↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > Retrofit 11.4 Pivi Display
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
abyss

Australia 
It turns out I have a blown fuse NO.49 that's why the screen doesn't turn on when I revert it back to 10.8". It must have happened when I picked the connectors without disconnect the battery.

Anyway I decided not to go ahead with 11.4" screen now even it is all sorted. I didn't like how to upper and lower trim horizontal trim bars being squashed and expanded.

My car has the windsor vintage tan leather which makes it very obviously to see the tan leather squashed up and down. If I have black leather interior it wouldn't be a problem. Only way to make it perfect is to order new Tan leather trim pieces with the indent cutout that suits 11.4" screen.

I also don't like how the big screen hides and break up the Tan leather continuous horizontal. Also It would cost too much this project with new leather trims. Already cost me a fortune for the new 11.4" screen. so I'm gonna sell the screen and all brackets. Will post in For Sale section soon.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1037648 17th Jun 2024 2:56am
stevemfr

France 
Contact Simon @powerful-uk. He's making an adapter to mount the large screen to the small screen bracket with no other changes required.

RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s,
2 FL1s and a L663 on the way
Post #1037687 17th Jun 2024 3:56pm
awktm

Australia 
PM’d @abyss
Post #1037838 19th Jun 2024 5:27am
ThunderBob

United States 
Has anyone purchased one of the Chinese replacement screens from eBay? The price is tempting but I’m concerned if they can be used for a retrofit. If I purchase the brackets from Simon and wire it up properly will it work with the CCF coding available with the GAP G4. Thank you!

Click image to enlarge
Post #1037987 21st Jun 2024 3:59am
abyss

Australia 
Seen this for while. Plenty in AliExpress they are Chinese screen not Genuine LR Alpine.
Post #1037992 21st Jun 2024 6:45am
Yu77ri

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 90 Td5 Adventure Corris Grey
abyss wrote:
Thanks Clark.

I think the only potential issue was when I did the CCF change the car dash did say “Low battery and start the car” but I ignored it. Could be the ecu didn’t like the low battery.

Will you posted.

I have used Gap tool G4 on RR sport, and had same issue with the screen, been driving for a day, with blank screen, blaming myself for coding, and then in the morning it came back to life..
Post #1038049 21st Jun 2024 3:31pm
Yu77ri

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 90 Td5 Adventure Corris Grey
Clark4x4 wrote:
Hi,

well drop me a PM and I try to help you with connector, I got some spare pieces to built at least another set...

I found all pieces in ebay UK, from a damaged vehicle, in a very good conditions. I guest the key is be aware or setup an automatic search. Be aware that Jaguar use same display... i.e. all these references are valid:

T2H42943, T2H42943, MX6319C279AE, LR144528, T2R72241

I got under my radar this unit at good price (all plastic trims need to be buyed), but not sure about this page:
https://used.lr.parts/product/t2h42943-tou...2017-used/

or you could ask your LR dealer, but will be expensive Confused

And yes, with GAP IID tool is enough!!!

have tried this on different Land Rover models?
Post #1038051 21st Jun 2024 3:58pm
stevemfr

France 
abyss wrote:
Seen this for while. Plenty in AliExpress they are Chinese screen not Genuine LR Alpine.

Where do you have this info from?

Aside from the fact that I've heard opposite, I have a very hard time imagining an aftermarket screen that works with LR's software. It is not just a "simple" hardware replacement screen such as a new screen for a phone or iPad - and the market for this screen is infinitesimally smaller than a replacement phone screen making it much harder for anyone to justify the considerable investment in reverse engineering and production of such a unit. 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s,
2 FL1s and a L663 on the way
Post #1038632 28th Jun 2024 2:03pm
StromC

United States 
mmbanf wrote:
HI ,
It's very strange that the original screen doesn't work...
When you did the work, did you first disconnect the battery, before disconnecting the various connectors?
Have you checked the fuse 51 rear fuse box?
When you connect the gap, do the troubleshooting, what does it say?

Clark - were you ever able to get the 13.1" screen to work?
Post #1039585 10th Jul 2024 1:05am
Clark4x4

Spain 
Hi, not yet,

need to find time, I got all stuff ready, just trying to undeerstand how to moutn screen in current plastic bracket, I'm not sure yet... I hope could find time next weeks and test again...
Post #1039674 11th Jul 2024 6:49am
Dannymm

United Kingdom 
Thanks to all the great information in this thread, I've collected all the bits to change my display from the 10" to the 11.4 " version.

As I was collecting all the parts I also ended up buying a 13.1" screen from a 2024 RRS to give that a try.

I have the GAP version 4 tool to do the activation.

The 11.4" screen worked with no problem. I changed the ccf setting to the 11.4" and performed a reset on the car by the service menu in the G4 tool.

The 13.1" just wouldn't activate after changing the ccf and performing a car reset. There is a plastic bracket on the rear of the screen that needs to be removed. The smaller screen connector on my Defender is a right angle and is a tight fit on the 13.1 " display.

Some extra info

I modified the upper trim piece so it fitted over the rear of the screen correctly. I carefully pealed back the covering on the trim and removed a length of plastic in the area above the screen about 5 or 6mm deep and glued the covering back. Now it fits perfectly.

Because I didn't manage to activate the 13.1" display I didn't attempt to mount it. I did contact one of the companies that offer the 13.1" upgrades if I could buy one of their custom made brackets for the screen but they wouldn't sell it on its own.

Last edited by Dannymm on 21st Jul 2024 5:34pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1040395 19th Jul 2024 10:08pm
StromC

United States 
Danny,

Thanks for the info. I also got a salvaged 13.1" screen and will try to install. I am printing a small 3D bracket to help the fitup.

To try and get it to work, did you just change MultiCAN-641? Did you try anything else?

I am a little depressed to hear that you couldn't get the screen to activate. Not sure I want to tear the dash apart if it is going to be in vain.
Post #1040617 21st Jul 2024 5:20pm
Dannymm

United Kingdom 
I think the existing bracket fitted to the rear of the 13.1" will need to be removed, then a 3D printed bracket like you are making or modify the bracket from the 12.4" screen. Ive managed to find a Fakra extension cable to overcome the tight fit with the right angle Fakra connector on the 10" display. Once that arrives I will give it another try.

Now I know how to remove the trim pieces it can be done really quickly. The fitting off the 12.4" first bracket was a pain as two of the screws are really hard to access.

I only tried changing the 641 option. It worked fine with the 12.4 screen. I could have a dead 13.1" but hopefully not! Or it could be the 13.1" connector wiring is different, but I think is should be the same.
Post #1040620 21st Jul 2024 5:33pm
StromC

United States 
Clark had the wiring diagrams for both above in the chat. Agree it looks like it should work. The only difference seems to be the connections for the haptic feedback.

I will go ahead and fit mine and see if I have better luck. Will let you know.
Post #1040625 21st Jul 2024 5:51pm
deekay

United States 
double-post

Last edited by deekay on 24th Jul 2024 11:30pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1040928 24th Jul 2024 11:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 9 <123456789>