↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > Retrofit 11.4 Pivi Display
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
awktm

Australia 
stevemfr wrote:
This is interesting. It's a shame I didn't catch it earlier. The IIDTool can, of course, upgrade/flash the SW on an ECU. If this all that's needed, there's no need to go to a 3rd party....

Marco, did you talk to Patrick about this issue?

I did get the ecu file from Patrick however I am getting an error e2?

Click image to enlarge
Post #1041644 2nd Aug 2024 11:26am
mmbanf

Italy 
hi,
this is very interesting, I am very happy that Patrick is able to provide flash for ecu,
Is your monitor that you installed brand new or used?
I don't think it is possible to overwrite the software on a used monitor, but I am not sure, I do not know the gap tool well, with Pathfinder it is not possible to overwrite

Marco
Post #1042015 5th Aug 2024 9:27pm
awktm

Australia 
It is a new screen, gap is on holidays for 3 weeks so I will have to wait and see
Post #1042018 5th Aug 2024 10:06pm
ckamps

United States 
For those of you who successfully replaced the 10” screen with the 11.4” screen, how did you deal with the lack of room to easily attach the round cable connector to the back of the 11.4” screen?

UPDATE: I ended up using a Dremel with a cutting wheel for plastic to remove the highlighted cross member.

It doesn’t appear as though there’s sufficient room to sandwich the cables between the plastic frame attached to the rear of the screen and the snap in plastic frame. Yet keeping the cable behind the snap in frame piece doesn’t result in an easy to plug in experience.

I’m considering removing the plastic horizontal cross member in the snap in frame. See the photo below for the cross member that I might remove and the round female connector on the right side.

Note how much the snap fit plastic frame is away from the rear of the screen. It’s super difficult trying to attach the round male connector from behind the snap in frame.

Thoughts?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 2021 D90 Pangea First Edition

Last edited by ckamps on 11th Aug 2024 1:55am. Edited 3 times in total
Post #1042362 10th Aug 2024 2:17am
ckamps

United States 
For those of you who are new to pinning connectors, I realized that I had to have the pin in the following orientation facing up to get it to easily slide in and eventually click. Note the orientation of the black male connector.

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by ckamps on 12th Aug 2024 11:24pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1042363 10th Aug 2024 2:20am
ckamps

United States 
Tip for those doing the 10” to 11.4” screen retrofit: If you order the plastic and rubber parts, you might also need a set of 4 screws to attach one of the plastic frames to the rear of the 11.4” screen.

In my case, the silver screws from the rear of the 10” screen were too small in diameter to fit the rear of my OEM 11.4” screen.

Your situation might be different. For example, in one of Simon’s PowerfulUK videos on YouTube, he mentioned that, in their case, the screws from the 10” screen fit the 11.4” screen.

Luckily, I had a set of 4 M6 x 12mm screws that seem to fit perfect. Note the silver screws in the following image.

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by ckamps on 11th Aug 2024 1:59am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1042364 10th Aug 2024 2:29am
deekay

United States 
ckamps wrote:
For those of you who successfully replaced the 10” screen with the 11.4” screen, how did you deal with the lack of room to easily attach the round cable connector to the back of the 11.4” screen?

It doesn’t appear as though there’s sufficient room to sandwich the cables between the plastic frame attached to the rear of the screen and the snap in plastic frame. Yet keeping the cable behind the snap in frame piece doesn’t result in an easy to plug in experience.

I’m considering removing the plastic horizontal cross member in the snap in frame. See the photo below for the cross member that I might remove and the round female connector on the right side.

Note how much the snap fit plastic frame is away from the rear of the screen. It’s super difficult trying to attach the round male connector from behind the snap in frame.

Thoughts?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I didn’t reattach the retaining clip/pin that holds the wiring loom to the plastic bracket that the rest of the screen components click into. That made it a little easier for me to connect everything back together.
Post #1042366 10th Aug 2024 2:59am
ckamps

United States 
Vidoq wrote:
Sorry for not starting the new thread, I have an issue while retrofitting 11.6 inch screen.
Once I install it and changed the ccf to 11.6 alpine, I found on the screen - placeholder images.
Did u face the same issue?
Does anyone know how to get rid of them?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Were you able to fix this issue?

I am facing the same issue with my 2021 D90 First Edition US model. After replacing the 10” screen with the preowned 11.4” screen purchased via ebay, I used the JET Pro app from autosvs.com to modify CCF setting 641 FrntUpperDispVariant. The 11.4" display seems to work fine except for the presence of the "PLACEHOLDER" text on the Defender vehicle images.

I've also performed the PIVI reset, but it did not fix this issue.

I wonder if the issue is due to using an 11.4" screen from a donor vehicle that is not a Defender?

