↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > The absolute Ultimate Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Mountain_man

Wales 
Mine would be a Masai red very early 110 with 300 tdi running gear, no electronics, with a galv chassis and bulhead and all other steel bit galved too. Uprated electrics, recaro seats, nice stereo, converted to a camper back, twin tanks, uprated disc brakes all round, rear air locker and ashcroft shafts, etc etc,,, basically a strong reliable simple overland truck to take around the world.

Just looked, there is one just like that taking shape in the shed Very Happy Very Happy
Post #124304 15th Feb 2012 11:46pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
ken wrote:
Oi RRUK youre not a Mod here so behave Whistle

I know that, but just because I've not had 29 Defenders in a row doesn't make me any less a fan of the Land Rover marque does it? Big Cry

I've loved them ALL since I was 4 years old and sat in my first one. I've had more Land Rovers than any other brand of car and I'm loving having a Defender after years of wanting one again.

I'll behave, as a Mod should. Whistle 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #124388 16th Feb 2012 10:45am
ken

United Kingdom 
Trust you not looked at DG on the D3 site Rolling with laughter
Post #124395 16th Feb 2012 11:15am
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Re: The absolute Ultimate Defender
RRUK wrote:
Firstly, this post was about total fantasy, if anything were possible, live a little Shocked

Secondly, I don't want the 'look' of a RR. I have one already, and Land Rover produce some fantastic technology across the range of cars they make, most of it could make a fantastic one off car.

The changes I've made to my Defender are stuff that lot's of others have done on this forum, nothing has been non-Defender stuff. A headlining, some interior side panels, a cubby box. That's all I've done. I'd hate to take a ride in yours if you think that's somehow too much to put in a Land Rover, and you're then missing the point about the basis of what they're about, bolting on almost anything you can think of. Mine was a basic 90 Van type, VERY basic, who wouldn't want to improve it?

I know exactly what I've spent on the Defender. I've spent about £700 so far on bits. Not that it's any of your business how I spend my money.

There I was thinking this forum was fun and light hearted. Shame.

Chill out - did you not see the smiley?

Firstly (if you read what I put) I said it seemed as though you wanted the look of a Defender in a RR, not the other way about.

Yes - lots of others have done similar mods - my point was referring to your initial comments on budget and the fact that you could have bought a better spec to start with for the money you are spending.

As for my initial point - I stand by it, your idea of an ultimate Defender is not a Defender in my eyes as it would lose too much of the Defender character.

And finally, as for;

Quote:
you're then missing the point about the basis of what they're about, bolting on almost anything you can think of.

Er, no - that isn't what Defenders are about at all. That is more a description of the local Halford's car park chav group. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #124404 16th Feb 2012 12:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jakeslouw

South Africa 1989 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Alpine White
bpman wrote:
T1G UP wrote:
galvy chassis 110 csw running tdv8 auto.

plus Big Foot upgrade, recaros, big tank, some decent ICE and polished aluminium body

I'm with you two on this.

The 110 CSW just CRIES out for a bigger engine.

I already have the galv chassis. Maybe the TDV6 or TDV8, 5-speed auto box, and a Dana axle conversion with lockers. Sorted.
Post #167826 12th Sep 2012 11:28am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
I've been trying to find the ultimate Defender for years, but there is no such thing !

Which is why I've ended up with four Rolling Eyes

TD5 90 trayback - Great for competition use, winch comps, trialling etc - useless for anything else

Puma 110 USW - Great people carrier, comfortable, quick, looks nice - not enough load space, too long (and shiney) for serious off road use

300 Tdi 90 Soft top - Great pose motor in the sun, nice weekend car - not as comfortable as 110, noisy on motorways, no load space

TD5 130 Hicap - Good allrounder people carrier / load shifter / tow motor - Tooooo long

Edit: Thinking about it, I think a Puma 130 Hicap would cover the job of my existing 130 and 110 ...
Post #167832 12th Sep 2012 12:06pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Just a defender that don't leak water in and fluids out!
Post #167837 12th Sep 2012 1:00pm
Peter Evans

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
a new xs 90 inc camel trophy spec and colour
Post #167842 12th Sep 2012 1:31pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
jakeslouw wrote:
I'm with you two on this. The 110 CSW just CRIES out for a bigger engine.
I already have the galv chassis. Maybe the TDV6 or TDV8, 5-speed auto box, and a Dana axle conversion with lockers. Sorted.

