↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma Clutch Death Rattle Again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Dan - no disrespect intended. If you find the puma so bad, why do you still drive one ?

We don't have any arid bulldust deserts or savannahs in the UK - working on it with the current weather Laughing -
but I use my vehicle a fair amount off road, not green lanes with hedgehogs, but real offroad. as do a fair few on this forum, and I have not had a single failure whilst out and about.

I agree, we do not have the vast expanse of Australia to drive in but some of the conditions we do have are very harsh.

Bob
Post #36118 13th Jul 2010 10:50am
Scallops

Australia 
bob neville wrote:
Dan - no disrespect intended. If you find the puma so bad, why do you still drive one ?

We don't have any arid bulldust deserts or savannahs in the UK - working on it with the current weather Laughing -
but I use my vehicle a fair amount off road, not green lanes with hedgehogs, but real offroad. as do a fair few on this forum, and I have not had a single failure whilst out and about.

I agree, we do not have the vast expanse of Australia to drive in but some of the conditions we do have are very harsh.

Bob

Hello Bob - I still drive one because I invested a large wad of cash in it and selling it will galvanise a not insignificant loss - In short, I am hoping it still might turn out to become a vehicle that I can trust, but so far, this is proving to be little more than wishful thinking. Issue after issue have plagued my ownership. That is not good enough for a brand new vehicle.

But you are right - I do question why I still drive it and have indeed begun looking at alternatives. I guess we all know the strange hold these vehicles manage to cast upon us all - even when we are cursing them.
Post #36120 13th Jul 2010 11:17am
CapeLandy

South Africa 
Here in Africa I can say the same thing - The Puma is not reliable enough where you can get caught out in the middle of nowhere and be stuck for days without seing someone. Too many failures for comfort.- (besides the one self inflicted mishap Embarassed )
Makes driving remote more nerve wracking instead of enjoyable.
I am also sticking it out in the hope that she will settle down soon after everything has been replaced.
Otherwise the TD5 will be the next investment
Post #36122 13th Jul 2010 11:42am
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I agree with the last two posts, I would not want to be a vast distance out in the middle of nowhere with an unreliable vehicle.

Dan -totally agree that a brand new vehicle should not have some of the issues that the puma has. Having had my first puma replaced after a month due to major problems I think I know what you mean.

The biggest problem with the puma I find is that once you have driven one for a few months you just don't want to get rid of it , warts and all Thumbs Up

Bob
Post #36123 13th Jul 2010 11:49am
Allan

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
bob neville wrote:
OK the details.

The clue to the fix was in my other post on this ' can we succeed where LR have failed'.

To quote myself

'On the Td5 there was a box under the coolant bottle, lid held on by six screws with a switch attached. If the cover of this was removed it revealed a bar with some half lock nuts. This was used to adjust the clutch pedal position and the grab point. Does this exist on the puma '

A similar set up does exist on the Puma and it part of its function is to adjust the rods connected to the pistons on, I guess, the master cylinder.

This is set up at the factory and is supposed to be set for life hence the reason it does not appear in the workshop manual.

Once the LR engineer had adjusted it everything worked correctly - I knew I should have told the garage about my suspicions last week but not seeing anything in the manual about it I did not bother.

Clutch operation and gear change is now excellent, far better than the second clutch, and there is no crunching of gears from first to second and second to third Thumbs Up

Yeovil LR have entered all the details of the work done on the LR warranty database so any dealer can access it.

If you have this problem and the dealer can't find the info PM me and I will send you my registration number which will take the dealer directly to my vehicle's details.

Bob

Hi Bob , adjustment makes sense, when you look at the stroke distances in the manual it should have been obvious to the dealers of the importance of these measurements. Glad to hear its fixed, meantime mine still rattles, but I am assured it's within normal parameters. Big Cry Big Cry

Allan
Post #36151 13th Jul 2010 4:10pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Allan wrote:
bob neville wrote:
OK the details.

The clue to the fix was in my other post on this ' can we succeed where LR have failed'.

To quote myself

'On the Td5 there was a box under the coolant bottle, lid held on by six screws with a switch attached. If the cover of this was removed it revealed a bar with some half lock nuts. This was used to adjust the clutch pedal position and the grab point. Does this exist on the puma '

A similar set up does exist on the Puma and it part of its function is to adjust the rods connected to the pistons on, I guess, the master cylinder.

This is set up at the factory and is supposed to be set for life hence the reason it does not appear in the workshop manual.

Once the LR engineer had adjusted it everything worked correctly - I knew I should have told the garage about my suspicions last week but not seeing anything in the manual about it I did not bother.

Clutch operation and gear change is now excellent, far better than the second clutch, and there is no crunching of gears from first to second and second to third Thumbs Up

Yeovil LR have entered all the details of the work done on the LR warranty database so any dealer can access it.

If you have this problem and the dealer can't find the info PM me and I will send you my registration number which will take the dealer directly to my vehicle's details.