If so, I wonder if a full reflash of the screen's ECU is necessary to make the overlay go away.

autosvs.com support stated: "hardware issue from vehicles 20-21". But it's not clear to me if this is something I'll just need to live with or not. It doesn't bug me that much given that I'm not often displaying images of the Defender in everyday use of the PIVI screen.

Searching for this placeholder issue revealed that a UK retrofit company states in their 13.1” retrofit service: “ Price includes full screen installation and activation without any Place Holder images, unlike other companies.” -https://defender-retrofit.uk/product/pivi-...-retrofit/

So it seems like it might be a problem that can be fixed. My bet is on a reflash of the module associated with the screen. 2021 D90 Pangea First Edition
Post #1042457 11th Aug 2024 12:46am
mmbanf

Italy 
hi, I also have this little problem, I think it is due to the problem that the jaguar e-pace software, Auto where my display comes from is different from the Defender one for small details of image resolution. I did a software upgrade with Pathfinder, unfortunately since pathfinder reads a jaguar chassis it does an upgrade of that jaguar software…..you could ask Patrick of Gap if possible flashing the correct software. Otherwise it's fine, even in my case this bug compares on occasional screens.
Post #1042469 11th Aug 2024 8:41am
Dannymm

United Kingdom 
My used 11.4 screen also came from an E-Pace (2021) but I don't have this issue with the placeholder images. My Defender is a 2024 and I used the GAP G4 tool to modify the CCF file.
Post #1042547 12th Aug 2024 9:28am
mmbanf

Italy 
hello and thanks for the information, at this point if there are no problems on your car it could be a software problem of another ecu that communicates with this display, on 2024 cars it has a higher update. In the first photo the programming of my Jaguar-sourced display. In the second photo the Defender programming.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1042553 12th Aug 2024 9:55am
ALIH88

United States 
I noticed if #3 and #9 are not correct, the car will not start and the cluster will be all black.
Post #1042672 13th Aug 2024 5:15pm
alamri666

United Arab Emirates 
Vidoq wrote:
Sorry for not starting the new thread, I have an issue while retrofitting 11.6 inch screen.
Once I install it and changed the ccf to 11.6 alpine, I found on the screen - placeholder images.
Did u face the same issue?
Does anyone know how to get rid of them?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

What do you mean ?
Post #1043362 20th Aug 2024 9:06pm
bozman

United States 1995 Defender 90 V8 Petrol SW Epsom Green

Click image to enlarge

ckamps wrote:

Were you able to fix this issue?

I am facing the same issue with my 2021 D90 First Edition US model. After replacing the 10” screen with the preowned 11.4” screen purchased via ebay, I used the JET Pro app from autosvs.com to modify CCF setting 641 FrntUpperDispVariant. The 11.4" display seems to work fine except for the presence of the "PLACEHOLDER" text on the Defender vehicle images.

I've also performed the PIVI reset, but it did not fix this issue.

I wonder if the issue is due to using an 11.4" screen from a donor vehicle that is not a Defender?

If so, I wonder if a full reflash of the screen's ECU is necessary to make the overlay go away.

autosvs.com support stated: "hardware issue from vehicles 20-21". But it's not clear to me if this is something I'll just need to live with or not. It doesn't bug me that much given that I'm not often displaying images of the Defender in everyday use of the PIVI screen.

Searching for this placeholder issue revealed that a UK retrofit company states in their 13.1” retrofit service: “ Price includes full screen installation and activation without any Place Holder images, unlike other companies.” -https://defender-retrofit.uk/product/pivi-...-retrofit/

So it seems like it might be a problem that can be fixed. My bet is on a reflash of the module associated with the screen.

I am pretty sure that I am the one you bought the screen from on eBay, and I can tell you that it worked fine in my 2020 Defender 110, after I converted mine to the larger screen, but I sold my spare screen to you (which I also tested in my Defender before I sold it).

The only thing that I did different is that I used the GAP tool for my conversion.

I guess what I am saying is that I am confident that it is not the screen's fault Smile
Post #1044316 30th Aug 2024 2:32pm
ckamps

United States 
That’s useful info about your experience with a 2020 and the Gap tool combo. If and when I get around to justifying spend on the latest Gap tool, I’ll definitely see if that can fix the issue.

It would be useful for other owners who have faced the placeholder issue to share whether or not they used the Gap tool.

BTW, can’t you tell it’s your former screen based on the scratches on the left side of the black frame? Very Happy

No worries. The screen was good value compared to new. Most people won’t notice the frame blemishes and the placeholder stuff. I love the look and utility of the 11.4” screen.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by ckamps on 30th Aug 2024 3:16pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1044318 30th Aug 2024 3:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 9 <123456789>