↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2 Stroke oil in diesel.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
personally i think your ll mad!

there are hundreds of thousands of 2.4L transit and i bet they don't moisturise like you lot!

Is there any PROOF this does anything at all?
Post #100581 17th Nov 2011 8:00pm
spudfan

Ireland 
That's what we are all trying to determine! Seems no one can say 100% either way. That is a good point about the Transits running around on straight diesel. Very few I know of get the TLC,service wise we expound on this site. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #100582 17th Nov 2011 8:04pm
Lorryman100

T1G UP wrote:

Is there any PROOF this does anything at all?

Nope, not seen any scientific studies to support or dismiss the use of 2SO mixed in with the fuel. But it could make sense? From way back when I served my time as a Diesel fitter only the diesel was needed to lubricate the high pressure fuel system as it contained sulphur which acted as a lubricant. With the introduction of low sulphur fuels this natural lubricant was removed from the fuel and may, or may not have been replaced with additives, who knows? All I do know is that there is less clatter from my Pumas engine when using 2SO than not adding any at all. Funnily enough it goes as quiet when it gets its 6 monthly dose of Forte diesel treatment as well, though I would not want to use that at every tank fill. I think it is all down to the individuals rational as to whether or not it makes the engine run quieter, then again mine might be as quiet without 2SO, as I have been using 2SO FB from new?

Brian.
Post #100585 17th Nov 2011 8:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wslr

United Kingdom 
I put a map on my 110 last night from Gary and one of the noticeable things was that the engine gets quiet at certain revs. Is the engine noise as a result of poor fuelling in order to reduce emissions?
Post #100620 17th Nov 2011 10:07pm
T1G UP

wslr wrote:
I put a map on my 110 last night from Gary and one of the noticeable things was that the engine gets quiet at certain revs. Is the engine noise as a result of poor fuelling in order to reduce emissions?

surely a decent power map would get rid of lean running etc

i don't know, if it makes an audible difference and it makes you feel better then why not? i'm guessing alot of your pumas been de catted?
Post #100622 17th Nov 2011 10:13pm
wslr

United Kingdom 
I've been holding off mapping my 110, mainly to just get the hang of how it drives. The map so far (24hrs Laughing ) has ironed out pretty much all of the 'issues' that I didn't like. I've only done a map so far, no other hardware yet.

1. Engine rattle noise has dropped, but not all the time.
2. Power/Torque (obviously).
3. The clutch snatch I was getting at random times/gears has reduced.

I suspect some of it is due to my pre-adopted driving style combined with better fuelling.

I realise the overall discussion is about adding 2 stroke oil, but perhaps there is more to this than just adding oil at every fill?

I also noticed the quietening down when adding fuel conditioner (like the comment made by Lorryman RE the Forte), which in my case tends to be the Wynns Diesel Power3.

I had to collect a 07MY 90 from south Dartmoor on Wednesday for service/MOT which had all the Alive stuff done back in Jan this year, but this was even quieter than my 110 is now after the map.
Post #100651 17th Nov 2011 11:41pm
robharvey

South Africa 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
[quote="spudfan"]
robharvey wrote:
Interesting to hear of this bad reaction linked to adding 2stroke. Would'nt it be lovely to get a definitive answer either way. Any further details "rob" as to the time frame you used the 2stroke and the EGR going bad?Any info that helps with this debate is always welcome.

On the same tankful, probably after a couple of hundred km's. EGR was perfectly fine, then did the screaming-like-a-banshee thing.
Post #100665 18th Nov 2011 5:14am
pannawonica

Australia 
I recently tried the 2 stroke . I have observed that my 110 Puma has become more refined and less truck like, quieter. Generally I do long runs but recently SWMBO has had to do local street runs. Normally this would result in a choked up engine and some clatter, however this has not been the case. I also have an Alive remap without any other mods, I am really well pleased with it. We also have now the low sulpher and I am aware of reports of premature injector pump failure in other vehicles. Whilst Transits have the same engine, they are how can I say, operated differently ! I have heard that they have been designed to be worked, and not just used. I stand by to be advised. Very Happy Whistle
Post #100667 18th Nov 2011 8:01am
T1G UP

pannawonica wrote:
I recently tried the 2 stroke . I have observed that my 110 Puma has become more refined and less truck like, quieter. Generally I do long runs but recently SWMBO has had to do local street runs. Normally this would result in a choked up engine and some clatter, however this has not been the case. I also have an Alive remap without any other mods, I am really well pleased with it. We also have now the low sulpher and I am aware of reports of premature injector pump failure in other vehicles. Whilst Transits have the same engine, they are how can I say, operated differently ! I have heard that they have been designed to be worked, and not just used. I stand by to be advised. Very Happy Whistle

Is it not the case that the engines are still running in? I don't care what the manufacturers say metal to metal surfaces need to bed in.

