↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Non parking wipers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Non parking wipers
My wipers are not parking when wiper are used at speed one or two, but they do park when washers and intermittent is used. So I think this would indicate the park switch is ok, and that it may be the wiper stalk switch?

Any thoughts or help?

Andy
Post #144235 9th May 2012 8:56pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Had the same on the TD5, it was the park switch. Easy job on a TD5 but would not like to try it on the Puma 110.

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #144244 9th May 2012 9:07pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Is it still easy with air con?????

Why do the wipers park ok when washers, or intermittent Question

Andy
Post #144246 9th May 2012 9:10pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Fairly easy on Puma too; I posted a "how to" some time ago on this.

It is most likely to be the park switch - it usually is.

Blackwolf wrote:
I finally got around to sorting out my wipers today!

Firstly I can now confirm from personal experience that it is possible to remove the motor completely without taking the dash out, but it is a bit fiddly putting it back in again. With hindsight as it is not at all difficult to take the dash out (and only takes about 1/2 hour) it might be easier to do this. It is probably not possible to change the wheelboxes without removing the dash, but you don't have to disturb them to get the motor out. I chose to do it without removing the complete dash because I didn't want the hassle of removing the steering wheel and column switchgear, which has to come off to remove the complete dash.

In case anyone is interested, here's what I did (note this is a RH drive vehicle):-

1 ) Remove both wiper arms from their spindles (a small puller may be needed if they've been undisturbed for a long time)
2 ) Remove the centre panel from the dash (radio out, undo two screws, pop the four clips and pull the panel forwards, disconnect all switches and the clock, lay panel aside). If you want to avoid having to recode the radio, plug it in again and lay it on top of the dash (it will remember the code long enough to allow this).
3 ) Pop the LH tweeter out and disconnect the connector. Put tweeter aside.
4 ) Remove all the screws holding the dash panel to the bulkhead (on both sides). This includes removing the grab handle (you don't need to remove the thing that isn't a glove box though because those screws only go into the plastic dash) and the trim panel under the instrument panel, the instrument panel itself. If anyone is especially interested I can give more details about which screws to take out. The whole dash is now free and can move.
5 ) Pull the LHS of the dash forwards until you can see the wiper motor.
6 ) Remove the demister pipe to the LH side window outlet (one of those little plastic pop-in fixings to take out)
7 ) Remove the LH windscreen demister outlent complete with pipe (another of these plastic things).
8 ) Unplug the connector on the wiper motor.
9 ) Unscrew the nut securing the wiper rack conduit to the wiper motor.
10) Remove the two screws holding the wiper motor to the bulkhead, and remove the motor. The flexible rack will pull out of the conduit as the motor is extracted.

The motor can then be dismantled, cleaned of old grease (in mine the old grease had the consistency of soap), reassembled and relubricated, and a new park switch fitted (note if it is only the park switch needed you don't need to take the motor out - you can get to the switch at step 5 above).

Before I reassembled I lubricated the spindles until they could spin freely between finger and thumb, and as I inserted the flexible rack back into the conduit tube I applied generous amounts of Castrol LM since there was very little grease on the rack or wheelboxes.

As you reinsert the rack, it should pick up the spindles (you'll see them start to rotate), but if it baulks just have an assistant twiddle them from outside.

Reassembly is then the reversal of the removal procedure, but be advised that getting the two screws that hold the motor to the bulkhead in place is a bit fiddly since you have to hold the motor, the rubber pad that fits behind it, the stirrup that clamps it, the screw, and the screwdriver all at once in a confined space!

The whole job took about 1 1/2 hours, and the wipers are now much quieter and smoother than ever before. They no longer give the impression that they are going to fall off or conk out at any moment!
Post #144328 10th May 2012 11:55am
Paul_1978

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
I posted a how to for the td5.
Should be the same with air con.

Top of dash off.
Remove the trim around the wiper motor and your in.
Post #144332 10th May 2012 12:27pm
spudfan

Ireland 
My wipers on the Puma were not parking correctly. So as she was due a 48,000 mile service I e-mailed the garage and told them them that the parkswitch had gone. They ordered one in and changed it during the service.The mechanic said there is no seperate parkswitch listed for the Puma but it is the same as the td5. Hardest thing is stripping the dash which is what put me off doing it. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #144391 10th May 2012 6:52pm
Legion

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Paul_1978
Any chance of a link to your 'how to' for the TD5 Smile
Or was that it in your post?? John
Post #144551 11th May 2012 7:39pm
Maxxed_Ross

Scotland 2001 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Cobar Blue
Mine don't park at all after using any of the settings... the only way I seem to be able to park them in the right place is to use the full on setting then let go just before they reach the bottom of the screen. If you use the intermittent it just parks where ever it fancies no matter whn you let go of the stalk.

Also the intermittent just keep s the wipers on constantly... same issue or would that be the relay?
Post #148835 6th Jun 2012 5:01am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Most probably the park switch again.
Post #148879 6th Jun 2012 12:54pm
spudfan

Ireland 
99.9% certain it is the switch, similar story to mine. Replacement switch sorted it. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #148912 6th Jun 2012 5:46pm
Maxxed_Ross

Scotland 2001 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Cobar Blue
thanks lads, I'll get one ordered then!
Post #148920 6th Jun 2012 6:34pm
quentin

Australia 2004 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
I had my td5 steering wheel off and column shroud off to mount an aux light switch and now my wipers dont park except on intermittent. The above posts indicate this will be a faulty park switch on the wiper motor.

If so would this be a huge co-incidence, is it possible Ive disturbed the wiper stork ,
anyone know if a faulty wiper stork / or lose wiring in the column shroud will cause the same fault.

TIA
Post #158785 30th Jul 2012 2:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1