↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Proof of 2.2 being fitted in 2012
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Zagato wrote:
.... That would make more sense, although the mechanics thought it was an extension piece - hopefully they are wrong. One of them thought the capping's were still galvanised Neutral so they could well be wrong Rolling Eyes

Wow, that's not a dealership, that's a museum! Laughing

For those interested in the evolution of the engines, as posted above the first were 1600 with overhead inlet and side exahust valves (known as "inlet over exhaust" or IOE). Then came the 2 litre, which initially was a bored out 1600 (the so-called siamesed block, since there was no water jacket between each pair of cylinders) but which soon was altered to the 'proper' 2 litre with adequate cooling.

The engine which became the classic "2.1/4 litre" first appeared as the 2 litre diesel, the first Land-Rover engine to have all overhead valves. This then evolved from the 2L diesel to the 2.1/4 petrol, then the 2.1/4 diesel (both actually 2286cc). About this time the 2.6 litre petrol came along for a relatively short time, which was in effect a six cylinder version of the 1600 IOE engine and was a real sweetie when new, a gorgeous engine!

The "six" was dropped when the Stage 3 V8 appeared, at whcih time the options were 2286cc petrol or diesel (the 2.1/4 litre 4 cylinder) or 3.5 litre V8.

Then both 2286 units became 2.5 litres, the diesel gained a turbo, the 4-cylinder petrol was dropped for UK markets, and the 2.5 TD became firstly the 200TDi then the 300TDi, which were both still 2.5 litre.

Then the 300TDi was superseded by Project Iceberg, the 5-cylinger 2.5 litre TD5 with all electronic engine management, and all die-hard enthusiasts said the world had come to an end because the electronics would be unreliable and the engine would be unmaintainable

Then the V8 was dropped from the range, and the world wept.

Then the 2.5 litre TD5 was superseded by the 2.4 litre 4-cylinder TDCi and all die-hard enthusiasts said the world had come to an end because the super-reliable and highly-tunable TD5 they were now all driving was obsolete.

So now the 2.4 TDCi is being dropped, and all die-hard enthusiasts are saying the world is coming to an end again.

Rolling with laughter
Post #72492 24th May 2011 2:29pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
blackwolf wrote:
Then the 300TDi was superseded by Project Iceberg, the 5-cylinger 2.5 litre TD5 with all electronic engine management, ...

I think you mean Project Storm. And somewhere in there (96-99), LRSA put in the 2.8i from the BMW 328, and that was the sweetest engine of them all. Thumbs Up --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #72494 24th May 2011 2:31pm
blackwolf

Naks wrote:
blackwolf wrote:
Then the 300TDi was superseded by Project Iceberg, the 5-cylinger 2.5 litre TD5 with all electronic engine management, ...

I think you mean Project Storm. And somewhere in there (96-99), LRSA put in the 2.8i from the BMW 328, and that was the sweetest engine of them all. Thumbs Up

Yes, you are right, it was Storm. So what was Iceberg, was it the Discovery 2?

There are several engines I didn't mention, including the BMW 2.8i and various other overseas powerplants. The Isuzu 2.8 is another that springs to mind.

How different it might have been if landrover hadn't been sold and resold on recent years, and the 4- and 6-cylinder versions of Storm had been built. Of course, all die-hard enthusiasts would have thought that the world had come to an end......
Post #72495 24th May 2011 2:44pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Iceberg was the planned (and shelved) diesel variant of the Rover V8 petrol.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #72496 24th May 2011 2:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

Martin wrote:
Iceberg was the planned (and shelved) diesel variant of the Rover V8 petrol.

Of course, thank you!

What an engine that would have been, indeed, apparently, was, since several prototypes were built. IIRC it was being built in conjunction with Perkins of Peterborough, shortly before the latter became subsumed into the Caterpillar conglomerate.

If only....
Post #72499 24th May 2011 3:02pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
I bet you lads are fun at parties Laughing
Post #72500 24th May 2011 3:05pm
mrandmrsh

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
blackwolf wrote:
Martin wrote:
Iceberg was the planned (and shelved) diesel variant of the Rover V8 petrol.

Of course, thank you!

What an engine that would have been, indeed, apparently, was, since several prototypes were built. IIRC it was being built in conjunction with Perkins of Peterborough, shortly before the latter became subsumed into the Caterpillar conglomerate.

If only....

There was one on show at the Gaydon BMIHT museum when I went.

