↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Symptom 497000 Engine Noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ay4alex

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Java Black
Symptom 497000 Engine Noise
Just to make anyone aware, I've been to JE Engineering this morning, talking to the lad who was doing the tune on our TDCi, and he alerted me to the solution to the occasional "knock" on engine startup, turns out that it's a recognised issue with Land Rover, and there is service action to remedy it.

Symptom 497000
Issue : Heavy audible knocking heard on start up.
Cause : On start up oil pressures can cause the piston cooling jets (PCJ) to latch into a zero flow condition. Due to hysteresis effect in design the jets do not unlatch until the engine is warm and the oil pressures lower again. During this time with no pressurised oil jet flow to the lower pistons / cylinder bores, overheat and content scuff conditions / damage can occur.

Action :
Replace the engine assy but ensure only engines post serial ELD0080707063602 are used.
The condition will not occur on engines post assured VIN: 9a767162. Engines post the info above are fitted with a modified PCJ internal springs and this issue is now closed.

Slightly worrying, especially as ours has done it in the past, and is now out of warranty.

Shocked

Alex 110 Tdci Double Cab
Post #119731 30th Jan 2012 11:16am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Yes this has been mentioned before. It goes up to roughly 2009 models (I have listed the VIN numbers somewhere in the past also!).

A guy I know had a rough engine from new but LR would not do anything about it. Luckily he tows for a living and it blew up at 60,000 miles within the first year, the later replacement engine is over 200,000 now, no problems with later models Wink This is why so many commercial users choose an LR, they are one of the few that do 3 year unlimited mileage warranty Very Happy Maybe the only relevant company, not sure Confused

Could you get yours done as a recall if it's a known problem if you have the symptoms.
Post #119734 30th Jan 2012 11:26am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ay4alex

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Java Black
Thanks Zag, I'll keep any eye on it and make sure the Oil levels are kept on top of.

Hopefully ours will behave itself Evil or Very Mad

Alex 110 Tdci Double Cab
Post #119735 30th Jan 2012 11:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1