↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Corrosion Prevention Guide!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 86 <123 ... 8910 ... 848586>
Print this entire topic · 
lukev01

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Dinitrol is considered very good. I had no experience in doing this when I picked up my 110 last month so contacted the guru, Zagato, and arranged for him to do it. Top man Bow down you would not believe how thorough he is.

I suggest you message him and get it done ASAP if you are not doing it yourself. If you are diy-ing it I suggest you buy it from rejel.com and get their own brand which is Dinitrol. 1970 Series 2A 88"
Post #271922 6th Oct 2013 10:36pm
Sockpuppet

United Kingdom 
The holes in the rubber seal are so air can escape, My loom goes between the chassis and the body though it is a 110.

Just sip tie the loom out of the way once sprayed.

I'd dinitrol from new, I've just finished day 3 of doing mine. Well day 4 if you don't count the day where I got all the compressor ready and it started to pish down.

Another day and I'll have it cracked then again I'm taking my time making sure it's done right.
Post #272052 7th Oct 2013 3:35pm
Little Tom

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
It looks like I have a messy weekend ahead of me, I took the plunge and bought the following:

DINITROL CAVITY WAX AEROSOL (with 140mm extension nozzle)
ACF-50 ANTI-CORROSION SPRAY
ARBO MART AUTOGRADE SEALER

I bought the Dinitrol aerosol as I dont have access to an air compressor so hopefully these will be ok for the job.

I will be following the guide above and hopefully do a reasonable job, the way I see it is even if I my work isnt up to scratch it will be better than nothing over the winter.

Wish me luck.. and thanks Zagato for your help with this. Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #273962 15th Oct 2013 10:33am
Potter

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Stornoway Grey
Hey Little Tom

Let us know how you get on. Any [hotos would be good. I see you are in Lancashire as well, where abouts?
Post #273989 15th Oct 2013 1:19pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
when I upgraded my LR bumper to a FCX one, I dinitrolled the ends before fitting the end caps ...
Post #273991 15th Oct 2013 1:25pm
Little Tom

Potter wrote:
Hey Little Tom

Let us know how you get on. Any [hotos would be good. I see you are in Lancashire as well, where abouts?

Hey Potter, I'll try and get some pics up for you, before and afters perhaps although I'm sure they will be plenty of mocking at my efforts Laughing

I'm inbetween Southport and Preston, feel free to come over at the weekend and trade places! Wink Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #274003 15th Oct 2013 2:54pm
Potter

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Stornoway Grey
Ah Little Tom, I'm from Penwortham but now live near Lancaster

Pics would be great
Post #274005 15th Oct 2013 3:02pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Little Tom wrote:
It looks like I have a messy weekend ahead of me, Wish me luck.. and thanks Zagato for your help with this.

Don't forget your ACF-50 for under the cappings etc Tom. Helps to keep the cans warm in this cold weather also, the Dinitrol flows better Wink

I am doing my last Defender today until next year when conditions improve in the Spring. I'm happy to give anyone advice if you fancy a crack at it yourself - it's not hard to do, you can see what needs doing when you get underneath and the same for the body. Just give a squirt of ACF-50 to footwell fasteners, bonnet hinges onto bulkhead, headlight rims, door hinges - anything you think will rust. Treating the metal bracket etc behind the grill is one you may not spot. Easy to take the grill off and do Thumbs Up
Post #274458 17th Oct 2013 8:51am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Little Tom

What about applying Dinitrol over waxoyl? Is that a no no? Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #274492 17th Oct 2013 11:37am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
As long as the Waxoyl is still stable (can get a bit cakey eventually!)It's like spraying glue over the Waxoyl so no problem as long as whats under the old Waxoyl is dry off course - Just adds another layer of protection Thumbs Up
Post #274559 17th Oct 2013 4:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mr Didot

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Baltic Blue
Zegato,

Big thanks for getting my XS90 done earlier this month. Perfect preparation for the storm Thumbs Up
Post #277435 28th Oct 2013 9:57am
psimpson7

Australia 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Loire Blue
Looking at doing some serious rust protection on our new 90 when it arrives in March/April. (I galvanised the chassis on my td5 when I got that but its not really an option this time!)

I cant seem to get Dinitrol over here (Australia), but Rejel pointed me to the following carlofon CHC40200 product for the cavities. Does anyone know if this is basically the same product?

http://www.storkawd.com.au/product.asp?ProductID={CFB284BA-5E35-4F32-82D8-4034CB9C4881}

I haven't managed to find much in the way of the underbody wax yet either apart from Tectyl 506, or the traditional Waxoyl.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks
Peter
Post #291821 20th Dec 2013 4:48am
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #291822 20th Dec 2013 5:19am
psimpson7

Australia 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Loire Blue
Thanks Eric,

That seems to point to carlofon being the same as Dintrol.

I will send him a pm on aulro.

Rgds
Peter
Post #291824 20th Dec 2013 6:04am
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Hi Folks,

My first post on here and as the former owner over the years of a number of Opel Mantas (made from steel that Land Rover rejected as it was too rust prone...), I've found this topic fascinating. Many thanks to the chap who started it.

I've a new 110 Hard Top on order for next March, so it's of particular relevance to me at present.

Once I'd realised 'Waxoyl' was frankly rubbish, all my recent Mantas were treated with Bilt Hamber's products and I've found them to be absolutely brilliant (NB my user name gives you a clue as to whether I work for BH - I don't!) In case that's a new name to some of you, here's their site:

www.bilthamber.com

The comparison tests with various other rust preventative products are most informative.

They're what I hope to douse my new 110 in before it goes on the road, albeit the dealer did say they'll give it a five mile road test before he trailers it over to me, and in late February with all the salt, I'm not too happy about that.

The other thing that I hope will be of interest to you is this:

http://www.lokari.de/epages/62716287.sf/en...ListPrice=

I had a set of their plastic front wheel arch liners for one of my old Mantas and they were absolutely superb. They literally held themselves in and took just minutes to fit. How good they'd be for the off roaders who use all their suspension travel I don't know, but mine will just be my work van, so I doubt it will be a problem for me.

Sadly, the Land Rover ones aren't available in plastic, but I intend to get both front and rear aluminium sets for my 110. I found Lokari very easy to deal with last time. I'll clearly need to check first if they'll fit a 2014 vehicle.

I hope this is of help and look forward to joining in with more discussions over the coming months.
Post #292133 21st Dec 2013 10:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 9 of 86 <123 ... 8910 ... 848586>