↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A day in the life of Miffy the 110...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 44 of 60 <123 ... 434445 ... 585960>
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Well just a little update from yesterday. Managed to get the wheels back on... Yay!!! Now she looks less like an abandoned project :rofl:

Click image to enlarge

Front end work, I noticed that the intercooler mounting rubbers had worn fairly badly so bought a couple of replacements. This meant it was a good opportunity to flush the intercooler and repaint the support brackets and bonnet slam panel. Since I was there and they looked a bit scabby. So out with the wire wheel and ear defenders and now they look brand new again.

Click image to enlarge

Good first use of the newly emplaced vice too.

Also whilst there I gave the radiator a good brush off as it seems to have collected a bunch of seeds. A good flush through and that is good to go for a few years to come.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next step is to refit the painted brackets and I think a pair of spacers will be needed for the slam panel support brackets so they clear the Allisport intercooler. Cross that bridge in a bit.

Click image to enlarge

After that it is back on with the grill and winch and the front end is almost good to go. Plus a wash and a polish whilst the chequer plate is off.

Then on to the rear...
Post #1004938 21st Aug 2023 9:09am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Front end of Miffy
Last night I had a few hours of dry weather so I popped out and bolted all of the radiator support and bonnet slam panel brackets back into place. Looks really good and I am glad I tool the time to rub back and re-paint them all.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Intercooler, radiator and slam panel support brackets back in place with new rubber bushes. It is quite the fiddle to get everything back together and still be able to close the bonnet and importantly... Open it again... The key to it is to fit everything together loosely, ge it in approximately the right position, then tweak everything together until it lines up properly. A fiddle...

As for the rest of it, the severely trimmed down a-bar lower fixing brackets work just fine. Solid as a rock. Next step is to finish the wiring of the DRLs and replace the wiring to the winch and the front end is almost done.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Rear axle this weekend Rolling with laughter
Post #1005283 24th Aug 2023 10:20am
L110CDL

England 
Miffy's front end is sure looking good now Wink

Q. Did you consider putting the light bar up on the roof rack or just preferred it were it is now ? 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up.

Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1005345 24th Aug 2023 8:38pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi Clayton. I still plan to add lights above the windscreen, as there are four tabs up there waiting, but they are way down the list as only off-road useful.

I did have a pair of round halogen lamps on the front, but when they died (I believe they were fake LR spot lamps) I needed a replacement and fancied something a little more streamlined that didn't block 45% of the air flow to the intercooler and rad Rolling with laughter Obviously I really really wanted a Laser Lamps light bar, but the budget only stretched to a WOWLED unit... Rolling Eyes

To be honest the WOWLED light bar is a passable unit, cheap as chips, the beam pattern is BLAH-ALL-THE-LIGHT but is an excellent help on twisty country roads in winter. Would I like more distance in the beam pattern, absolutely, but I can live with it.
Post #1005349 24th Aug 2023 8:48pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Why would you not park your defender in what looks like a perfectly fine covered area and let that drab silver Subaru or Ford thing waste away in the rain? Should be a law for that really..
Post #1005351 24th Aug 2023 8:53pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

That is the farm hands car port and you do not take that privilege away from them. Although I do long to take it over Wink

For a moment then I thought you were calling the stalwart Phoebe the Freebie drab Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #1005354 24th Aug 2023 9:06pm
L110CDL

England 
geobloke wrote:
Hi Clayton. I still plan to add lights above the windscreen, as there are four tabs up there waiting, but they are way down the list as only off-road useful.

I did have a pair of round halogen lamps on the front, but when they died (I believe they were fake LR spot lamps) I needed a replacement and fancied something a little more streamlined that didn't block 45% of the air flow to the intercooler and rad Rolling with laughter Obviously I really really wanted a Laser Lamps light bar, but the budget only stretched to a WOWLED unit... Rolling Eyes

To be honest the WOWLED light bar is a passable unit, cheap as chips, the beam pattern is BLAH-ALL-THE-LIGHT but is an excellent help on twisty country roads in winter. Would I like more distance in the beam pattern, absolutely, but I can live with it.

Thanks geobloke for the reply as i thought it would be a good excuse to fit some more up above the windscreen Wink
Yes i know what you mean with keeping as much airflow as possible through the grill Very Happy I did the same as you when i replaced my rear light for a light bar, so much better for reversing and especially when towing the trailer Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up.

Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1005355 24th Aug 2023 9:13pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I was due to sort out Phoebe's oozing CV boot this evening but the delivery guy failed miserably and delivered the CV band and tool to a business around the corner. Flippin' irritating...

So since I was prepped and ready to get greasy I jumped on to Miffy and fitted the DRL/Fog control boxes and wiring to the reverse side of the bumper where it should be out of the worst of the weather. Well apart from when crossing a deep river which has been known to happen from time to time...

