↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2 Stroke oil in diesel.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Stornaway90 wrote:
Transits seem to bomb about no bother without the need for OIL OF OLAY, just use a decent grade diesel like BP Ultimate for improved performance and less noise.
What will it be next, a Full FACIAL, BOTOX, THE DUKAN DIET and a SHAMPOO of COCONUT OIL and SEAWEED!

Laughing Rolling with laughter Laughing Rolling with laughter Laughing

Decent diesel is surprisingly hard to find around here (quite far south of Munich) - most of it seems to have "up to 10% biodiesel. Needless to say, the result isn't that good Sad Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #100816 18th Nov 2011 10:05pm
Steve B

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
dgardel wrote:
When was a Diesel Engine developer, I did a lot of reasearch on 2 stroke oil in diesel fuel.

The most important points that you must understand is:

It burns more completely than diesel =
1. reduces engine smoke to virtually nothing
2. cleans the combustion chamber
3. it lubricate the injectors (especially now with LOW Sloppier Diesel),
4. cleans egr valves see point 1.
5. engine is much quieter when cold (see point one)
6. much better throttle response .

just 300-400 mL of 2 stroke oil in a full tank really does give you wings.

Thanks Dgardel,

Very informative and I agree with your results. The main reasons I add 2so is for the injectors as you suggested and also the fuel pump. Modern diesel is I believe does not have great lubricious. Ask people who have run diesels on Jp5 or 8 and they don't last too long. I will continue to add 2so. 
Post #100818 18th Nov 2011 10:17pm
wslr

United Kingdom 
So, trying to reach for a reasonable conclusion, would you say the 2 stoke changes the fuelling enough to have a positive effect?
Post #100884 19th Nov 2011 10:16am
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
i think i'll try it in the wifes TD5 in a bit
Post #100889 19th Nov 2011 10:31am
wslr

United Kingdom 
ZeDefender wrote:
Decent diesel is surprisingly hard to find around here (quite far south of Munich) - most of it seems to have "up to 10% biodiesel. Needless to say, the result isn't that good Sad

I notice that Shell are marketing this Saver fuel as being cheaper and better ( Rolling Eyes ) so I suspect the percentages are moving up over here as well. I try to get the V-Power type diesel when I can, although not having a clue as to what is different about the make-up makes me have doubts.
Post #100893 19th Nov 2011 10:38am
T1G UP

dgardel wrote:
When was a Diesel Engine developer, I did a lot of reasearch on 2 stroke oil in diesel fuel.

The most important points that you must understand is:

It burns more completely than diesel =
1. reduces engine smoke to virtually nothing
2. cleans the combustion chamber
3. it lubricate the injectors (especially now with LOW Sloppier Diesel),
4. cleans egr valves see point 1.
5. engine is much quieter when cold (see point one)
6. much better throttle response .

just 300-400 mL of 2 stroke oil in a full tank really does give you wings.

So it's approx 100 ml per 20L of fuel?

As she's got a disco it'll take 85 L or £130 Big Cry so i won't be topping that for her today
Post #100952 19th Nov 2011 2:05pm
TheTechnobear

Spain 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
This discussion has made me relook at 'premium' diesels eg. BP ultimate, Repsol e + 10.
I usually use, normal (not saver) fuel, as I've (incorrectly) thought the premiums were aimed at performance, not so relevant for a 110 Smile

But now revisiting this, I notice these diesels claim much the same benefits as this thread claims for 2SO eg. cleaning, economy, lubrication.
A quick search on the inet, sees many people saying these fuels do reduce smoke, rattle etc etc...

are people here using premium diesels? and/or 2SO?

(I think it's relevant to this thread, but don't wanna hijack)
Post #100954 19th Nov 2011 2:32pm
ZeDefender

TheTechnobear wrote:
This discussion has made me relook at 'premium' diesels eg. BP ultimate, Repsol e + 10.
I usually use, normal (not saver) fuel, as I've (incorrectly) thought the premiums were aimed at performance, not so relevant for a 110 Smile

But now revisiting this, I notice these diesels claim much the same benefits as this thread claims for 2SO eg. cleaning, economy, lubrication.
A quick search on the inet, sees many people saying these fuels do reduce smoke, rattle etc etc...

are people here using premium diesels? and/or 2SO?

(I think it's relevant to this thread, but don't wanna hijack)

I've resisted the temptation (or rather bankruptcy) until now to try V-Power diesel, but next tank I will (and without 2-stroke).
We shall see... Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #100956 19th Nov 2011 2:43pm
wslr

United Kingdom 
TheTechnobear wrote:
are people here using premium diesels?

