↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Sony XAV-9500ES head unit in my TD5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
simongjbackhouse

Australia 2002 Defender 110 2.5 TD SW Alpine White
Sony XAV-9500ES head unit in my TD5
G’day all, Simon here - recently bought my first defender and was lucky enough to land on a 2002 TD5.
I thought I’d share one of my upgrade projects as there is generally a lot of interest in the ‘ol head unit topic. I chose and purchased a Sony XAV-9500ES - Sony’s flagship ‘ES’ series 10” unit.

I bought the truck with a MUD double DIN fascia with a kenwood unit already installed. It was completely fine running the pioneer speaker installed in the knee panel but I’ve got bigger plans with focal KX3 system with a K2 sub, so for me, the head unit needed to provide the overall best sound quality and user experience so the Sony it was. I’m sure there will be a comment or two about listening to that gorgeous engine rumble, but I figure that’s what the off button is for Very Happy

So, long-story-short, the process was to replace the MUD double din with the MUD single DIN fascia (along with some new handy buttons), and find myself a suitable single DIN cage. Beware those who are thinking of upgrading to this Sony - it’s quite deep and when I finally connect the amps, there will be a lot going on back there. The plan is to eventually extend the looms and have everything neatened up inside the dash. The good news is that it all fit in the end, and the initial concern I had about the screen getting in the way of the gear stick went away! Bow down

The Sony unit has a standard external mic and a separate GPS antenna which is necessary for wireless Apple CarPlay so I mounted those next to the rear view mirror and on the dash side panel and everything works beautifully.

I’ll keep this post live with updates as I go but please feel free to ask questions along the way. Photo below.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1021259 15th Jan 2024 11:19am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
I very recently did something similar for my P38 where I also went for a Sony (but simpler model) as I liked the fact that you can adjust the depth and height of the screen and of course the DIN1 fitting.

Yes very deep unit had to juggle wires a bit to get it in.

In your case would you not select a lower position of the screen to keep the top buttons in sight?

Click image to enlarge
Post #1021276 15th Jan 2024 2:25pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel HT Auto Pennine Grey
What size screen is yours, Tex ?
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.

50 Shades of Pennine Grey
Post #1021306 15th Jan 2024 7:45pm
simongjbackhouse

TexasRover wrote:

In your case would you not select a lower position of the screen to keep the top buttons in sight?

Great job, mate! Looks good.

I will likely adjust it down, however it depends on the ability to bend the gearstick in a vice to get it out of the way. I figured if that wasn’t possible, shifting the appropriate buttons to the front slanted section of the cubby would make sense also. A bit of effort, but if it’s done well, would be a unique mod.
Post #1021340 15th Jan 2024 10:11pm
simongjbackhouse

I have finished stage one of my interior refurb project which includes the Focal ES165KX3 mounted in speaker-specific aluminum pods on a timber dash, Focal FPS4160 mounted temporarily in the second row on a piece of ply. Stage 2 involves designing and building a centre console to replace the cubby and pass all the way through to the middle of the second row seats. This will house a 10” Focal E25KX, a second amp - Focal FPS3000, the crossovers, a few charging ports, a discrete angled iPad stand and a mountain bike thru-axle mount.

The dash has been built with a resin-filled channel where a LED strip light is mounted offering a nice, subtle glow from within the timber. It has all come together really nicely and sounds great. The doors still rattle with the 6.5” but it’s not terrible. The speakers do take up a bit of space and despite the odd design of the Powerful UK aftermarket door cards with their rectangular moulded section taking up the sensible location for a speaker, I grabbed them anyway.

Also, I was too far down the path of the dual speaker pods on the dash to consider using the door card tweeter insert. Im going to get a couple of custom window buttons made from stainless steel and anodise black to fit the circular tweeter location.

Cheers Landy lovers

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1047830 6th Oct 2024 6:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1