37%
 37%  [20]
Total Votes: 54

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
kingofthesparks

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
B+e will be valid as long as you have a licence , though c1,d1 by grandfather rights will expire at you 70 th birthday unless you have a medical and specifically request it is needed otherwise they will automatically remove, this has cause some issues with over 70 and very large motor homes who have not realised the category has been removed and they are driving unlicensed .
Post #176120 15th Oct 2012 10:16pm
110woman

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Buckingham Blue
I've got a lovely shade of green paper one, with particularly thin, see-through bits on the folded seams and with one corner that appears to have disappeared somewhere at some point. It also has a very lovely signature that bears no resemblance to mine for years now Mr. Green
Post #176123 15th Oct 2012 10:29pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
IF you are caught driving after the expiring date of your photo driving licence and have not renewed it you are likely to be charged with driving without a licence under section 87 (1) of the Road Traffic Act 1988

Now if the charge was something like driving without a recent photo on your licence that would be a clearer more concise approach

So there are different expiry dates on photo licence and counterpart but there is no clear indication of what licence the government is referring to when it talks about expiry dates on licences.

Ho hum as clear as mud! Yes it can be difficult for the 'average law abiding motorist' to be confident that they are 100% legal.

Brendan
Post #176125 15th Oct 2012 10:32pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
There are two ways of looking at the old v new licences.

If you have an old on there is no need to renew it- there is no expiry date on it so it is valid forever (providing medicals etc).

BUT

To legally drive in Europe you need a photo card licence- in Germany, Holland and Cyprus (from experience) only want the card and not the paper part.

Because the new licence has a photo it has a 10 year valid period- just like your passport. So yes if it expires you can be done for driving without a licence in the same way if you try to cross a border with an expired passport you will be going nowhere!

Due to the old licences being flimsy and most people were changing them every few years they decided to have a policy of new licences from a certain date and then if you need to renew an old one you have to get a new one. I would say 99% of the UK are now on the new type....... just some die-hard fans still getting by on the old licences, lol.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #176140 16th Oct 2012 5:47am
kingofthesparks

Done my tests for G - road rollers and H - tracked vehicles (tanks) earlier this year Thumbs Up
Post #176144 16th Oct 2012 6:42am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
kingofthesparks wrote:
B+e will be valid as long as you have a licence , though c1,d1 by grandfather rights will expire at you 70 th birthday unless you have a medical and specifically request it is needed otherwise they will automatically remove, this has cause some issues with over 70 and very large motor homes who have not realised the category has been removed and they are driving unlicensed .

Actually B and B+E also expire on your 70th birthday but can be renewed by application, which includes a self-declaration that you are still fit to drive. I was under the impression that C1 and C1+E by virtue of grandfather rights are the same (application only) since at the time of passing the test there was no additional medical requirement, so the forwarning is useful.

C1, C1+E, C and C+E which have been obtained by taking the test (and in fact C anc C+E which have been obtained by virtue of inherited rights from an old HGV1/2/3 test) expire on your 50th birthday and are renewed every five years. This application of course requires a medical exam and certificate signed off by a medical practitioner.

The situation is same as far as I know for the D categories.

As stated the expiry date of the photocard licence is not connected to the expiry date of your entitlement to drive various classes of vehicle. If you licence has expired however you don't have a licence (and I suppose consequently you aren't adequately insured).

One advantage of having C/CE and being over 50 is that you don't have to worry about renewing the licence, it happens automatically at the category renewal closest to the expiry date. The downside is that you're paying nearly £100 every five years to keep the entitlement!
Post #176197 16th Oct 2012 10:28am
kingofthesparks

blackwolf wrote:
kingofthesparks wrote:

Actually B and B+E also expire on your 70th birthday but can be renewed by application, which includes a self-declaration that you are still fit to drive. I was under the impression that C1 and C1+E by virtue of grandfather rights are the same (application only) since at the time of passing the test there was no additional medical requirement, so the forwarning is useful.

C1, C1+E, C and C+E which have been obtained by taking the test (and in fact C anc C+E which have been obtained by virtue of inherited rights from an old HGV1/2/3 test) expire on your 50th birthday and are renewed every five years. This application of course requires a medical exam and certificate signed off by a medical practitioner.

The situation is same as far as I know for the D categories.

As stated the expiry date of the photocard licence is not connected to the expiry date of your entitlement to drive various classes of vehicle. If you licence has expired however you don't have a licence (and I suppose consequently you aren't adequately insured).

One advantage of having C/CE and being over 50 is that you don't have to worry about renewing the licence, it happens automatically at the category renewal closest to the expiry date. The downside is that you're paying nearly £100 every five years to keep the entitlement!

It's 45 then every 5 years not 50, and who pays £100 for a medical Shocked your going to the wrong place
Post #176303 16th Oct 2012 7:21pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
When I did the medical for my class 2 (work were paying) it was indeed £100 - thats Oxfordshire for you! Usual rate is about £75-£100 so far as I have seen.
Post #176308 16th Oct 2012 7:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kingofthesparks

Drivers medicals.com £51 Thumbs Up
Post #176309 16th Oct 2012 7:29pm
kingofthesparks

Or doctors on wheels £51 also
Post #176310 16th Oct 2012 7:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345