Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma Clutch Death Rattle Again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
K9F wrote:
I'm with Russell wrote:
No disrespect intended - but maybe if some of you fellas ever get the chance to drive a Puma across a few arid bulldust filled deserts, across savannahs and tracks with foot high corrugations -
Dan (aka Scallops from AULRO)

I sympathise with those that have serious ongoing problems and I feel sometimes that I must be in a minority. I love my Puma I really do and trust it implicitly. All my niggles have been just that niggles...here is an extract of a post I made just yesterday on another thread...

"Just had my second service, wiper splines replaced due to excessive play, sidesteps replaced due to paint flaking/rust and something Loctited to prevent click each time reversed, brake vacuum pump also replaced. Running sweet as a nut at the moment no knocks, clicks, grinding, gear clunking, gear selector rattling, oil seepages or leaks or any other of the traits exibited by so many other forum member's vehicles. Maybe I'm just lucky to have such a splendid chariot!

Just because something may be rumoured to be 'built of girders' does not necessarily mean one has to test it to destruction. I value my investment and take care of it. Even in the most arduous conditions if you treat her with a little respect she won't let you down in my experience. I do not have money to throw away or the time to take my pride and joy to the dealers because I've been too heavy footed or pushed her beyond expected limits. 'No disrespect intended again' We don't indeed have bulldust deserts or savannahs, thankfully we don't have kangaroos or didgeridoos either but we did give Rolf Harris a knighthood! We are not in Holland and do have rough terrain of our own, we've even got mountain rescue teams believe it or not!
You would probably be better astride a camel to traverse your desert and savannahs, don't forget to pack clean undercrackers and take plenty of water!

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Couldnt have put it better Thumbs Up

Many cars (even toyota's) have problems.

I would trust mine - many use them in remote areas.

The first year is always a problem in production - if you know land rovers you know that.

The point on niggles is true - most of the things we complain about are niggles not failures - the clutch rattle, very few to none have had the clutch rattle = catasrophic failure, even when my vac. pump leaked i still drove the from Warwickshire to the north highlands of scotland - to a remote farm, then from there and back for 3 days to inverness! Mike
Post #36240 14th Jul 2010 8:29am
Allan

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
mse wrote:
K9F wrote:
I'm with Russell wrote:
No disrespect intended - but maybe if some of you fellas ever get the chance to drive a Puma across a few arid bulldust filled deserts, across savannahs and tracks with foot high corrugations -

I sympathise with those that have serious ongoing problems and I feel sometimes that I must be in a minority. I love my Puma I really do and trust it implicitly. All my niggles have been just that niggles...here is an extract of a post I made just yesterday on another thread...

"Just had my second service, wiper splines replaced due to excessive play, sidesteps replaced due to paint flaking/rust and something Loctited to prevent click each time reversed, brake vacuum pump also replaced. Running sweet as a nut at the moment no knocks, clicks, grinding, gear clunking, gear selector rattling, oil seepages or leaks or any other of the traits exibited by so many other forum member's vehicles. Maybe I'm just lucky to have such a splendid chariot!

Just because something may be rumoured to be 'built of girders' does not necessarily mean one has to test it to destruction. I value my investment and take care of it. Even in the most arduous conditions if you treat her with a little respect she won't let you down in my experience. I do not have money to throw away or the time to take my pride and joy to the dealers because I've been too heavy footed or pushed her beyond expected limits. 'No disrespect intended again' We don't indeed have bulldust deserts or savannahs, thankfully we don't have kangaroos or didgeridoos either but we did give Rolf Harris a knighthood! We are not in Holland and do have rough terrain of our own, we've even got mountain rescue teams believe it or not!
You would probably be better astride a camel to traverse your desert and savannahs, don't forget to pack clean undercrackers and take plenty of water!

The first year is always a problem in production - if you know land rovers you know that.

