↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Waxoiling in Berkshire
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
BigMike

United Kingdom 
So to quote zags pic, what would be the best treatment for this? A damn good brushing then a treatment with?....

[/quote]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #71185 16th May 2011 6:59pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Acid stripped or shot blasted etc then primed and painted with POR-15 or galvanised etc or for a more realistic approach you could use rust remover, acid treat the rust then POR-15. http://www.frost.co.uk/links list some relevant products Thumbs Up Many similar products others might suggest. I can recommend POR-15 highly but the marine clean & rust remover I found to be next to useless Rolling Eyes

There is no point with mine, It's too far gone to waste time and money on it. The rot is from the inside out and everything on mine has been replaced at least once. As well as having a multitude of patches on it once the rear quarter chassis has been replaced it realistically has finally had it, you can't replace it a second time.

Mine will go for a few more years then it will be another one of these Richards Chassis.

JOB DONE!

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by Zagato on 16th May 2011 8:16pm. Edited 8 times in total
Post #71187 16th May 2011 7:20pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I've got the cheap labour in training all ready for the next job so they can keep me in rebuilt Landys once I'm old and dribbling from both ends Shocked

Post #71188 16th May 2011 7:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Frosts estate agents? Rolling with laughter
Post #71195 16th May 2011 7:51pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Oops Laughing will do a proper link. http://www.frost.co.uk/links I would get the POR-15 from their Mike but others can hopefully recommend better sources of rust remover/acid treatment etc. The frosts stuff was crap and expensive.
Post #71197 16th May 2011 8:14pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
I emailed dinitrol to ask about the products with a couple of questions regarding what might be suitable. The guy just wrote back and said "just buy the big kit, that has everything you need". Yeah, thanks for that. Really helpful Rolling with laughter
Post #71530 18th May 2011 5:34pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Not good, Rolling Eyes

Mike, I have been speaking to a guy called Martin on www.Rejel.com which seem to be Dinitrols main outlet. He was very helpful and informative Thumbs Up 01234 273388
Post #71553 18th May 2011 7:24pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
The guy who emailed me is John so I may try this other chap, thank you.

Then again I'm not sure I can be bothered to do it myself. My local indy did my 90 and it's fantastic, and the likes of rustmaster seem to have a double glazing sales attitude, all sell sell sell which I LOATHE
Post #71555 18th May 2011 7:32pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Spoke to a guy last Sunday who said he payed £700 to Rustmaster to do his vehicle. The car was cleaned and Waxoyl put directly on top before it had a chance to dry. Think I would prefer one of the many places that keep the car a few days so it can be dried after the cleaning Rolling Eyes

It's really quick and easy to do Mike, about £120 for maybe 2hours max work after cleaning.
Post #71560 18th May 2011 7:38pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
You seemed to love doing yours, you do it Laughing
Post #71561 18th May 2011 7:45pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
BigMike wrote:
You seemed to love doing yours, you do it Laughing

And whilst you're up this way Zag, why not pop across country and do mine as well? Cheers! Thumbs Up

edit: Mike, I just realised that this is entirely off-topic - better get that sorted out before we are reprimanded! Back to waxoiling in Berkshire, with sincere apologies . . .
Post #71568 18th May 2011 7:50pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Laughing

actually, serious question. light rust on chassis (not the defender). needs treatment for that and some kind of waxing. What products (dinitrol) does it require?
Post #71569 18th May 2011 7:56pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Rolling with laughter Sounds like my ideal holiday tour, if only Sad
Post #71571 18th May 2011 8:04pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
BigMike wrote:
Laughing

actually, serious question. light rust on chassis (not the defender). needs treatment for that and some kind of waxing. What products (dinitrol) does it require?

Just buy the kit Mike! Laughing

If it is light surface rust then something like Ku-rust which is an acid rust converter will stop it, one little pot stretches a long way (many similar products).

Dinitrol 3125 Cavity wax will do your box sections.

Dinitrol 4941 under-body wax will go over your rust treatment and sort out the whole underside.

Dinitrol 445 Stone Chip is good for any areas that will get more wear and tear.

As said before many other products available for all these scenarios.

By the sounds of it Mike, yours gets used as intended quite regularly so you may want to do it every couple of 2-3 years. Let me re-phrase that - you may need to do it every 2-3 years.....

If a soft southener can do it, you can get off your big northern bum and get under your motor - you will know it is done properly then also Wink AND you save yourself £580 Very Happy
Post #71574 18th May 2011 8:15pm
Lorryman100

To all you waxoyling experts out there............just had mine done, so for how long will my landy smell like an oil refinery?
Post #75042 9th Jun 2011 7:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>