The Mrs. simply did not understand me looking longingly at it with a "what might have been" stare.

C
Post #72507 24th May 2011 3:29pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
By the way, for you clip board holding train spotters, LR customer service says they are "aware of rumours on the internet about a 2.2 engine for the defender. However, no decision has been taken, no announcements have been made within the company, and we would expect to appraise the 2.2 for at least 12 months prior to making such a decision. And by the way, the Defender in 2.4 TdCI guise will be available for the 2012 MY, is available to order now for the 2012 MY, and no other derivative will be available.

so there Laughing
Post #72512 24th May 2011 3:39pm
blackwolf

BigMike wrote:
I bet you lads are fun at parties Laughing

You think I get invited to parties? Fat chance! Big Cry

Can't imagine why not...
Post #72533 24th May 2011 4:49pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
discocuzzy wrote:
God im missing that Puma engine and gearbox.......used to look forward to the sound of emptying a bag of spanners over the drive on start up, then as she settled down to idle sounding like a T34 tank, i would slip the precision gear selector into 1st and power off into the sunset............

With my latest LR product...the D4 "Miami Vice"..3.0ltr twin turbo V6 mated to a silky smooth 6 speed auto 245bhp on tap and enough torque to pull the all of the spice girls pants off (mel b is a trollope so she dont count)

Its got a great secret compartment as well to assist with stealthy drug dealing

Sonic3d wrote:
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Couldn`t of put it better myself Thumbs Up

Yawn Why dont you two get a room Rolling Eyes 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #72602 24th May 2011 9:25pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
AndrewS wrote:
discocuzzy wrote:
God im missing that Puma engine and gearbox.......used to look forward to the sound of emptying a bag of spanners over the drive on start up, then as she settled down to idle sounding like a T34 tank, i would slip the precision gear selector into 1st and power off into the sunset............

With my latest LR product...the D4 "Miami Vice"..3.0ltr twin turbo V6 mated to a silky smooth 6 speed auto 245bhp on tap and enough torque to pull the all of the spice girls pants off (mel b is a trollope so she dont count)

Sonic3d wrote:
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Couldn`t of put it better myself Thumbs Up

Yawn Why dont you two get a room Rolling Eyes

There only wishing they had a range rover Whistle Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Mr. Green

But im with them

Quote:
So now the 2.4 TDCi is being dropped, and all die-hard enthusiasts are saying the world is coming to an end again.

The only engine to lust after in a defender was the v8...that was my most favourite enjoyable car.

It laughed at others off road - poked fun at people on road and sounded so so good when you tickled the go button

Stick in a v8 (ideally a 5l SC vCool from the factory and ill be there and it will be my weekend fun car Mike
Post #72605 24th May 2011 9:35pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
mse wrote:
AndrewS wrote:
discocuzzy wrote:

Sonic3d wrote:

Yawn Why dont you two get a room Rolling Eyes

There only wishing they had a range rover Whistle Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Mr. Green

But im with them

Quote:

The only engine to lust after in a defender was the v8...that was my most favourite enjoyable car.

It laughed at others off road - poked fun at people on road and sounded so so good when you tickled the go button

Stick in a v8 (ideally a 5l SC vCool from the factory and ill be there and it will be my weekend fun car

Agree Thumbs Up 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #72612 24th May 2011 10:03pm
rangitoto

New Zealand 
Quote:
By the way, for you clip board holding train spotters, LR customer service says they are "aware of rumours on the internet about a 2.2 engine for the defender. However, no decision has been taken, no announcements have been made within the company, and we would expect to appraise the 2.2 for at least 12 months prior to making such a decision. And by the way, the Defender in 2.4 TdCI guise will be available for the 2012 MY, is available to order now for the 2012 MY, and no other derivative will be available.

so there

You might possibly be right, but that doesn't explain the confidential product brief showing only a 2.2 for MY2012 (see earlier post), and Land Rover has already been appraising a 2.2 in a Defender since at least June 2010:
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-ca...1-scooped/
Post #72613 24th May 2011 10:21pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
the pictures and article confirm absolutely nothing, its just a journo saying what he fancies, just like all the pieces about the "new" defender Laughing

to be honest, who cares anyway? its not news until LR actually confirm it and do the press release. little point in speculation.
Post #72614 24th May 2011 10:27pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Anyone like the new mg Question Mike
Post #72617 24th May 2011 10:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>