The point on niggles is true - most of the things we complain about are niggles not failures - the clutch rattle, very few to none have had the clutch rattle = catasrophic failure, even when my vac. pump leaked i still drove the from Warwickshire to the north highlands of scotland - to a remote farm, then from there and back for 3 days to inverness!

Now now boys this is not a test match! The point made regarding a vehicle's reliability is paramount regardless of whether you are north of Inverness in very cold and icey conditions, or in the middle of the Simpson Desert in 48 deg c heat. You can die in both situations. Land Rover have always advertised their vehicles as tough go anywhere 4x4's, but I think the Puma needs to toughen up a little before I take it somewhere that the neareat dealer or expert is 1500km away and there aint nobody to help.

Allan
Post #36249 14th Jul 2010 10:04am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Allan wrote:
mse wrote:
K9F wrote:
I'm with Russell wrote:

The point on niggles is true - most of the things we complain about are niggles not failures - the clutch rattle, very few to none have had the clutch rattle = catasrophic failure, even when my vac. pump leaked i still drove the from Warwickshire to the north highlands of scotland - to a remote farm, then from there and back for 3 days to inverness!

Now now boys this is not a test match! The point made regarding a vehicle's reliability is paramount regardless of whether you are north of Inverness in very cold and icey conditions, or in the middle of the Simpson Desert in 48 deg c heat. You can die in both situations. Land Rover have always advertised their vehicles as tough go anywhere 4x4's, but I think the Puma needs to toughen up a little before I take it somewhere that the neareat dealer or expert is 1500km away and there aint nobody to help.

Allan

But my point was how many of these vehciles have actually let us down? My situation as to highlight although the pump was straying oil everywhere - we still did 700 miles easily and it was in the snow of that year! Mike
Post #36250 14th Jul 2010 10:10am
Allan

Excellent point Mike but with only a couple of dealers in an area much larger and more desolate than Europe reliability is a real concern. First you have to get the vehicle to a reasonably sized town, very difficult at times, then you have to approach the a transport company and arrange a road train to transport it from the far north to either Karratha or Perth. That would be like Moscow to London! As you can see we need reliability as this sort of situation would ruin any holiday up in the north west.

Allan
Post #36253 14th Jul 2010 10:31am
NoDo$h

England 
IWR, given the work your vehicle is put to, do you have yours on the Arduous Service Schedule? (Poor acronymn, but genuine). Vehicles being used in harsh environments are recommended to undergo a much more thorough service regime with shorter intervals. LRAustralia or your dealer should be able to advise. 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #36257 14th Jul 2010 11:37am
Allan

NoDo$h wrote:
IWR, given the work your vehicle is put to, do you have yours on the Arduous Service Schedule? (Poor acronymn, but genuine). Vehicles being used in harsh environments are recommended to undergo a much more thorough service regime with shorter intervals. LRAustralia or your dealer should be able to advise.

I can't get them to replace a goosed clutch in Perth, what would they do in Rudall River National Park? My vehicle has done less than 20,000 kms and has been serviced 4 times since new - surely this is sufficient for any vehicle? Land Rover opened up this country, the gun barrel highway and so on, where are the know? Its no wonder Toyota have such a large market here as nobody seems to care, including Land Rover Australia.

Allan
Post #36258 14th Jul 2010 12:01pm
Scallops

Australia 
NoDo$h wrote:

Let me say, I appreciate the comments of alwoodley 72 et al, who appear, at least, to still be objective about these vehicles. I think it's a useful function of such forums to be able to have an opportunity to not only sing LR's praises, but to discuss the less happy aspects of ownership, without getting too carried away - although perhaps I will consider suggestions such as using camels etc in future when I venture into the unknown!

That said, after re-reading my initial response to this thread - perhaps I might have come across in a somewhat unintended fashion - what I meant to convey was my feeling that the conditions these vehicles are generally used under, tested under, and built under, are rather different to those in which I find myself in. And knowing many folks here (in Australia) with very reliable TDI / TD5 Defenders - I wonder what has happened in the development of this one?

