↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A day in the life of Miffy the 110...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 45 of 60 <123 ... 444546 ... 585960>
Print this entire topic · 
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Yeah was watching the same. Recently swapped an LT230 into my 2003 110 and as I was inspecting the replacement unit I found some coppery flakes. Oh well, it all sounded good so I just swapped it out and it has been fine. I checked for play with both old and 'new' on the bench and they seem identical so maybe both have the washers missing..

If one day I open it up and find it to be worn out I will find a replacement.
Post #1006437 4th Sep 2023 10:59am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
excossack wrote:
Thrust washers a wee bit important.... Or none in the case of Mikes video.
Soon it will be front and centre for me.

Ha... How is the rear treating you?
Post #1006446 4th Sep 2023 11:43am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
TexasRover wrote:
Yeah was watching the same. Recently swapped an LT230 into my 2003 110 and as I was inspecting the replacement unit I found some coppery flakes. Oh well, it all sounded good so I just swapped it out and it has been fine. I checked for play with both old and 'new' on the bench and they seem identical so maybe both have the washers missing..

If one day I open it up and find it to be worn out I will find a replacement.

My thoughts exactly. One day if the intermediate shaft needs sorting out etc... Rolling Eyes Haven't rebuilt an LT230 yet...
Post #1006447 4th Sep 2023 11:44am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
geobloke wrote:
excossack wrote:
Thrust washers a wee bit important.... Or none in the case of Mikes video.
Soon it will be front and centre for me.

Ha... How is the rear treating you?

Rear(Salisbury) I think is OK, maybe some play in the shafts. To be looked at at a later date 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #1006449 4th Sep 2023 11:48am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Yeah those rear drive flanges do wear relatively quickly, but I like having them as the weakest point in the system. Much easier to change than a diff or half shaft.
Post #1006452 4th Sep 2023 11:54am
excossack

Certainly easier to swap the drive flanges. I have a feeling some of the play is diff end/half shafts. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Post #1006454 4th Sep 2023 12:08pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Quite possible. The Salisbury is renowned for play... Rolling Eyes
Post #1006458 4th Sep 2023 12:36pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
When I rebuilt my Disco2 LT230 at 220k miles there was absolutely no trace whatsoever of the thrust washers in the centre diff, you'd never know that there had ever been any fitted!
Post #1006464 4th Sep 2023 1:27pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
And that there is what worries me Blackwolf... Rolling Eyes
Post #1006468 4th Sep 2023 2:00pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
And whilst the sun is shining you'd better make hay...

From the above to...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The only problem is that the grinder has died (new in May) and I still have the a-frame to do... Balls... Mind you the new ball joint has not arrived yet so hopefully get a replacement as it is under a year old.
Post #1006551 5th Sep 2023 2:07pm
excossack

Good to see the dog escaped the over spray Smile 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Post #1006552 5th Sep 2023 2:08pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Ha Pi does love to sunbath. His sister was chillin' out in the kitchen.
Post #1006553 5th Sep 2023 2:15pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Galvanic corrosion
Whilst servicing Miffy the other weekend I noticed that the GORE fuel filter housing was suffering from awful corrosion around the four ports Shocked You can imagine my immediate reaction Banging Head

So I dropped the good people at GORE a line and asked them how to prevent the corrosion progressing any further and found out that the day afterwards they were closing up shop for good Shocked As a last act before closing GORE posted off their very last fuel filter housing to me. Which you have to agree speaks volumes to their mentality/honour/ethics/etc/etc... It would have been extremely easy for GORE to sign off and leave me hanging, but they did not and I am extremely grateful to them. They did say they had never had one of these filter housings corrode like this before.

So, galvanic corrosion... Some of you will know much much more than I do about it especially those that spend time in the marine environment where equipment is almost certainly spending extended amounts of time in the highly conductive sea. There in-lies part of the reason for galvanic corrosion, the immersion of metals in a conductive solution. If metals are left in an arid environment (ie no conductive fluid) then most metals will survive in the environment for a very long time. But... add water or worse water with salts in it and electrical connections are made, ions flow and one type of metal will corrode.

"Ganlvanic corrosion is an electrochemical process by which one metal will corrode in preference to another it is in contact with by an electrolyte"

In the case of the fuel filter housing the metals are brass (ports), copper (washers) and aluminium (GORE housing). Add (I suspect) a good dose of council approved road salt in Wales' best H2O and you have a ready supply of electrolyte.

Galvanic corrosion ensues. Although I would have expected that the anodising surface would prevent it, but obviously not. Incidentally, this is the same reason the standard fuel filter housing corrodes. It is interesting that the corrosion occurred beyond the sealing washers, maybe they are responsible for removing the anodising and starting the corrosion.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The reason the housing has corroded rather than the copper or brass is that it is more canonic than copper and brass, see below chart https://www.mfcp.com/technical-info/galvanic-corrosion

Click image to enlarge

In the marine environment the usual method of preventing galvanic corrosion is to fix a zinc based sacrificial "anode" to structures so it corrodes rather than your equipment. Now I have seen people fitting these zinc anodes to the chassis' of their Land Rovers and I expect it helps, but how much I do not know.

The other way to prevent or reduce galvanic corrosion is to use non-conductive grease between components (such as Duralac or other) or physical barriers (such as plastic or rubber). It may be interesting to know that one of the best and most readily available non-conductive greases is in fact a lanolin based grease, like that sold by Lanoguard, along with its anti-seize properties. So coating your chassis and components in something like Lanoguard not only provides a physical barrier but a non-conductive, anti-galvanic corrosion barrier as well.

Interesting eh?!

So, the plan for this fuel filter housing is to use the Lanoguard mechanics grease on the threads of the ports, a Dowty washer (as a physical barrier) and to top that off a liberal spray of conventional Lanoguard once fitted. To be honest I am thinking of a (for want of a better description) shower cap over the top as well to keep the worst of the wheel arch spray off the housing. It is possibly one reason why the fuel filter stone shield was revised for the Pumas.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Also, check out the shiny brass ports... Have to love the heated white vinegar and salt cleaning method.

Once again, thanks to GORE for the replacement Thumbs Up
Post #1007387 12th Sep 2023 5:26pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
That's good customer service especially from a company closing "tomorrow", most wouldn't give a flying f.
Post #1007396 12th Sep 2023 6:09pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Yeah I was nicely surprised to be honest. Such a pity they are stepping back from the LR accessories market.
Post #1007419 12th Sep 2023 8:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 45 of 60 <123 ... 444546 ... 585960>