↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > clunking gear change and lots of other issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
pannawonica

Australia 
My gearbox when hot becomes cluncky, not a problem but I do notice.
This generally occurs after 2 or 300ks in 30 deg c days after high speed.
This made me think it maybe oil/operating temperature related issue.
In two weeks its going in for service at the stealer 1600 km away.
Post #83135 5th Aug 2011 5:47am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
No worries. The clutch system sucks in some Pumas (tell me!). It is not as nice as in a permanent MB or Jap and requires a bit of "training" to deal with it. When the front (mainly) prop is damaged (eg. by loosing the greasing nipples, flanges etc) and does not turn "freely" then all the backlash is transmitted to the friction plate, etc and you get all clunks. Anyway, yours sounds like kaput. Do not accept nonsense excuses from the dealer. Thumbs Up Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #83136 5th Aug 2011 7:01am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
does anyone get or know what causes a knocking noise when rolling in neutral at low speeds, goes away in gear DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #83284 7th Aug 2011 6:48am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Perhaps a sized UJ? Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #83314 7th Aug 2011 1:34pm
camrad

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Fuji White
LR90XS2011 wrote:
does anyone get or know what causes a knocking noise when rolling in neutral at low speeds, goes away in gear

I once traced the problem in my series iii to a handbrake shoe that was touching ever so slightly which made the knocking noice.

I also have that slow konocing noise when rolling in neutral but have nit checked had brake yet
Post #83920 11th Aug 2011 5:29pm
NoDo$h

England 
As above. Handbrake and UJs are favourites. Thumbs Up 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #83979 11th Aug 2011 11:33pm
Def-00

United Arab Emirates 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Fuji White
It took the dealership four days to remove the transmission and find the problem. It wasn't the clutch but the output shaft that goes between the gearbox and transfer box. Replacement part approx 60 pounds. One problem part isn't available locally at dealers, spare parts shops or LR UK. Dealership said minimum waiting period one month Shocked Only solution is an independent that swapped out brand new manuals into autos for the dealers. New transmission costs 930 pounds. Bonus is no extra charge for labour if I fit in an exhaust system and clutch Wink so total cost: 1.5k Big Cry Guess I'm broke again Very Happy 2012 Fuji White 110 Flattened
Post #83982 12th Aug 2011 1:47am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
pannawonica wrote:
My gearbox when hot becomes cluncky, not a problem but I do notice.
This generally occurs after 2 or 300ks in 30 deg c days after high speed.
This made me think it maybe oil/operating temperature related issue.
In two weeks its going in for service at the stealer 1600 km away.

It seems to be a fairly common effect with the GFT MT82 gearbox. The effect is (probably) caused by the oil thinning as it heats up (unless it is the box expanding), and most TDCi Defenders seem to have a "better" and less clunky gearchange when cold than hot. Ford has experimented with thicker oils (in other applications of the MT82 such as the Mustang) but apparently these caused other problems.

So it seems, for now at any rate we'll have to live with a clunky change when hot.

I would suggest however that anyone with an original style (and by now rattly) clutch gets it replaced with the latest type. I have just had this done on my '07 DC and the difference it made is almost unbelievable, it is so much better.
Post #84011 12th Aug 2011 9:39am
Lukey Boy

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Ditto Blackwolf,

Had my clutch replaced this week and the changes are clunk free now. Very Happy 2008 110 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Post #84147 12th Aug 2011 10:31pm
shrekman

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
JASPERTHEHORSE wrote:
Welcome to Defender ownership.

The gearbox is notoriously rattly and clunky. If you had ever driven a TD5 version you would be able to draw a good comparison of ease of use in the puma. To make the clutch easier on the leg muscles they made the clutch plate lighter with more spring assistance with a net result of the box feeling a bit soft for the car. It seems very hit and miss if you get a good un or a duffa. Ive got one customer who is on his second gearbox and third transfer box. Hes convinced that the geometry is out of line but nonetheless he loves the damm thing to bits.

Leaky footwells? believe me when I say that they are a million times better than they have ever been. You will never ever get a pure watertight seal on a defender, its just not possible due to the method of construction. Plenty of TD5 owners will testify to having a pint of rainwater dumped in their laps when going round corners on rainy days.

Corrosion? Yep it comes pretty much as standard from the factory. Especially on the bolt on bits. Mind Im surprised to hear about a corrosion bleb on the roof. Most certainly NOT normal.