But to your comment NoDo$h; AFAIK - all Australian service schedules are on the Arduous Service Schedule - our service intervals are 10 000km whereas I believe yours are up to 20 000km.

We are also advised to service diff oils etc (daily if necessary) such as when deep water crossings are made.

I really don't believe the issues my vehicle has endured are due to any lack of mechanical attention. Here is a brief listing of what has happened to my Defender....

1) Brake master cylinder replaced after hole rubbed through bonnet caused by track corrugations.
2) Intercooler hose ruptured due to corrugations causing rub on steering knuckles.
3) Both front axle ABS sensors failed.
4) Steel plates protecting rear disc brakes fatigue cracked - lucky I heard them rattle and removed them before they severed my brake lines. I have heard of another Puma in the Kimberley where this happened - his brake lines were severed.
5) Front prop shaft bashed into sump pan.
6) Rear prop shaft replaced due to harmonic vibration issue.
7) Transfer case replaced after bearing noise became apparent.
Cool Passenger side mirror fell off on corrugated tracks.
9) Rear window winder fell off on corrugated roads.
10) Stereo ceased to operate after driving in dust and corrugated roads.
11) Brake Vacuum pump leaked oil.
12) Rear axle replaced after excessive spline wear.
13) Gearbox replaced after inability to repair synchromesh issues.
14) Clutch replaced when gearbox removed - excessive wear.
15) Steering box replaced after leaking hydraulic fluid.
16) Both front swivel seals replaced after weeping.
17) Front Uni joint replaced due to excessive wear and rust formation.
1Cool Steering ball joint replaced after free play noted - causes "clunk" when turning - moving off forward or in reverse.
19) EGR valve failed - replaced.
20) Centre differential on off light replaced.
21) Squeaking clutch pedal replaced.
22) Sliding rear window replaced when window felt jammed window open. I "fixed" this but window replaced.
23) Front passenger side gutter separated from body work.
24) Prop shaft bolts fallen out numerous times.

Whilst some of these items are trivial - many are not. I must also add that LRA have fixed all these issues under warranty.

But for the record, I've also used a number of brand new Nissan Patrols in my work. I cannot remember ever having a single issues whatsoever with these trucks. That said, they couldn't carry as much, nor were they as comfortable (I know that might sound odd but I really like the Defender driving position)

I drive a LR for personal reasons. My grandfather was a British engineer in India after the war - and his Series 1 was a vehicle he brought to Australia and with which I have fond childhood memories. I now have one too.

My grandfather used to talk endlessly about the wonderful engineering that the LR employed. He was quite right - I appreciate that element too and simply love all things Land Rover. But I feel he would be rather disappointed with the 2007 offering, as I am. I have felt compelled to purchase an additional 3 years of warranty and hope that I might enter a trouble free period during this time. If so - I'll be very happy with my Puma.

I am, at least, encouraged to read that so many here seem very happy with your vehicles. I hope this feeling stays with you as your vehicles come out of warranty and you clock up some additional miles.
Post #36262 14th Jul 2010 12:41pm
NoDo$h

England 
I think it's fair to say Shocked in response to your list.

Shocked 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #36276 14th Jul 2010 2:59pm
Allan

I'm with Russell wrote:
NoDo$h wrote:

Let me say, I appreciate the comments of alwoodley 72 et al, who appear, at least, to still be objective about these vehicles. I think it's a useful function of such forums to be able to have an opportunity to not only sing LR's praises, but to discuss the less happy aspects of ownership, without getting too carried away - although perhaps I will consider suggestions such as using camels etc in future when I venture into the unknown!

That said, after re-reading my initial response to this thread - perhaps I might have come across in a somewhat unintended fashion - what I meant to convey was my feeling that the conditions these vehicles are generally used under, tested under, and built under, are rather different to those in which I find myself in. And knowing many folks here (in Australia) with very reliable TDI / TD5 Defenders - I wonder what has happened in the development of this one?

