↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Power loss in hot weather?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
wslr

United Kingdom 
But if there is something in the original software causing this... Confused
Post #151370 20th Jun 2012 3:38pm
tatra805

Slovakia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
FYI

today MAF air temp on scangauge: 42°C normal traffic, dropped to 38°C on highway

no tune, mantec RAI, removed mid box exhaust, license plate on grille . RTT on top, half loaded and pushing limiter for about 40kms of hilly highway with aircon on.

CHT reached 95°C in traffic and 87 on highway

nothing, except for a consumption of 15.4 l/100km... 18 mpg

I'll throw up a (another) stone...

FUEL TEMPERATURE SENSOR
The fuel temperature sensor is located in the high pressure fuel pump.
The sensor is an NTC sensor which is connected to the ECM by two wires. The ECM fuel temperature sensor circuit consists of an internal voltage divider circuit which incorporates an NTC thermistor. As the fuel temperature rises the resistance through the sensor decreases. The output from the sensor is the change in voltage as the thermistor allows more current to pass to earth relative to the temperature of the fuel.
The ECM monitors the fuel temperature constantly. If the fuel temperature exceeds 85°Celsius (185°F), the ECM invokes an engine 'derate' strategy. This reduces the amount of fuel delivered to the injectors in order to allow the fuel to cool. When this occurs, the driver may notice a loss of performance.
Further fuel cooling is available by a bi-metallic valve diverting fuel through the fuel cooler when the fuel reaches a predetermined temperature. In hot climate markets, an electrically operated cooling fan is positioned in the air intake ducting to the fuel cooler. This is controlled by a thermostatic switch, which switches the fan on and off when the fuel reaches a predetermined temperature.
The wires to the fuel sensor are monitored by the ECM for short and open circuit. The ECM also monitors the 5V supply. If a failure occurs a fault is recorded in the ECM memory and the ECM uses a default fuel pressure value.
If the ECM registers an 'out of range' deviation between the pressure signal from the sensor and the pre-programmed 'set point' a fault is stored in the ECM memory. Depending on the extent of the deviation, the ECM will reduce the injection quantity, stop the engine immediately or prevent further engine starting.

Do you have a fuel cooler protector installed?
Do you have a full surface non perforated skidplate? (which would further reduce airflow)
Post #151372 20th Jun 2012 3:41pm
o4dn

France 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
tatra805 wrote:
FYI

today MAF air temp on scangauge: 42°C normal traffic, dropped to 38°C on highway

no tune, mantec RAI, removed mid box exhaust, license plate on grille . RTT on top, half loaded and pushing limiter for about 40kms of hilly highway with aircon on.

Out of curiosity, how do you get CHT in Celcius? The x-gauge formula I use gives the value in Fahrenheit whereas the rest of the temperatures gauges (water temp, MAF) are all Celcius (and being on the continent, I am a lot more used to Celcius than Fahrenheit)

tatra805 wrote:
nothing, except for a consumption of 15.4 l/100km... 18 mpg

That's a pretty bad mpg methink...
Post #151376 20th Jun 2012 4:02pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Running the remap made me go slightly faster but it made me worry more about "pushing the limits" so I went back to stock.

"Only" 24 degrees today and I was back to full(ish) speed - 145 km/h Thumbs Up

Yes - full surface skidplate (but I had the same last year without problem).
No obvious fault codes (not relating to MAF or fuel temp anyway). Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #151387 20th Jun 2012 4:55pm
Regard

South Africa 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
[quote="tatra805"]today MAF air temp on scangauge: 42°C normal traffic, dropped to 38°C on highway [/qoute]

Is this MAF temp(which will basicly mean outside temp) or MAP temp(which will be post intercooler temp)?

tatra805 wrote:
In hot climate markets, an electrically operated cooling fan is positioned in the air intake ducting to the fuel cooler. This is controlled by a thermostatic switch, which switches the fan on and off when the fuel reaches a predetermined temperature.

Where exactly is this fan located???
Post #151450 21st Jun 2012 8:05am
tatra805

Slovakia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Regard,

this is MAF temp, dont have a MAP temp sensor code for the scangauge only a pressure code

The text is from the workshop manual, but i could not find this fan on the illustrations.

Question
Post #151458 21st Jun 2012 9:14am
o4dn

France 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
ofourdan wrote:
tatra805 wrote:

[...]

Out of curiosity, how do you get CHT in Celcius? The x-gauge formula I use gives the value in Fahrenheit whereas the rest of the temperatures gauges (water temp, MAF) are all Celcius (and being on the continent, I am a lot more used to Celcius than Fahrenheit)

Replying my own question, I posted how to get CHT in Celcius using a ScanGauge here:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/post151519.html#151519

Might be useful here as well...
Post #151526 23rd Jun 2012 10:40am
dgardel

Italy 
Mine, during the hottest days started to have intermittence loss of power..................

every day a little worse .....

...........fuel filter clogged!!!!

New filter (the old one was full of black mud Shocked ), tank cleaned, problem gone!!!!!!!!! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #156375 18th Jul 2012 9:46am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ZeDefender

dgardel wrote:

New filter (the old one was full of black mud Shocked ), tank cleaned, problem gone!!!!!!!!! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Shocked That is something to check then Thumbs Up
You cleaned the tank? How much work is that? Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #156424 18th Jul 2012 12:28pm
Morea

Post #158105 26th Jul 2012 5:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dgardel

Italy 
wslr wrote:
But if there is something in the original software causing this... Confused

Yes, it is related to certain SW version, expecially on the cars upgraded P089 (for solve the cool weatber starting issue). I'm shure at 99% Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #158135 26th Jul 2012 8:18pm
dgardel

Italy 
ZeDefender wrote:
dgardel wrote:

New filter (the old one was full of black mud Shocked ), tank cleaned, problem gone!!!!!!!!! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Shocked That is something to check then Thumbs Up
You cleaned the tank? How much work is that?

When I installed the webasto, thanks God, I made

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Photos taken from internt[/img] Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #158139 26th Jul 2012 8:23pm
ZeDefender

Mine was doing it again today (max 130 km/h) and it's only 28 degrees outside Sad

So are there different software versions on different Defenders, selected by LR for the probable climate? Seems bizarre Rolling Eyes

My LR techie told me recently that my software version is bang up to date. Would this be the newest "cold climate" software causing my power loss?

Matt

p.s. nice system Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #158141 26th Jul 2012 8:34pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
So,

Now the things fit to me. At the beginning Bteween 2007-2010 no problem appeared, but after the software modification at the beginning of 2010 the problem pop-up

As we said here they are filling a hole making another one Evil or Very Mad Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #158183 26th Jul 2012 10:18pm
wslr

United Kingdom 
ZeDefender wrote:
My LR techie told me recently that my software version is bang up to date.

Was the source of this software JLR (via IDS/SDD) or from another source (e.g. Autologic)?
Post #158247 27th Jul 2012 9:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>