In short. Defenders are 1970's technology somehow exsisting in a very modern world and regretably this is a big reason why we are losing our present model in the very near future for ever. If you have the opportunity, try and book a factory tour and prepare to be amazed when you see how the T5 chassis is assembled versus the army of humans who cobble defenders together, and I mean cobble together.

I dont know, we just love them to bits and seem to accept there shortcomings but theres still no need to live and put up with duff mechanical bits though.

The main difference between Defender and T5 is that the Defender team work with interest in what they do, it is hand built by guys and girls- some of whom have 30 or 40 years service on the same job !!
T5 on the other hand is rushed through production, with - dare i say cheap quality parts that are only designed to last 3 or 4 years ..... by people who have no interest whatsoever in what they do or what the end result actually is. You will never see the true Solihull on a 'factory tour' . Wink
Defender team is around 300 heads in assembly, T5 is around 1300 !!! Thumbs Up

I'm not having a go ... but writing that it is 'cobbled' together is insulting to the workers who build Defenders.
the parts have changed but the engineering hasn't. Rolling Eyes
It will be a very sad day when the last one rolls past my work station !!!!!!!!!! Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry spent 20 years fixing them ... the dealers just wont listen !!!!
Post #97966 3rd Nov 2011 8:42pm
TRR Motorsport

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 ST Galway Green
They may not be cobbled together but the build quality on my 2010 90 is worse than my 2005 110 and thats down to the people that assemble them. (I had to reset the passenger door the day i picked it up!)

The component quality is also worse, corroding parts, weld spatter on the chassis, failed L.E.P bulb holders to name a few and thats purely down to value engineering by JLR! "If it ain't sideways, you just ain't tryin'!
Post #97983 3rd Nov 2011 10:24pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
shrekman wrote:
I'm not having a go ... but writing that it is 'cobbled' together is insulting to the workers who build Defenders.

horse manure! One only need to put a brand new Defender on a lift to see the shoddy workmanship and poor build quality.

A full 18 months after we got ours, the local stealer found out that the bolts securing the top frame to the bottom frames had not even been tightened, some of them even lacking the nuts.

So yes, cobbled together it is. Evil or Very Mad --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #98008 4th Nov 2011 6:18am
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
With a bit of thought to the last post, would it not be more of an issue with PDI checks at the stealers who, traditionally were allways responsible to "double check" so to say the vehicle before it is handed to the customer. This action when it worked, made sure the vehicles were in A1 condition when the owner drove the vehicle off the forecourt, any problems were reported back to the manufacturer to action any changes to quality control and gave Joe Public faith in the quality of the product they were buying.

Personally I do think that the stealers should be more responsible for making sure that what they are selling has been fully checked over, for Christs sake it's probably the one and only time that they can look over the motor without getting their hands too dirty Rolling Eyes
Post #98013 4th Nov 2011 8:56am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
JWL wrote:
With a bit of thought to the last post, would it not be more of an issue with PDI checks at the stealers who, traditionally were allways responsible to "double check" so to say the vehicle before it is handed to the customer. This action when it worked, made sure the vehicles were in A1 condition when the owner drove the vehicle off the forecourt, any problems were reported back to the manufacturer to action any changes to quality control and gave Joe Public faith in the quality of the product they were buying.

Personally I do think that the stealers should be more responsible for making sure that what they are selling has been fully checked over, for Christs sake it's probably the one and only time that they can look over the motor without getting their hands too dirty Rolling Eyes

Even if the stealers did look over the cars, cracks that might not leak or be seen by the customer would probably be ignored to save them work and keep the customer "production line" moving Sad
"Managing quality" these days means managing it down to the minimum level the customer will put up with Evil or Very Mad
and remember the parts are now made in China Rolling Eyes Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #98018 4th Nov 2011 9:23am
DefenderOfTheEarth

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I was worried about ours having had a massive list of issues (covered under warranty but it was a major battle). 2nd to 3rd is definitely notchy. Oddly, ours seems to get better once the box is warmed up though.

Agree with others here - treat it with a bit of care (don't shove it into each gear, be extra careful when it's cold, etc) and it should be okay. I'm half expecting to need a new one eventually; if I do I'll see my Indy and get an Ashcroft one. About £1500 all in. Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #98033 4th Nov 2011 11:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>