↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Corrosion Prevention Guide!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 36 of 86 <123 ... 353637 ... 848586>
Print this entire topic · 
Essexlandy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 110 200 Tdi HT Bronze Green
Great information.

I am about to re do my 110, I have waxoyld about 7 years ago. so needs top be re done.

I have degreased with sugar soap solution and a hand spray washer (cheap as chips)

left to bite in then jet washed to remove all solution and dirt.

Run a hose through each chassis leg till it runs clean.

Left to dry for a week.

Will now blast air through from compressor.

I was then going to mask it all up, put on stands. Spay with Flag rust convertor, leave to dry and then shutz gun the inside box sections again with Flag rust convertor.

Advantage being:
a) can be sprayed
b) needs no over coat drys to a pleasant black finish.
c) cleans up with water.
d) convertors rust, and is used in yachting.

How does this sound? Waxoyl was a messy job when I did it.
Post #556161 15th Aug 2016 12:40pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Apart from Waxoyl, I have not used the rust converting product you mention but someone else may have Thumbs Up
Post #556177 15th Aug 2016 2:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Essexlandy

Thanks for reply,

I was going to then under body seal the wheel arches more for sound deading then anything else.

You do great work BYT

I've used the Flag stuff on some other items and it seems really good, stops rust and leaves a nice matt black coating.
Post #556182 15th Aug 2016 2:58pm
Leaky 110

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zermatt Silver
Finally finished rust converting today, trying to get a run of dry warm days in Scotland sometimes feels like an impossible task.

Got funny looks when I was buying coveralls and a respirator for tomorrow's cavity waxing. The guy behind the counter was convinced I was doing a "breaking bad" 😄

Click image to enlarge
Post #556644 17th Aug 2016 12:04pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Shocked Sorry to keep banging on Leaky but axles stands on Tarmac which could break through at anytime without further support and on a slight slope by the looks of it Shocked There is no way I would risk getting under that Shocked Dropping one end back onto it,s wheels would be so much safer and then swap ends, you would still have plenty of room underneath to work. Chop up a new 7" fence post, that will provide enough chocks on level ground with your axle stands to make the job safe...

Good luck with the job, rain is on it,s way Rolling Eyes
Post #556701 17th Aug 2016 3:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I have never put any pictures in my gallery before but now have a small selection of vehicles I have worked on. I wish I had taken pictures of all the one,s I have done but will do so in future...
Post #557378 20th Aug 2016 9:20am
Baz8046

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
Hi Chris,
Thanks for all your help getting mine sorted out, I know it wasn't an easy job with all the cleaning.
If anyone is thinking of having this work done I would strongly recommend Chris.
Excellent quality of work and attention to detail.
You can do this yourself but it is a horrible messy job.
Thanks again Chris, top man Thumbs Up Defender Td5 Commercial 2002
Range Rover L322 TDV8 Westminster 2012
Discovery 4 SDV6 Landmark 2016
Post #557622 21st Aug 2016 9:22am
Wism

United Kingdom 
I can only recommend Chris. He does a great thorough job and is always willing to help where needed. I will definitely be returning when needed. Thanks Chris Bow down Bow down Thumbs Up
Post #557624 21st Aug 2016 9:44am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Many thanks fella,s...

Next three in... Three sheds of grey! No far from sheds...

Dog on patrol, he lives next to them...

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #557671 21st Aug 2016 2:00pm
ADBS65