But to your comment NoDo$h; AFAIK - all Australian service schedules are on the Arduous Service Schedule - our service intervals are 10 000km whereas I believe yours are up to 20 000km.

We are also advised to service diff oils etc (daily if necessary) such as when deep water crossings are made.

I really don't believe the issues my vehicle has endured are due to any lack of mechanical attention. Here is a brief listing of what has happened to my Defender....

1) Brake master cylinder replaced after hole rubbed through bonnet caused by track corrugations.
2) Intercooler hose ruptured due to corrugations causing rub on steering knuckles.
3) Both front axle ABS sensors failed.
4) Steel plates protecting rear disc brakes fatigue cracked - lucky I heard them rattle and removed them before they severed my brake lines. I have heard of another Puma in the Kimberley where this happened - his brake lines were severed.
5) Front prop shaft bashed into sump pan.
6) Rear prop shaft replaced due to harmonic vibration issue.
7) Transfer case replaced after bearing noise became apparent.
Cool Passenger side mirror fell off on corrugated tracks.
9) Rear window winder fell off on corrugated roads.
10) Stereo ceased to operate after driving in dust and corrugated roads.
11) Brake Vacuum pump leaked oil.
12) Rear axle replaced after excessive spline wear.
13) Gearbox replaced after inability to repair synchromesh issues.
14) Clutch replaced when gearbox removed - excessive wear.
15) Steering box replaced after leaking hydraulic fluid.
16) Both front swivel seals replaced after weeping.
17) Front Uni joint replaced due to excessive wear and rust formation.
1Cool Steering ball joint replaced after free play noted - causes "clunk" when turning - moving off forward or in reverse.
19) EGR valve failed - replaced.
20) Centre differential on off light replaced.
21) Squeaking clutch pedal replaced.
22) Sliding rear window replaced when window felt jammed window open. I "fixed" this but window replaced.
23) Front passenger side gutter separated from body work.
24) Prop shaft bolts fallen out numerous times.

Whilst some of these items are trivial - many are not. I must also add that LRA have fixed all these issues under warranty.

But for the record, I've also used a number of brand new Nissan Patrols in my work. I cannot remember ever having a single issues whatsoever with these trucks. That said, they couldn't carry as much, nor were they as comfortable (I know that might sound odd but I really like the Defender driving position)

I drive a LR for personal reasons. My grandfather was a British engineer in India after the war - and his Series 1 was a vehicle he brought to Australia and with which I have fond childhood memories. I now have one too.

My grandfather used to talk endlessly about the wonderful engineering that the LR employed. He was quite right - I appreciate that element too and simply love all things Land Rover. But I feel he would be rather disappointed with the 2007 offering, as I am. I have felt compelled to purchase an additional 3 years of warranty and hope that I might enter a trouble free period during this time. If so - I'll be very happy with my Puma.

I am, at least, encouraged to read that so many here seem very happy with your vehicles. I hope this feeling stays with you as your vehicles come out of warranty and you clock up some additional miles.

I agree, a great vehicle that is in need of help from it manufacturer. I also will be going with the additional warrenty as a trip down the Gibb River Road and fishing for Kimberleys Barra is coming soon and I simply find it not reliable enougth for the 2-3 thousand km round trip. I don't think the TD5 would fit all the crap the wife likes to take or I would take it. This is a sorry situation as this vehicle, with all its extras, ows me about $80 grand Australian so any normal man can see why I am Censored off. A great vehicle the Puma but I am begining to think British Layland have re purchesed Land Rover.

Allan
Post #36278 14th Jul 2010 3:42pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I'm with Russell,

I agree with both Allan and yourself, rational debate and the sharing of experiences (good or bad) is healthy, in my opinion vilification is not! I am truly amazed that you still persevere with your Puma. Shocked I may only have reached a second service on my Puma for which I apologise, but in possible mitigation of your implication of my lack of experience I have 'bought into the marque of Land Rover' for some considerable time and driven them for many many years.

