintrolled Defender but only use as much pressure as you need. It doesn't take much to get mud off so only use the required pressure. Dinitrol is like a glue so it pretty robust but will wear down with repeated hard unnecessary pressure washing.
Post #376694 5th Dec 2014 10:19pm
MOve

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Great Thread
Thank you Zagato et al.

Regards
Post #381914 26th Dec 2014 1:37am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Final question:
Now everything is clean underneath, I can't actually see much in the way of rust. There are a few small brown patches but nothing flaky. Do I need to use the rust converter? Do I need to spray rust converter in the chassis tubes?

It's been sat inside for 24 hours now, a lot of that with heating, and I've felt over the whole chassis and inside the box where I can and it all feels perfectly dry. As an added helper just in case I've also blown it all out with an air line, turns out I had missed a couple of places with the pressure washer but that's all fine now Thumbs Up
The stuff coming off was dust rather than sludge which I think is a good sign.
Post #383421 30th Dec 2014 6:33pm
nitram17

Zagato wrote:
jomara wrote:
A massive thanks to Chris (Zagato) for doing a top job on my 110!!! The attention to detail is amazing and the advice and knowledge he has regarding Dinitrol ACF50 and the do's and dont's is priceless!!! Bow down Bow down Bow down

Well worth the run to Surrey to have the peace of mind that my car is fully protected, once again thanks Zag Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Nice to meet you Thumbs Up Hope you get over to NZ OK. Sorry for the late reply I don't come on here much but need to as I should update my guide to include the internal bits to treat, under bonnet also etc and how to get to the bulkhead, tops of chassis rails etc. It's a great shame that I hear of so many "professionals" doing poor work e.g. just a quick splurge from the underside and not washing or treating the rust first before hiding it all under a coating of Dintrol or wax, or commonly washing the vehicle in the morning and plastering it with anti rust stuff in the afternoon sealing in all that moisture Shocked Does it really take that much more effort and time to take pride in yourself and your work and do a proper job, NO, do the right thing by people and do a proper job. If it was me and couldn't do the work myself I would wait and watch the work being done...

As an aside I have seen a few 3 year old ones recently that may have had underside treatment from new but no treatment of the body cappings, bonnet hinges etc that are already seriously rusting. This in a way is maybe more important than the chassis - for instance if the hinges on the bulkhead rust through then thats a real problem and they are all pretty much rusting from new (bare metal between the join just sprayed over with body paint similar to the body cappings). Also rusting windscreen frames are common so if it was me I would order a spare window frame now whilst they are still available and obviously get your current one sealed by a window fitter as per the LR water ingress guide to stop the water just sitting under the window rubber - you can get holes in just 5 years!!

Well that was cheery wasn't it Wink

Pardon my lack of knowledge but which part of the windscreen surround rusts....i thought it was aluminium?.....
Post #384243 2nd Jan 2015 7:34pm
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
zag whats the lead time on doing a 90 ?

steve 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #386425 8th Jan 2015 7:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 15 of 86 <123 ... 141516 ... 848586>