England 
Today was POR15 painting day! I have quite spent some time (weeks on and off) removing rust scale, using a grinder with a wire brush, power file, flap sander, hammer and chisel, then welding plates as necessary to the chassis to ensure structural integrity, I was ready to go. I had purchased the Marine Clean and Metal Prep and had applied both as per the instructions earlier in the week. Having watched a number of "instructional" YouTube videos I made sure I was fully covered up,this included Marigold washing up gloves with latex gloves underneath, rubber bands to keep the Marigolds over my overall cuffs, eye protection, Vaseline on any parts I couldn't cover, ears, cheeks etc. and wore a respirator as this stuff isn't good for your lungs!
Handy trick here, don't open the POR, just drill 2 holes in the lid so it will pour and reseal the holes with tape when your done. Lasts longer apparently. I started with the parts I had removed, inc fuel tank shield bottom, floor supports, spring cups and some brackets. I then painted both chassis rails underneath and on both faces, finishing with the top of the rail. I will be doing the front of the chassis, from the bulkhead forward at a later date.
To paint all this took around 4 hours, including a second coat on parts I won't be able to access once reassembled. I had ordered the 946ml tin which wasn't quite enough for a second coat all over, that said first impressions are that a single coat will be enough. I have purchased some more POR to do the front of the chassis, so I will give it a second coat on high impact areas just to be certain. I will be giving the outer chassis faces a quick coat of stone chip or rattle can, just to minimise the UV issues, although I don't think we get enough sun here for it to be a problem.
I binned the paint brushes and only got two blobs of POR on my skin where it leeched through my overalls. I did try to get it off but no chance, so I will wear this until it comes off over time.
Once I have reassembled the Landy I will use Dinitrol on the inside of the chassis and bulkhead, given that Landys can and do rust inside out as well Sad
Only time will tell if this POR is going to be any good, but other than my time, it is a relatively cost effective method of treating a rusty chassis. Not of course in the same league as the full Dinitrol treatment but within my budget 😉
I will keep you updated and thank you for your advice.
Regards
Andy
*Pictures in my gallery
Post #557784 21st Aug 2016 8:23pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
The only thing with POR-15 is that once it is on, it's on for good and can hide any rotting going on underneath. OK on a brand new chassis where the rust on the weld seams for instance is treated but I,m afraid it's near impossible to correct all the rust on an older chassis depending on how bad it is... on classic cars the idea is to treat lightly so you can always keep an eye on what is going on underneath, it,s the reason Bilt Hamber developed a clear product followed soon after by Dinitrol who brought out High Perfomance clear wax and Corroheat Clear!

I found metal prep and marine clean to be next to useless when I tested them when rebuilding my Series II. You really have to take the rust back to almost bare metal and apply a rust convertor with a high percentage of acid. We are up against modern environmental American regs with Marine Clean, Metal Prep etc Rolling Eyes

Dinitrol converust 900 is pricey at £15 per Aerosol and is lethal breathing it in, masks don,t seem to stop the acid fumes, I hack up phlegm every morning from the damage it has and does do to my lungs BUT it,s bloody good stuff especially compared to the weaker water based products already mentioned.

The cavity Dinitrol ML stuff in an earlier post is also just a coating, the rust inhibitor as it is described means it just blocks oxygen, and only covers rust. It doesn,t actually do anything to convert or stop the rust. You really need to get the Conversust in first or ACF-50 etc then put ML on or better use the Cavity Wax 3125 as usual...

These cheap Black and Decker belt sanders are great for getting the rust off in restricted areas...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...0wodlaULXQ

And a knotted wire brush grinder for larger surface areas.... I use a Makita one...

I have found a chisel also very handy... Ordinary wire brushes are next to useless apart from getting the top layer of looser rust off...

The above gadgets can be bought for use on a professional compressor of course...

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #557819 21st Aug 2016 9:07pm
Leaky 110

I'll second the dinitrol rust converter being horrid stuff, I have a top quality respirator and it still got me.

Finally finished today after being hostage to the weather for 2 weeks. Really pleased with the result, but with the time and effort I've put in I totally agree with the value in having someone like Zagato do it to save the stress.

Click image to enlarge
Post #559982 30th Aug 2016 3:06pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
The acid rust convertor goes straight through my mask as well, evil stuff but that is what makes it so good. It lingers in the air and can get in your eyes as well Sad I wear a full face mask when I use it now... It makes a good paint stripper also Shocked

Glad you got yours done OK Leaky, looks a thorough job, don,t forget to seal the windows and treat the bodies rust areas with ACF-50. I have just had a 2015, 2012 & 2008 plate in and you can see the deterioration of the cappings which are bare metal underneath, windscreen frame, rivets, bumpers, bulkhead, hinges etc etc let alone the chassis underneath. Catching them early saves a lot of hassle later on with body work repairs let alone loss of value to the vehicle...
Post #561009 3rd Sep 2016 11:05am
Leaky 110

The acf 50 is on order, a previous owner has done a lot of sealing but sadly it's starting to flake and disintegrate now. Only got a few tiny bits to sort now, I noticed a few wee paint bubbles underneath the body capping. Oh no!
Post #561016 3rd Sep 2016 11:40am
Essexlandy

I did the underside of mine the other day with the Flag Rust converter.

Was really easy to put on. I used a compressor with spray gun and also a parrafin/wash gun. Not messy like waxoyl. and really easy to clean up as its water based. I'll take some pictures of it.

Going to do the inside of bulkhead and doors.
Post #561071 3rd Sep 2016 5:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 36 of 86 <123 ... 353637 ... 848586>