↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > My Defender.....has been born & delivered
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
kingofthesparks

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
hinged lamp guards are screwed top and bottom, the top screws are into rivenuts so it hinges on the bottom p clips
Post #59972 19th Feb 2011 12:04am
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
18stone wrote:
Right, it's back. The rear prop vibration clunking etc is still there but for some reason it only occurs in neutral when rolling up to stationary. If you flick it out of third to roll up to a standstill it's as if the spinning prop goes a little loose until it stops spinning. If you then put it in second to draw up to a stop it instantly goes. The DP acknowledges the problem and that LR haven't found a fix yet but he couldn't get it to repeat for himself. I did within 25 minutes of driving it home yesterday. If he was nearer I'd have taken it straight to him to demonstrate it. It does also only seem to occur having cruised at say 60 for a while then slowed into traffic, for example.

The snorkel fix is tidy and effective- a foam/rubber pad contoured to fill the gap pictured originally.

Other than that it's a dream to drive. I guess I'll just have to change my driving style to mitigate the problem.

I will however demonstrate the problem to my inde to see what he says.

Are you sure it's the prop? Mine did the same thing and I'm pretty sure it's the transmission brake. It only starts when the transmission is properly warm - 10-20 miles. You can eradicate it for a few miles by bringing it to a stop on the handbrake (from very low speed, obviously). The first few times, the dealer adjusted the handbrake and the problem went away. It occasionally returns but to be honest I'm going to replace it with an X-brake soon.

If you search, you should find some similar discussions.

HTH

A One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #60660 22nd Feb 2011 11:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345