↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > trailer wiring harness
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
There should be pretty much, dare I say it, a plug and play set up except for the charging element, that's where the charging relay that should come with the kit comes in. This stops the caravan draining the tow vehicles battery when the engine isn't running. There are ways round this but a permanent feed without the relay can be achieved but unplug the S plug when the engine isn't running to prevent a constant drain on your tow vehicle. With a leisure battery in your caravan, this is the one that will run your internal lights etc and to recharge either hook up to the mains or plug in to the car and run your car to recharge. My last caravan had an 85amp deep cell battery and would last 3 days with no hassle and would perhaps go longer but I was either on a mains hook up site or at the end of a weekend break and on my way home!

Good caravan shops should sell simple kits for the 12S setup, motor accessory shops, if you have them. You could allways try a generic car dealership as they might have kits for their cars or put you onto somebody that fits them.

Failing that, charge up a battery, fit it in the caravan locker, come over to the jolly Uk and get one sorted over here. If you are a bit canny you can charge a battery on the move in your motor, temporarily fix the battery safely in the back, put an accessory plug near to it and run wires from the battery to the plug, that will equalize the battery, i.e. it will charge when the engine is running.
Post #156413 18th Jul 2012 12:01pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 
Here's a better diagram. As ever, Google is your friend :

To be honest, wiring the plug is the easy bit. The supplies to it are more complicated though, including relays and connections to various different places on the vehicle.

Don't know the part no. off hand, but Land Rover make a complete kit for this that would be far easier to install - if you can get one in time, of course. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #156414 18th Jul 2012 12:01pm
lrmaniac

Portugal 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
I'm lost...

That S plug is to replace the one I have...But I don't see in that diagram any pin for ex. for the tail lights, or indicator lights Confused ? Regards
Joao

'10 Land Rover Defender 110 CC
'08 BMW F800GS
'64 SIIA Forward Control
'69 SIIA 109 ZA CKD
Post #156416 18th Jul 2012 12:14pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 
No, the 12S plug is in addition to the 12N. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #156427 18th Jul 2012 12:39pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Even with the twin sockets (or the newer 13 pin) the interior lights won't work when connected to the car. The perm feed from the car powers the fridge and charger for the leisure battery only when connected. With the car unplugged the leisure battery should power the lights in the caravan.

The 7 pin socket you have powers all the road lights etc bu not the fridge or charger. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #156523 18th Jul 2012 6:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SGH

United Kingdom 
mike.29 wrote:
Hi. JWL

I've got an OEM 13pin harness which I just fitted. I removed and replaced the 7pin one which was badly corroded at the socket. The 7 Pin one also had spare unused connectors which I thought would be for the reverse lights. Can't seem to find any information about them.

So when fitting a 13pin does this mean you can no longer connect any trailer that has a 7 pin plug ?

I am contemplating selling my motorhome and buying a caravan would I be better off getting the 13pin setup Question 993 Varioram - Guards Red
Defender 2.5 300TDI 110 HCP - Keswick Green
Defender 2.2 TDCI 130 HCP - Orkney Grey - GONE
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE LUX - Corris Grey/Black Pack - GONE
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE LUX - Montaciano Red/Black Pack - GONE
Post #156538 18th Jul 2012 7:29pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
SGH wrote:
mike.29 wrote:
Hi. JWL

I've got an OEM 13pin harness which I just fitted. I removed and replaced the 7pin one which was badly corroded at the socket. The 7 Pin one also had spare unused connectors which I thought would be for the reverse lights. Can't seem to find any information about them.

So when fitting a 13pin does this mean you can no longer connect any trailer that has a 7 pin plug ?

I am contemplating selling my motorhome and buying a caravan would I be better off getting the 13pin setup Question

No, you can use an adaptor to connect a 7 pin plug to a 13 pin socket. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #156540 18th Jul 2012 7:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SGH

United Kingdom 
JSG wrote:
SGH wrote:
mike.29 wrote:
Hi. JWL

I am contemplating selling my motorhome and buying a caravan would I be better off getting the 13pin setup Question

No, you can use an adaptor to connect a 7 pin plug to a 13 pin socket.

Thumbs Up

I'll get a 13pin kit then lets hope the LR kit is long enough to do my 130 Laughing 993 Varioram - Guards Red
Post #156543 18th Jul 2012 7:34pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 
I've just converted the electrics on mine from 7 pin to 13 to match our caravan. It was a sod of a job (although that might be TD5 specific), which you can read about HERE.

The kit fitted my 110 pretty much perfectly, so I'd imagine LR do a specific one for the 130. Dan at Duckworth Parts gave the best price I could find. Darren

Post #156596 18th Jul 2012 9:40pm
SGH

United Kingdom 
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
I've just converted the electrics on mine from 7 pin to 13 to match our caravan. It was a sod of a job (although that might be TD5 specific), which you can read about HERE.

The kit fitted my 110 pretty much perfectly, so I'd imagine LR do a specific one for the 130. Dan at Duckworth Parts gave the best price I could find.

There is no 130 specific 13 pin kit so it might be too short Big Cry 993 Varioram - Guards Red
Post #156705 19th Jul 2012 12:32pm
lrmaniac

Portugal 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
JSG wrote:
Even with the twin sockets (or the newer 13 pin) the interior lights won't work when connected to the car. The perm feed from the car powers the fridge and charger for the leisure battery only when connected. With the car unplugged the leisure battery should power the lights in the caravan.

The 7 pin socket you have powers all the road lights etc bu not the fridge or charger.

You mean I had to have a leisure battery in the caravan in order to have the fridge working while on the road ? Regards
Joao

'10 Land Rover Defender 110 CC
'08 BMW F800GS
'64 SIIA Forward Control
'69 SIIA 109 ZA CKD
Post #156736 19th Jul 2012 3:16pm
mobilecentre

United Kingdom 
Pin 9 orange wire should be permanent live - the fridge could be connected to this but it will discharge the vehicle battery which is not advised.
Post #156746 19th Jul 2012 3:36pm
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
If using the 13 pin socket then the fridge should be connected positive to pin 10 and earth to pin 11. Pin 10 should only be live with the ignition switched on.
Permanent live is pin 9 as stated previously, earth for this is pin 13
Earth for brake lights, indicators etc is pin 3.

The L/R kit is the same for the '07 on 90/110/130.
13 pin kit LR005919
12S kit LR005921
12N kit LR 005920
Post #157041 20th Jul 2012 7:10pm
Merlin

United Kingdom 
On the 12S plug it says that pin 4, the green wire, has a continuous power supply. But which fuse does it use? I think the fuse has gone but the manual doesn't say which one. Anyone know?

Merlin
Post #412375 30th Mar 2015 5:54pm
munch90

England 
depends where the power has been taken from

but should be in battery box under seat or possible behind rear speaker panel on drivers side

it wont be in any of the fuse boxes or should say shouldn't be
Post #412380 30th Mar 2015 6:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>