Bob

Hi Bob , adjustment makes sense, when you look at the stroke distances in the manual it should have been obvious to the dealers of the importance of these measurements. Glad to hear its fixed, meantime mine still rattles, but I am assured it's within normal parameters. Big Cry Big Cry

Allan

this is or was always part of basic clutch setup, it would seem there is some skill fade with dealers if no one can remember it! Cheers

James
110 2012 XS Utility
130 2011 M57 bespoke Camper
90 2010 Hardtop
90 M57 1988 Hardtop
Post #36153 13th Jul 2010 4:32pm
Allan

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
jst wrote:
Allan wrote:
bob neville wrote:
OK the details.

To quote myself

Bob

Allan

this is or was always part of basic clutch setup, it would seem there is some skill fade with dealers if no one can remember it!

For sure, I was a mechanic 35 years ago, then went into mental health nursing. Before I bought my Puma I used to play with WRX Subaru's. I had a tune done on my Rex and within a week or so it used to drop into limp mode. The guy setting it up was the Australian rally champs engineer and after many hours of laptop time suggested I fit an Autronic ecu to stop it dropping timing as the flash was sensing a knock. I did this at $2000 plus only to find three months later that the original dyno tune had blown a ring. No one did a comp. test at this time, atest I assumed was standard. We used to do a comp. test at every service, this is basics. All they seem to know now is what the computer tells them. Lost art being a mechanic

Allan.
Post #36155 13th Jul 2010 4:49pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Lets not forget guys - whilst there are a few of us on here with issues (and some who arent) - there are thousands without working them hard.

I think many cars have problems when new. Even (dare i say) the TD5's, to some extent the plastic dowels (as one example) was much worse, especially as it took whatchdog to get them to deal with it.

So i dont think its all bad - i would agree you dont want to be left stranded...but add anywhere - just less so in the middle of the desert Exclamation Rolling with laughter Mike
Post #36158 13th Jul 2010 5:23pm
alwoodley72

England 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Alaska White
i'm with i'm with russel et al, i have had mine 2 years bought at 9 months old and it now has 85k onit. i use it for work and it is very comfortable and powerful but....

it has cost me a small fortune in down time going to the dealers approx 40 times in 2 years. these visits range from 'minor' niggles likewhole new wiper system after it broke on the a34 at night, in the rain...

to majors in the drivetrain diffs, props and driveshafts, clutch,gearsticks, egr valves, complete new brake system (apart from pipes)-you get the picture.

i have had enough of mine and am ready to take the hit financially and rely on our trusty old 200 tdi 90 and soft dash rangie. land rover do not want to compensate me or give any goodwill gestures, the service manager threatened me when i said mine was not fixed and i wouldnt give his car back..

great product badly built and a company inherently apathetic and reliant on high end motor sales, not the likes of me and thee..

good luck you guys out there coming out of warranty and racking up the miles
Post #36210 13th Jul 2010 10:15pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I'm with Russell wrote:
No disrespect intended - but maybe if some of you fellas ever get the chance to drive a Puma across a few arid bulldust filled deserts, across savannahs and tracks with foot high corrugations -
Dan (aka Scallops from AULRO)

I sympathise with those that have serious ongoing problems and I feel sometimes that I must be in a minority. I love my Puma I really do and trust it implicitly. All my niggles have been just that niggles...here is an extract of a post I made just yesterday on another thread...

"Just had my second service, wiper splines replaced due to excessive play, sidesteps replaced due to paint flaking/rust and something Loctited to prevent click each time reversed, brake vacuum pump also replaced. Running sweet as a nut at the moment no knocks, clicks, grinding, gear clunking, gear selector rattling, oil seepages or leaks or any other of the traits exibited by so many other forum member's vehicles. Maybe I'm just lucky to have such a splendid chariot!

Just because something may be rumoured to be 'built of girders' does not necessarily mean one has to test it to destruction. I value my investment and take care of it. Even in the most arduous conditions if you treat her with a little respect she won't let you down in my experience. I do not have money to throw away or the time to take my pride and joy to the dealers because I've been too heavy footed or pushed her beyond expected limits. 'No disrespect intended again' We don't indeed have bulldust deserts or savannahs, thankfully we don't have kangaroos or didgeridoos either but we did give Rolf Harris a knighthood! We are not in Holland and do have rough terrain of our own, we've even got mountain rescue teams believe it or not!
You would probably be better astride a camel to traverse your desert and savannahs, don't forget to pack clean undercrackers and take plenty of water!

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #36218 13th Jul 2010 11:25pm
Scallops

Australia 
K9F wrote:
I'm with Russell wrote:
No disrespect intended - but maybe if some of you fellas ever get the chance to drive a Puma across a few arid bulldust filled deserts, across savannahs and tracks with foot high corrugations -
Dan (aka Scallops from AULRO)

I sympathise with those that have serious ongoing problems and I feel sometimes that I must be in a minority. I love my Puma I really do and trust it implicitly. All my niggles have been just that niggles...here is an extract of a post I made just yesterday on another thread...