I try to when I can find it available. After previously running a 100 ltr tank in a 4.6 V8 Range Rover, a £100+ diesel fill is not a problem. Laughing
Post #100973 19th Nov 2011 4:21pm
T1G UP

well i've done a 2SO in the td5...maybe quiter...but it takes so long to warm up.
Post #101022 19th Nov 2011 7:28pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Anyone tried the Halfords 2 stroke oil. It is mineral based, FB spec but made for garden machinery not motorbikes. Just wondered if it would be suitable to put in with the diesel.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...55223#dtab
They also do their own motor bike oil 2 stroke
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...yId_165507
They have no Actevo at the moment. Just looking for a temporary substitute. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #101105 20th Nov 2011 1:47am
T1G UP

spudfan wrote:
Anyone tried the Halfords 2 stroke oil. It is mineral based, FB spec but made for garden machinery not motorbikes. Just wondered if it would be suitable to put in with the diesel.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...55223#dtab
They also do their own motor bike oil 2 stroke
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...yId_165507
They have no Actevo at the moment. Just looking for a temporary substitute.

i've put mineral based in the TD5 yesterday. TBH if we ae looking for lubrication i can't see any issues with using mineral oils
Post #101122 20th Nov 2011 10:13am
ZeDefender

Does 2 stroke mineral have sulphur in it? Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #101132 20th Nov 2011 10:48am
Lorryman100

As there are other posts on this subject here:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic1708.html

And being a lazy sod here are some personal opinions on 2SO use. Thumbs Up

Lorryman100 wrote:
You should only use mineral oil, as semi and synthetic don't burn up completely leaving ash deposits in the cat. I use Motul 100 MOTO MIX 2T Lubricant for 2 Stroke engines from site sponsor Opie oils. It is a mineral oil with rating JASO FB. JASO FC is a low ash oil which I have in the garage for my 2 stroke outboard engines, but wont risk using it in my landy as it is semi-synthetic. Basically any mineral 2 stroke oil with JASCO FB rating will do. Thumbs Up

Lorryman100 wrote:
chiefstoker wrote:

Only thing is, I'm still baffled as to whether to use El Cheapo 2T mineral based oil (FB), or semi-synth. (FC)

The thread on 2 stroke use has been removed from the freel2.com site so that Martin can tidy it up. But when it was available the man in the know recommends using FB or FC preferably the cheapest available. I use FB because it is the cheapest and its wholly mineral oil. Problems start to arise when using synthetic oils due to the cat being clogged up by ash not being burnt up completely in the combustion chamber. If you don't have a cat then I would say to use what you want as you don't have anything to clogg up. As to how much too put in the tank? Some say 300ml, others say 200ml. I go for 50 litres of diesel gets 200ml-300ml or if the container is nearly empty, whatever is left in it goes in the tank. Mineral 2 stroke is oil, as is diesel fuel so the two mix together nicely and if you think you've put too much in, put less in next time.

Lorryman100 wrote:
It seems we have forgotten the reason for using 2Stroke oil in the first place, which is to lubricate the injector pump and injectors due to the reduction in sulphur (Low sulphur diesel) which did the lubrication in the first place. So as to what oil to put in the tank surely it should be the cheapest lowest spec JASO-FB which is basically being added to prolong the life of the fuel system by adding some lubrication. Semi and fully synthetic oils contain castor oil and other chemicals to help keep the spark plugs and exhaust vents carbon free on petrol engines, to help lubrication of high revving petrol engines, none of which pertains to a diesel engine. I now put a tank of Shell v power/ BP Ultimate every 4 tank fulls as this contains cleaning agents pertaining to a diesel engine, and use JASO-FB in the other 3 tank fulls. Again all of this is my sole opinion and wouldn't wish to impose my views on what you should use in your Landy, and if you go to Opie oils website you get good deals on FB and FC 2T oils as anyone registered on this forum gets the members discount. If I remember correctly the last order of 4L Motul 100 JASO FB cost £23 delivered to my home Thumbs Up I could probably get a cheaper oil elsewhere but I'm a lazy sod and delivered to the door suits me.

Brian.
Post #101143 20th Nov 2011 12:11pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lorryman100

Another point to consider when trying to decided between JASO FB or FC is that JASO FC grade of 2 stroke is recommended on the Gaylander site because of its low ash content, mainly because Gaylanders have DPFs, something the Puma 2.4 doesn't have.
If you have one of the new 2.2 Pumas with the DPF then I would use JASO FC in that.

Brian.
Post #101163 20th Nov 2011 3:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>