↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Corrosion Prevention Guide!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 86 <123 ... 91011 ... 848586>
Print this entire topic · 
radar54j

England 
Reading your original message, it is now 3 years old. I`ve just sold my series 3 for a Defender 5TDI 05 plate.
The wife says she willnow drive it.
I`mnot in a position to tinker any more so are you still up for a quote to ACF our Defender ?
e-mail radar54j@yahoo.co.uk we are in Cumbria !
alan :
Post #293694 28th Dec 2013 6:14pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
My thanks to Zagato for starting this thread, and for all those who have followed.

I plan a DIY treatment in the spring, and noticed while looking further at Dinitrol that they are Exhibiting
at the Car Restoration Show / NEC Birmingham 12th / 13th April 2014... for anyone interested.

SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #293799 28th Dec 2013 11:07pm
Red Desert

Germany 
Dinol 3641A in combination with Dinol ML (frame) is what we use

Click image to enlarge
Post #293882 29th Dec 2013 2:03pm
rick123

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
defender puma rustproofing
Hello Zagato
I have a 2007 90 which needs rustproofing. Would you be able to do the work? I have just read your excellent corrosion guide.
Regards
Rick
Post #301151 22nd Jan 2014 11:29am
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
what would the damage be to give a brand new 90 some treatment ?
steve 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #302177 26th Jan 2014 8:34am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Derrickthedefender

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Zambezi Silver
Awesome Post, thanks a lot, really helped with mine. Thumbs Up A Defender... Mans best friend, never judges, trustworthy (most of the time), go anywhere, do anything, looks the business, and mans biggest money pit!!!

Yes the name for my 90 is Derrick!
Post #310640 22nd Feb 2014 7:38pm
lukev01

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Zagato did my new 110 straight after I picked it up in September. He doesn't frequent this site (as) much now but a PM will probably get him.

I do have his contact details if you cannot reach him within a couple of weeks. He is likely to start doing the Dinitrol process again after winter (whenever that does end!)

I can certainly recommend him as a top man who will show you everything he has done (much more than the norm from a dealer) and point out anything he finds while doing it. Thumbs Up

I will be contacting him later this year with a view to redoing my S2A since it was Waxoyled in 2010.

BTW, get the Dinitrol from rejel.com. They are based in Bedford and do next day delivery. Buy their own brand since it is the last version of the Dinitrol before the "recipe" changed and is cheaper. I bought the Motorhome (XL) size and it comes with overalls and everything Zag needs to give your pride and joy a proper job.

Click image to enlarge
 1970 Series 2A 88"
Post #310648 22nd Feb 2014 8:02pm
simonb1952

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Another thanks to Zagato for this excellent guide.

I picked up my new 90 last Saturday and applied Dinitrol on Monday, before any muck or rust could get hold (and while it's dry)
I bought the Large Car aerosol kit from Rejel via ebay, using their own brand stuff which is about 20 cheaper than the Dinitrol branded stuff.

I found it easier to apply than I thought I would. I didn't cover everything (I stayed away from electronic looking things near the chassis), but I covered everything I've ever seen corrode on a chassis.

Even with aerosols, for 100 you can do a job you know has been done how you want it and you know exactly what you've either missed or chosen to leave. For DIY, I think the key is doing it from new, because once the crud gets everywhere it's hard to get out.

I was very pleased with the Rejel stuff and their service, and I highly recommend them, and the Large Car kit left me some material left over for top-ups.
Post #317260 19th Mar 2014 7:39pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Well the weather has improved so back to treating the occasional Defender - it's a hell of a job so I only like to do one every now and then. Have to say the quality is much improved from 3 years ago, paint, finish/fit (especially the cappings) and improvements continue. For instance I have just finished doing Matts 2014 model from FCX Offroad Innovations and noticed the rear wheel arches have thick stone chip or soundproofing gunk sprayed on before the body paint was applied. I wonder if this is just on potentially noisier hard tops.

I have just finished Matts new 90, it's taken 11 hours to do as I went over it twice using Matts Dinitrol stock that we got for his 130 but didn't do... Hell of a job over two days but it won't need doing for a while now Wink

Poor photo but nice isn't it, makes a nice change to wash and polish a red one.

So I couldn't find my baraclava, 4 showers after using white spirit and fairy washing up liquid to nearly get it off Rolling Eyes Goggles are a waste of time they just get covered as well.

Don't forget to do your rear tub supports (see pic below) it's ali but even aluminium will corrode where joined with mud on it permanently) especially the one's running down the side of the tub, they even give you a little hole to spray into Thumbs Up

You can see the textured underseal they put on at the factory under the Dinitrol, not pretty but does the job and good on LR for doing it.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by Zagato on 21st Mar 2014 3:28pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #317802 21st Mar 2014 2:28pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
david mitchell

Ireland 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Wow that looks great, fancy opening a premises in Ireland zagato? You would make a fortune, no place here to match your quality Bow down
Post #317820 21st Mar 2014 3:28pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Thanks David, very kind but what you see is the underseal by LR you can't really see the Dinitrol on top as the underseal is so textured.

A fortune would be nice but you get more satisfaction doing a more involved nicer job. I would prefer to do the occasional one really thoroughly with all the cappings, footwell fasteners, under bonnet done etc. Maybe six a year over the warmer/drier months rather than just blast underseal under a load of them. I just started doing it for a few friends it's not my main job, the undersealing work is a small occasional business, I have another landscaping, garden design, gardening business.

It's also pretty nasty work, you get covered in it and breathing the stuff in isn't so good. I would be happy to pay someone twice as much as I charge for doing the work once you realise what goes into it and how blimmen messy you get, havn't a clue why I do it at all Confused apart from it's nice to be involved with Defenders and seeing one drive away completed is always nice.

How much do dealerships charge to polish your new car with some protective wax system 500, e.g just give it a polish Rolling Eyes I approached one dealership to do Dinitrolling on their sold cars at their premises and they wanted a 500 per car cut Neutral
Post #317824 21st Mar 2014 4:02pm
lukev01

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I would agree with that. The "Supagard" treatment can be bought for less than 15 on eBay. Even I can clean then polish a car and would probably do as good a job as the spotty yoof at the dealers.

What I would not be able to do properly is the Dinitrol, so I was very pleased that Zagato did my 110 straight after delivery.

His attention to detail is already legendary on this forum and he is a top bloke as well! Thumbs Up 1970 Series 2A 88"
Post #317829 21st Mar 2014 4:12pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
Yet another Defender that'll never crumble Bow down Bow down An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #317871 21st Mar 2014 6:24pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Zag, that factory underseal under the rear arches are under mine too. (Was until I over coated them again)
I stonechipped mine all over before Dinitrolling.
Never rear any stone flicks now if I'm honest.
Worked well. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #317878 21st Mar 2014 6:36pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Haven't seen my 90 in the flesh yet as I'll collect tomorrow, but, I know that it will be a top quality job, carried out by an enthusiast that knows his onions !

Zag works to a standard (the highest) rather than a price and that's the way it should be !

Thank you Bow down Bow down Bow down
Post #317926 21st Mar 2014 8:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 10 of 86 <123 ... 91011 ... 848586>