Anyone got big miles on there tdci? whats the noise like?

I've ran a few performance cars in the past. When you rebuild an engine it a th case that the engine was run on traditional mineral oils during the run in period, which is always hi revs, low load, then shamed to semi / fully synthetic other wise the bores wouldn't bed in and just glaze.
Post #100682 18th Nov 2011 10:07am
dgardel

Italy 
When was a Diesel Engine developer, I did a lot of reasearch on 2 stroke oil in diesel fuel.

The most important points that you must understand is:

It burns more completely than diesel =
1. reduces engine smoke to virtually nothing
2. cleans the combustion chamber
3. it lubricate the injectors (especially now with LOW Sloppier Diesel),
4. cleans egr valves see point 1.
5. engine is much quieter when cold (see point one)
6. much better throttle response .

just 300-400 mL of 2 stroke oil in a full tank really does give you wings. Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #100728 18th Nov 2011 3:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
spudfan

Ireland 
T1G UP wrote:
pannawonica wrote:

Is it not the case that the engines are still running in? I don't care what the manufacturers say metal to metal surfaces need to bed in.

Anyone got big miles on there tdci? whats the noise like?

I've ran a few performance cars in the past. When you rebuild an engine it a th case that the engine was run on traditional mineral oils during the run in period, which is always hi revs, low load, then shamed to semi / fully synthetic other wise the bores wouldn't bed in and just glaze.

I also heard that engines shoud be run in on mineral oil .i.e. the first oil in the engine should be mineral oil. Thereafter the synthetic variety can be used. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #100731 18th Nov 2011 3:19pm
TheTechnobear

Spain 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
So general thought of the 'believers'
- FB, or pref FC , 1:200 synthetic ...
More frequent oil changes, though I plan to do every 10k km anyway.

A few q's:
Are all brands equal, or some preferred ?
Do you all use 'normal' diesel, or premium ?
Does this help general running, or just if you do a lot of road/motorway mileage ?

I fancy giving it a try, perhaps try to do a blind test Smile
Post #100735 18th Nov 2011 3:55pm
spudfan

Ireland 
I was using FC spec. Castrol Actevo but others are just using FB spec without adverse results so it seems it does not matter.
The 10,000 Km oil change seems about right as I am getting ready for one myself.
Don't think the brand matters so long as the spec. is right whether you choose FB or FC.
Over here it is just the one type of diesel but from what I have read on the site people are getting wary of the cheaper supermarket brands.
Some using it do short journeys and some long journeys but there are people on the Australian forum-some are members here- doing long desert trips using it too.
It will probably take more than one thankfull for you to make up your mind.
The only post I came across stating that there was a bad result to using it was the "robharvey" post.
If I had tried it and got robharveys results I would be against it too.Seems pretty damning that the EGR packed it up on first use of 2stroke but I or others have not had this problem.
You will not know till you try. If you do please post your observations here for us to read. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #100743 18th Nov 2011 5:03pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
I used Castrol Actevo on one tank a month ago and I thought it made a difference. Then I stopped using it (to make sure I wasn't mad) and now I have just tried it again... My conclusion? It makes a difference - less knocking and smoother running.
Don't know about consumption etc. but that isn't as important as smooth starting and running in the cold.
Just hope I don't Censored up the engine Shocked Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #100757 18th Nov 2011 6:25pm
Stornaway90

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Zermatt Silver
Transits seem to bomb about no bother without the need for OIL OF OLAY, just use a decent grade diesel like BP Ultimate for improved performance and less noise.
What will it be next, a Full FACIAL, BOTOX, THE DUKAN DIET and a SHAMPOO of COCONUT OIL and SEAWEED!

Laughing Rolling with laughter Laughing Rolling with laughter Laughing
Post #100803 18th Nov 2011 9:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>