Hi Jakes,

took you long enough to get here Thumbs Up --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #167858 12th Sep 2012 3:42pm
Small Clanger

United Kingdom 
I keep looking at new Defenders but the more I do the more I realise that mine is precisely the Defender I want. A basic 90HT, L-R heavy duty wheels with Coopers, rear tow-step, side steps, some recovery swivels cut into the front bumper and a USB/bluetooth/CD player for the i-pod.
Great for work around the Dales, great for trips around the Highlands and great for towing bike trailer around.
I love it. Best working 4X4 vehicle I've had.

I had a new Discovery for the day whilst the 90 had it's 12k service, with a veiw to getting one next.
Hated it.
Post #167864 12th Sep 2012 5:20pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I'm sad enough that I started a word document for when I win big on the lottery....

new 110 CSW...

Strip it right down, get the panels sprayed again PROPERLY, not like they do at the factory. colour: either Keswick, silver or epsom green.

strip the chassis, weld on the HD bracings (or just get a marsland/Richards HD one), galvanised.

Rebuild, with wolf XD axle casings, Ashcrofts lockers and shafts/CV's/drive hubs.

BAS 3.2 Ford engine & HD gearbox

SD Camel cage (or P&P equivalent.... front external, rear internal)

Leather seats

Husky winch.

Those 5 spoke deeeep dish alloys, forget the name, think silverline do them. with some slightly oversize, but nothing silly BFG MT's (want to retain the nice drivablilty)

car PC, stereo yadda yadda...

Oh, and a tatty 90 for laning.... Whistle
Post #167882 12th Sep 2012 7:01pm
harveyg77

United Kingdom 
I guess the difference in opinion shows what a diverse vehicle the Defender is, attracting lots of different folk.

The cocky answer is that the ultimate Defender is the one you own right now, as of all the ones you could have purchased that was the one you chose Wink

A 110 USW XS was my ultimate, but it got wrecked by my dealer. So I now use a Vivaro crewcab/Kombi (need a commercial that doubles up as a family (and mates MTBing) hack. It's my choice and I'm not for one-minute going to try and convert people. But it seats 6, has a massive carpeted (floor, sides, doors and roof) boot and does +35mpg. I'm seriously thinking of going back to a Defender but cannot decide between a 110USW or a 130DCPU - whichever I get will be my ultimate as its mine Wink

Regardless of whether we drive a knackered farm hack or sparkly JE Eng special, we share a common passion.

Harvey
Post #167897 12th Sep 2012 7:57pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
I think my ultimate defender would have to be my 90 but with the addition of a pair of ashcroft torque biasing differentials, the removal of the need for the drop plate tow hitch and possibly some extreme tires but still in 750's. Oh and the ability to receive radio 4 without static would be nice. Add in a size 6 nymphomaniac who fancies big farmers and owns her own fabrication workshop and I could well be the happiest man alive. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #167940 12th Sep 2012 9:10pm
twopoint6khz

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
I'm well into my pretty-standard 110, although the remap makes a big difference to the driveability.

Recently though I've been hankering after a Td5 110 hi-cap, painted fire-engine red, with big MTs on, monster engine tune and big exhaust, winch, some black chequerplate, and probably a big roll hoop in the pickup bed. So basically a tonked-up Ford F150 Embarassed

In America I did actually see an F150 with truck exhausts mounted vertically in the bed behind the cab. Sounded pretty epic, even from about 1/4 mile away....
Post #167971 12th Sep 2012 9:59pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
lambert.the.farmer wrote:
I think my ultimate defender would have to be my 90 but with the addition of a pair of ashcroft torque biasing differentials, the removal of the need for the drop plate tow hitch and possibly some extreme tires but still in 750's. Oh and the ability to receive radio 4 without static would be nice. Add in a size 6 nymphomaniac who fancies big farmers and owns her own fabrication workshop and I could well be the happiest man alive.

Strike that.

I think I would prefer a 130 with 6 inches of portal and 900r20 wheels and tires and a 300tdi engine that could be fun. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #168005 13th Sep 2012 6:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>