↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Proof of 2.2 being fitted in 2012
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
rangitoto

New Zealand 
Quote:
the pictures and article confirm absolutely nothing, its just a journo saying what he fancies, just like all the pieces about the "new" defender

What about the product brief? https://dl.dropbox.com/u/26265626/Defender%20engine.pdf
Post #72619 24th May 2011 10:35pm
NinetyTD4

Wales 2012 Defender 90 Other SW Keswick Green
BigMike wrote:
By the way, for you clip board holding train spotters, LR customer service says they are "aware of rumours on the internet about a 2.2 engine for the defender. However, no decision has been taken, no announcements have been made within the company, and we would expect to appraise the 2.2 for at least 12 months prior to making such a decision. And by the way, the Defender in 2.4 TdCI guise will be available for the 2012 MY, is available to order now for the 2012 MY, and no other derivative will be available.

so there Laughing

Surprise, surprise, my question: do they know 2012 January 1st is coming and from that day on Euro 5 is a must in EU and Ford will no longer produce the 2.4 as announced in Birmingham 2011 April anyways? Where do they get 2012 infos as there are none released yet, maybe exactly due to the reason no decision on 2012 is taken? Who knows, they might even begin the New Defender with the 2.2 Puma in the end?
Post #72633 24th May 2011 11:44pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
rangitoto wrote:
Quote:
the pictures and article confirm absolutely nothing, its just a journo saying what he fancies, just like all the pieces about the "new" defender

What about the product brief? https://dl.dropbox.com/u/26265626/Defender%20engine.pdf

who knows? You're right though, that would seem to be good evidence, but all I'm saying is that until LR themselvse actually confirm it, anything else is pointless speculation.
Post #72636 25th May 2011 12:07am
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
BigMike wrote:
who knows? You're right though, that would seem to be good evidence, but all I'm saying is that until LR themselvse actually confirm it, anything else is pointless speculation.

My dealer has already confirmed it - they are only taking orders for the 2.2 now as they have had their full allocation of 2.4 engines. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #72664 25th May 2011 10:19am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lrmaniac

Portugal 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
Hi

I don't know much about engines, but can't find any improvement on this 2.2 engine. Are there any Question

Everything remains the same ... apart from the cm3 drop.

Not even the price will change around here, as the Co2 emissions are the same and the engine would have to be below 2.0 to have some tax/price reduction ... We will pay the same for less ... Confused Regards
Joao

'10 Land Rover Defender 110 CC
'08 BMW F800GS
'64 SIIA Forward Control
'69 SIIA 109 ZA CKD
Post #72670 25th May 2011 10:45am
dgardel

Italy 

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #72671 25th May 2011 10:51am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dgardel

Italy 
lrmaniac wrote:
Hi

I don't know much about engines, but can't find any improvement on this 2.2 engine. Are there any Question

Everything remains the same ... apart from the cm3 drop.

Not even the price will change around here, as the Co2 emissions are the same and the engine would have to be below 2.0 to have some tax/price reduction ... We will pay the same for less ... Confused

NO IMPROVEMENT, ONLY FORD STOPED THE 2.4L PRODUCTION Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #72672 25th May 2011 10:53am
lrmaniac

Portugal 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
this might be a dumb question but ...

why does LR have to get stuck with Ford engine ? Can't they get another engine supplier ?

I know they can't but ... Razz Regards
Joao

'10 Land Rover Defender 110 CC
'08 BMW F800GS
'64 SIIA Forward Control
'69 SIIA 109 ZA CKD
Post #72674 25th May 2011 10:58am
NinetyTD4

lrmaniac wrote:
this might be a dumb question but ...

why does LR have to get stuck with Ford engine ? Can't they get another engine supplier ?

I know they can't but ... Razz

They constructed the current Defender when Landrover was part of Ford Industries, so it was a natural choice to take something from the shelf of the mother. They built it on the Ford transmission and made the motor compartment compatible with Ford Transit. Any other engine will require major re-engineering and that is a cost factor - especially since the New Defender / Project Icon will have to show something near future.
Post #72675 25th May 2011 11:18am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
I can't confirm this atm as I am traveling. Is the euro5 Jan 2012 requirement for passinger vehicles not commercials?

This is why the 2.2 was dropped and LR re classified all Defenders to commercial from 11my. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #72676 25th May 2011 11:32am
NinetyTD4

AndrewS wrote:
I can't confirm this atm as I am traveling. Is the euro5 Jan 2012 requirement for passinger vehicles not commercials?

This is why the 2.2 was dropped and LR re classified all Defenders to commercial from 11my.

Euro 5 became mandatory for first registration of all new constructed passenger vehicles in September 2009. For existing vehicle constructions there was a graze period in the EU until January 2011. The EU regulations apply to all M1, M2, N1 and N2 vehicles, so passenger cars and all kind of light commercials. The same game will take place with Euro 6: mandatory for all new car constructions from September 2014 on, mandatory for all first registrations starting January 2015.

The Defender was classified as commercial light utility to qualify for a special exempt from emission and pedestrian protection, which was only available to volume produced commercials (as in the corresponding catalogue the Ford Transit and the Defender are listed as one). The old 2.2 was dropped because it did not do well in the Defender. Now that Ford is stopping production of the 2.4 there was no other choice as to go the same way as the Ford Transit.
Post #72677 25th May 2011 11:49am
LESVOSD110

South Africa 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Fuji White
Zagato wrote:
blackwolf wrote:
Zagato wrote:
Looked at a new 130 today and the LR mechanics were ridiculing the cut and shut way that they now extend the chassis - it really is bad. Not even a proper long sleeve, they have seen a few coming back with problems with them... Rolling Eyes

Are you saying that LR has gone BACK to cut and shut? Shocked

In the early days, when 130s (or 127s as they were then) were built by SVO, they took 110s off the line and did this, but when the 130 got its own line the chassis were purpose-built to the right wheelbase (the early ones still usually say 110 WB on the V5).

I know that there have been some incidents recently of 130 cherry-pickers breaking in half, but I was under the impression that even these were on proper 127" wheelbase chassis (not extended). Is it possible that what you were looking at was a strengthening plate or gusset applied to the chassis? I would be shocked to find a new 130 on a cut and shut chassis, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to find that the chassis were being strengthened.

That would make more sense, although the mechanics thought it was an extension piece - hopefully they are wrong. One of them thought the capping's were still galvanised Neutral so they could well be wrong Rolling Eyes

I had a bike ram into my Puma 110 and bent the rear capping were the licence plate is.To my suprise, it's galvanised under the paint. Puma 110 SW
90 V8 SOFT TOP
Post #73745 1st Jun 2011 2:40pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
dgardel wrote:

Click image to enlarge

WHAT ABOUT THE OIL SUMP? :whistle:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #73746 1st Jun 2011 3:01pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
MK wrote:

WHAT ABOUT THE OIL SUMP? Whistle

Good point! Perhaps they've forgotten about the early 2.4 sumps Rolling with laughter (I have a nearly new one sat in my garage if anyone wants it) Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #73754 1st Jun 2011 4:27pm
NoDo$h

England 
MK wrote:
dgardel wrote:

Click image to enlarge

WHAT ABOUT THE OIL SUMP LEAK? Whistle

Don't worry, that will still be fitted as standard.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #73839 2nd Jun 2011 9:04am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>