I can also understand your exacerbated frustration at being continually let down by something you so dearly wish to be more reliable, especially being so isolated in your journeys and the logistics behind recovery of your vehicle when it does let you down. We over here are indeed lucky, not only do we have the manufacturers but a multitude of dealers within a stones throw of our front doors in comparison to yourself. I have five main dealers and four independants within a 70 mile radius of my work and home addresses that I know of (there's probably more).

Indeed as an engineer myself we would all like to achieve that 'Holy Grail' of owning something mechanical that would never let us down through fatigue, environmental impact, abuse or anything else we would like to throw at it....but we all know that is not achievable.

Allan stated that his vehicle owes him about $80,000 that equates to about £45,700. Is that not possibly a case of throwing good money after bad, after all that would buy another two second hand good example Pumas over here?

Good and bad in everything...Sorry you appear to have a 'baddun' I probably would have moved on to another marque or at the very least another Puma by now if I were you!

As a footnote mates of mine over here would rather trailer their off-road vehicle to their off roading destination as they have an assured means of getting home in the event of problems. So we too don't necessarily implicitly rely on our vehicles capability or indeed reliability either despite being at dealers doorsteps.

Finally in summation and in such dire conditions such as yours and being in the current position of "I have a 1956 Series 1 - it's a vehicle I trust more than my 07 Puma!" Life and livelihood depending on it I would use the 1956 model everytime, chop in the Puma and get a couple of extra old uns instead maybe a 300tdi or two, or move to something rumoured to be more reliable! There is no 'quick fix' or answer to all your woes and I am sympathetic but I do not think Land Rover are about to change their entire Quality Control System on a model of vehicle that is about to be replaced and has one foot in the grave and another on a banana skin! Do you?

Who knows maybe they'll get it right on the Defender replacement but I for one will not be rushing off to the bookmakers to check what odds they'll give me. My love for them will not wane either I suspect!

I wish you well. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #36293 14th Jul 2010 6:40pm
LROV90

Australia 
While we are compiling a list that hopefully LR might read, my brother and I both have PUMAS (I told him not to buy one!)

Mine:

Turbo, clutch, transfer case, gear lever, egr valve and vac pump.

Brother:

2x rear diff, front diff, gearbox, gear lever, clutch, vac pump and they are in the process of putting in his THIRD engine.

These are only the major items, and LR has kindly replaced them all without issue, but really! I agree totally with the worry about reliability, I worry just towing the boat up the coast, you almost expect to lose a few days of holidays. And I know I can't afford one outside warranty - who has the spare cash for a 20k engine.

I also cant understand how LR can afford to sell them?

Both our cars have done under 50000km!
Post #36344 15th Jul 2010 2:12am
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
If you have only had those small problems i would not worry too much its a defender i've been told Thumbs Up NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #36345 15th Jul 2010 2:20am
dgardel

Italy 
LROV90 wrote:

.............and they are in the process of putting in his THIRD engine.

what's the engine problem? Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #36349 15th Jul 2010 7:38am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LROV90

Australia 
All the engine problems seem to be a rattle / piston slap due to lack of oil with those funny oil valves?!!
Post #36350 15th Jul 2010 7:52am
spenceton

Re:
Quote:
Summary: This Technical Bulletin is to advise that the transmission selector shaft detents are now available as a serviceable part. Therefore it is no longer necessary to replace the complete transmission assembly
for concerns related to the transmission selector shaft detents (transmission stuck in gear).

Should it become necessary to replace the transmission selector shaft detents, refer to the new procedure detailed in Global Technical Reference GTR Workshop Manual, section 308-03.

I do agree that it is irrelevant to replace the transmission assembly. It would be safe to say that it could be a gear selector issue.

Last edited by spenceton on 11th Dec 2010 2:56am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #48077 10th Dec 2010 6:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>