"Just had my second service, wiper splines replaced due to excessive play, sidesteps replaced due to paint flaking/rust and something Loctited to prevent click each time reversed, brake vacuum pump also replaced. Running sweet as a nut at the moment no knocks, clicks, grinding, gear clunking, gear selector rattling, oil seepages or leaks or any other of the traits exibited by so many other forum member's vehicles. Maybe I'm just lucky to have such a splendid chariot!

Just because something may be rumoured to be 'built of girders' does not necessarily mean one has to test it to destruction. I value my investment and take care of it. Even in the most arduous conditions if you treat her with a little respect she won't let you down in my experience. I do not have money to throw away or the time to take my pride and joy to the dealers because I've been too heavy footed or pushed her beyond expected limits. 'No disrespect intended again' We don't indeed have bulldust deserts or savannahs, thankfully we don't have kangaroos or didgeridoos either but we did give Rolf Harris a knighthood! We are not in Holland and do have rough terrain of our own, we've even got mountain rescue teams believe it or not!
You would probably be better astride a camel to traverse your desert and savannahs, don't forget to pack clean undercrackers and take plenty of water!

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Really mate - you need to take off the rose coloured glasses. You've had your 2nd service - and your vehicle is still going OK!!! Wow - what a track record.
Post #36225 13th Jul 2010 11:59pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Bow down Bow down

If you hadn't been quite so 'No disrespect intended' sanctimonious and self-righteous my rose coloured spectacles as you so eloquently put it would have stayed exactly where they were! Sorry we in Blighty are obviously not as bullsh...oops! bulldust and savannah experienced as yourself!
Zzzzz sorry... yawn...
Fell asleep there for a moment! I hereby yield to and register and acknowledge your vast experience above anyone else..you are the veritable font of all knowledge pertaining Land Rover off-roading, obviously! Bored now nite nite! Laughing Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #36226 14th Jul 2010 12:07am
Scallops

Australia 
As a Geologist, I do have a habit of going to remote and challenging places. I look at a Defender and surmise it as indeed being intended for such work - rather than being a "drive to the shops" type of vehicle. The point is, I am not "driving it to the point of destruction" - I'm using it as it's makers surely intended. That said - I do drive it carefully and service it properly. The fact is - if I take mine out to the middle of nowhere - something will fail - it has on every occasion I have tried. And that's just not good enough, especially for a new vehicle. My 1956 Series 1 is more reliable.

My original post was, as stated, without disrespect, because I understand most here won't get to use their vehicles as I do. So - point one - I am not trying to prove any superman status here. This is supposed to be a place where one's experience concerning these vehicles may be shared - in this way, hopefully we might all learn something from the experience of others. But it seems when someone, who has ventured beyond the norm (and well beyond their 2nd service) - dares to offer the suggestion that these vehicles are not as good as they should be - not as good as the models which proceeded them, and certainly not as good as the competition - they are treated as some kind of heretic.

I understand you love your vehicle and are proud of it - but until you've had the benefit of many more miles of ownership, might I suggest your trust in this vehicle may be misplaced. I hope it proves not to be the case. But i know many who own this vehicle - none have been free from major dramas as the odometer winds on and a few short years pass.

You might just want to read just the good news on such forums - I want some real information.
Post #36230 14th Jul 2010 1:53am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Im a geologist as well and everybody here use toyota-nissan-mitsu-chev-ford 4wd pickups, except one company.

Most of the fleet of 15 are Td5`s and run ok. The 2-3 Pumas he has I´ve seen them as often I visit the stealer. The brand new 130 had the gearbox knackered because the front prop UJ´s banged and hit the case.

Guess where is this chap from Whistle

I love my Puma and I intent to have it for a long time. I also hope all to get rid from all the problems. vaccum pump, oil pan and clutch are just things can not fail in the middle of nowhere. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #36231 14th Jul 2010 2:37am
alwoodley72

England 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Alaska White
funny how different people read different things i have no problem with im with russell stating facts and i have no problem with people being die hard fans such as k9f, but we must make sure that these forums help people by sticking to the facts...

i love my land rovers having had the whole range over the years and know what to expect, so this is why i am dissapointed with the puma. i do not hammer it, i tow a trailer, go in fields, use low range once every 3 months and basically use it as a car. the 90 gets hammered and does not let me down.my 1st disco did 500mile trips with a 3,5 ton trailer up and down the m1 no probs.

i thought i was doing the right thing spending 20k on the puma, it has been my worst financial investment of recent years. even the dealer mechanics recognise that it is a stop gap, hastily hand built, poor backup from head office and waiting for the new model. this does not help us and problems need to be highlighted and rectified to ensure continued brand loyalty. i am rather stuck as we tow a 3.5 ton trailer so are stuck with lr products until i can afford the new touareg...

i do genuinely smile when i hear that 'all i had on the service was rusty bits and the broken windscreen wipers and bolts about to fall off in the drivetrain' is a good visit, most people would be up in arms but not us l/r people Laughing
Post #36239 14th Jul 2010 8:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>