The control boxes were dismantled and sealed internally and externally so there is no chance any Welsh rain is going to seep into the electronics. The cabling has been fixed in position with some lovely cable tie feet (or bases or whatever they are actually called) and all that is left to do is route the remained of the wiring to the power source under the wing.

A small job, but one that needed doing.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1005816 29th Aug 2023 8:38pm
Dave12345

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Keswick Green
Tidy job and looking good Guy! Passed near yours yesterday whilst trying to avoid the endless caravans
Post #1005842 29th Aug 2023 10:55pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Thanks Dave Thumbs Up Should have stopped in and had a go on the mini Land Rovers course they have set up at the moment...

And they are ULEZ compliant too Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge
Post #1005862 30th Aug 2023 8:29am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Blimey that was a good afternoons effort on ol Miffy...

She is now yet again sat on axle stands and her rear axle is sat cleaned (sort of... jet washed) ready to be wire brushed and painted.

It is going to be a hot and dry week and there will probably not be many more of those this year.

So what is left tomorrow is to pop the half shafts out and have a look at the rear differential. It has done so many miles and this is the opportunity to check it over. Oh I also need to get the a-frame off as well because the rubber boot has more cracks in it than a parched lake bed. The a-frame ball joint was a little bit reluctant to separate from the axle, but a bit of heat from a plumbers torch and it just popped out. So, I this would be the time to replace it I think with one that has a grease nipple. Like the diff it is original to the vehicle and has done ALOT of miles and work on and off road. The only "balls" moment was that the chassis brake line fell apart when I tried to undo the union, so I will have to replace that as well. Ended up stripping all the pipes and callipers off the diff which I would have had to do anyway.

After jet hosing the axle, brake disc guards, shocks, springs, spring retainers, rear wheel carrier and trailing arms there is actually not that much bad rust to be worried about. One minor hole in a disc guard and the spring seats the I knew were toast, but that is it. The rest is surface, paint, plastic coating and waxoyl debris. All of which should be stripped off tomorrow.

Goodness it was an effort to get this far on dirty gravel. Looking forward to getting it all back together again, but clean and painted.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1006278 2nd Sep 2023 9:15pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
ATB Diff and painted rear axle
First job of the day was to remove the rear shock bush cups. I should have done these years ago, but for some unknown reason I didn't. No drilling just a cold chisel and Land Rover tool number 1.

Click image to enlarge

Next it was out with the wire brush and good clean of the axle casing. Honestly the LR welds are awful with spatter all over the place, shoddy work really... Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

And a coat of primer and adhesion promoter. Leave to cook in the September sun.

On to the diff and the challenge of the day. Fitting the ATB diff centre. But first a good look at the 1/4 million mile rear P38 diff. It is a four pin diff (MY 2003) and whilst used is in superb condition. The feel of the diff was smooth but not sloppy at all.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The backlash averaged at 0.11mm and the crown wheel divergence at 0.4mm which are both excellent.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The gear tooth pattern was also excellent

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Really an excellent differential that would have done many many more thousands of miles. On with the dismantling.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

All of the bolts were tight in position, but none had any thread-lock on them.

Click image to enlarge

Almost no wear on the bearing races, run lines, but super smooth

Click image to enlarge

Confirmation of a matching pair of pinion and crown wheel, 32...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Clean... The crown wheel was also buffed on the reverse surface.

Click image to enlarge

The crown wheel was fitted to the ATB diff centre with a dab of thread lock and torqued down. Then fitted to the diff carrier

Click image to enlarge

Now to the complicated bit... setting the backlash. For this I modified the TD5/TDCI fuel pump tool so I could torque down the bearing cup enough and adjust them to get the right backlash.

Click image to enlarge

The final outcome was near identical numbers and tooth pattern as the original 4 pin diff centre setup so I am thrilled at that.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Done

Click image to enlarge

And back into the axle casing, half shafts in and painted.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It feels great when turning the flange, smooth.

And then the bits I didn't get to...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1006422 4th Sep 2023 9:20am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Some good work there. Will that be ATB front/centre/rear when you are complete? 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #1006429 4th Sep 2023 10:21am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
No only front and rear... The trifecta is inevitable though I think. Having seen Mikes videos on the centre diff over the weekend I expect that my centre diff looks similar to the "oh it has no thrust washers one...

Vid 1: https://youtu.be/0zwM4Tdb51k?si=rOAgFmIEpO0XO68a
Vid 2: https://youtu.be/GfIicNBTNzo?si=Co7_bKXMCb8oqEY2

Not that bad, but I have little faith in this "reconditioned" LT230 Rolling Eyes
Post #1006430 4th Sep 2023 10:35am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Thrust washers a wee bit important.... Or none in the case of Mikes video.
Soon it will be front and centre for me. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #1006436 4th Sep 2023 10:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 44 of 60 <123 ... 434445 ... 585960>