↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Going from TD5 to Puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Mother superior wrote:
Can't argue with that. There is a certain feeling of "this engine will not go in this car" "just pop it in anyway, there's a good chap" about late Defenders

I have always felt that if it had been done by someone in his own garage (like we used to do V8 and V6 conversions to old 80" Series Ones three or four decades ago) you'd have thought "good job", but for an engineered solution from the manufacturer it is hard to avoid thinking "oh dear" or even "wtf"!

I think that even when the Puma was being introduced LR had decided that the writing was on the wall for Defender and wanted absolutely to minimise investment in the old model.
Post #970774 11th Nov 2022 3:49pm
Julie

France 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Unsurprisingly Ford decided to mount a Ford engine when designing the Puma

I think it's an advantage, because I had my split turbo hose replaced between Christmas and New Year's Eve while overlanding in Spain.

Ford parts are always on stock and any van mechanic knows the engine.

And it sounds different (with its original chip settings and exhaust). Especially on low rev. I observe many people turning their head because they're interested by its sound. You won't mount any hill in a Ford Transit @ 1200 rpm.
But things may change if you have one of these Transit tunings installed on your CPU.
Post #970818 11th Nov 2022 8:27pm
jim4244

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Well what a waste of a day and diesel!

Drove a round trip of 540 miles to look at the 2008 Puma with 114k on the clock only to find that it had been used to launch and recover boats and shunt mobile homes around a holiday site. Chassis was the worst I have seen in a long time and oil leaks from both diffs, gearbox, transfer box, engine and front swivels. To be honest I didn’t even bother starting it, I just pointed out all the leaks and excessive corrosion on the chassis and body to the owner and came home….

The owner purchased the car just over a year ago and appeared not to have any understanding of Landies or mechanics/maintenance. He had spent £2500 on sawtooth alloys and off road tyres when the money should have been spent on the engine, drivetrain and chassis.

The only positive is that the car was up in North Wales and we drove through the stunning Snowdonia National Park on the way there and back.

Onwards and upwards!

Jim
Post #970907 12th Nov 2022 7:16pm
PCM

United Kingdom 
I’d always try and buy a car off a forum member. Anyone that is motivated in this forum (or others) generally reads about maintenance and hopefully takes pride in the important bits as well as the shiny thighs.

I have a 110 td5 and a puma (td5 is for sale)
I find the TD5 has more space as the dash is further forwards. The 5 gears makes negligible difference in revs and running and as both have been heavily soundproofed there is little difference in noise.

The puma has a better heater (by far) but tends to burn your legs. Unless you add a mudstuff plastic thing.

The puma dash looks more modern but at the same time does still now look dated compared to a normal car.

The puma had more backlash/slack in the drivetrain but now it has the lof intermediate output shaft thing it’s fine.

For some strange reason the puma window surrounds seem to rust more. (Or is that just me). I’ve had 3 pumas and all have rotted a bit. The td5s just seem to have been a better paint job.

I’m only selling the td5 as the other is a utility that better suits my current needs. TD5 or puma I’d be happy with either.
Post #970927 12th Nov 2022 9:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123