↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Rocky start for Land Rover’s new Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
zilch wrote:
whatever the Chinese market is doing in the last 2 months, overall the pandemic has had a disastrous impact
on the worlds economy, including vehicle production and sales, anyone thinking any differently must be living
in Trump's alternative reality lala land.

I think you are missing the point, perhaps because the facts don't fit your opinions - where were JLR getting their info on the "strong demand" for the new Defender? Those graphs they released showing demand above internal targets...

11,000 orders taken since September - perhaps a 10 month period, depending on the cut off period cannot be explained by CV19 alone.

Also, if China is ahead of us (timeline wise) in terms of dealing with the virus, and Volvos sales numbers are replicated in other markets in the coming months then there is cause for hope.
Post #839307 24th Jun 2020 8:52am
Supacat

zilch wrote:
labbix wrote:
Correct, but you can’t deny either that for JLR
“more mundane things like poor quality, lack of reliability and generally bad customer experiences”
play an enormous role as well, unfortunately, and all these are their sole responsibility.

that is quite a sweeping statement for some early release models,

These issues are systemic and not related just to any individual model. The key metric is the cost to JLR of warranty work - a point Speth himself made when explaining away the lack of profit in the last published annual report.

The facts and figures are there for all to see - it's strange to see apologists for JLR arguing against the points made by the esteemed leader himself. Whistle
Post #839312 24th Jun 2020 9:02am
J77

Scotland 
Those graphs don’t show the 90, customers such as myself won’t be included in those figures. There is also customers waiting on more engine choices and those waiting to see the 90 before making a decision on what one would suit them, I would say there is demand for the car but lack of engine choice will put people of jumping at the moment.
Post #839318 24th Jun 2020 9:12am
Supacat

Genuine question - why do you say those graphs exclude the 90?
Post #839320 24th Jun 2020 9:15am
J77

Scotland 
We can’t submit an order yet, so all I have is an expression of interest. Order won’t be submitted until possibly September. There maybe the odd 90 that’s perhaps made it out before LR delayed production.
Post #839323 24th Jun 2020 9:22am
Supacat

I think you are missing the point, perhaps because the facts don't fit your opinions - where were JLR getting their info on the "strong demand" for the new Defender? Those graphs they released showing demand above internal targets...

This is what JLR said to investors after Q3 2020:

"The new sensational Defender, I picked mine up yesterday, it really is as amazing as we’ve been saying, I can assure you of that. The orders we’ve received are about five times the number that we would have expected for a vehicle before start of sale date has been announced. You can see there are now more than one million people have completed their configuration online. I’ve mentioned before, lots of people generally start configurations, and very few finish. This is an unprecedented level of one million people completing that configuration. So, that’s another nice signal to us, which tells us this car is going to be super successful."
Adrian Mardell – Chief Financial Officer

He also said:
"We are actually investing more resource to ensure we get our Defender product right, before we launch. Those costs will continue in Q4, but then go away."

11,000 orders taken since September - perhaps a 10 month period, depending on the cut off period cannot be explained by CV19 alone.

Also, if China is ahead of us (timeline wise) in terms of dealing with the virus, and Volvos sales numbers are replicated in other markets in the coming months then there is cause for hope.

Last edited by Supacat on 24th Jun 2020 10:35am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #839326 24th Jun 2020 9:40am
Supacat

J77 wrote:
We can’t submit an order yet, so all I have is an expression of interest. Order won’t be submitted until possibly September. There maybe the odd 90 that’s perhaps made it out before LR delayed production.

Thumbs Up
Post #839327 24th Jun 2020 9:41am
zilch

Australia 
[quote="Supacat"]
zilch wrote:

I think you are missing the point, perhaps because the facts don't fit your opinions

maybe i just do not agree with your opinions, as you state, markets will start bouncing back and
China is ahead of the recovery curve, the next few months will tell i suspect.. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport

Last edited by zilch on 24th Jun 2020 10:40am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #839332 24th Jun 2020 10:19am
zilch

Australia 
Supacat wrote:
it's strange to see apologists for JLR arguing against the points made by the esteemed leader himself. Whistle

edited because i cannot be bothered to get into a personal slanging match Laughing yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #839333 24th Jun 2020 10:22am
Supacat

zilch wrote:

maybe i just do not agree with your opinions.

I started the thread with an extract from the FT, used quotes, and referenced JLR themselves. I'm not certain my opinions are actually entirely my own.

That aside, I welcome your not agreeing with them and constructing an alternative narrative. It's all food for thought, especially on a day like today, where here in the UK, it's already too hot to do anything but chew gums.

Returning to the thread, and it's purpose, was to highlight the issue JLR have over playing games with numbers when the truth will always come out in the wash.
Post #839334 24th Jun 2020 10:46am
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Rashers wrote:
I agree with all of the above.

I'm not sure that the new Defender and the Ineos vehicle will be fighting for the same customers?

Had to laugh. I got a sponsored Instagram post today by Land Rover - you know the one, the film with the cute little dog sitting in the back of the Land Rover. Some of the comments were hilarious. Some not complimentary to JLR but predominantly, the advertising agency seem to have made a better job selling Dogs than vehicles by the replies Laughing

The words Dulux and Old English Sheepdogs seem to come to mind Rolling with laughter

We can all laugh at Land Rover and its new Defender. We can all say how good Ineos will be. In the end I'm not so sure the latter will be a real sales hit when it arrives on the market.
I'm not so sure my 2013 Defender 130 is as good as the new Defender either. Is it really a bag of Censored on fancy wheels of are we just a bit Censored it doesn't look as classic as we want it to be?

@Tim... BMW's and other brands as well can also leak. Don't ask me how I know. My last BMW 5 series (2017) had creaking door pillars, as had the one I drove from 2003. My first Defender ever leaked. There is something like warranty. Simply get it fixed. No stress. Wink
Post #839335 24th Jun 2020 10:48am
Slideywindows

England 
Ecco wrote:
..there is no really surprise here for anyone with open mind and a bit perspective over wider world than one JLR PR campaign is portraying..they do not have enough James Bond movies to make this turd sell well..and its true ugly face will be seen some 2-3 years from now, when gremlins catch up..totally wrong name plate on totally wrong vehicle..its doomed..

I have no vested interest in you being right Ecco, but I have a gut feeling that you are.

The economy may be going to improve, but the vehicle isn't going to get any prettier.

If you were the new Defender looking for love on a dating site and got this amount of positive responses, you'd probably go away and slit your wrists.....
Post #839336 24th Jun 2020 11:06am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Gent's I have an update for you...

Yesterday I went for a drive in a new 110, (it was pre-agreed that no photos would be posted).

Whilst the Defender2 is not the replacement I wanted to see, hoping that there was room in the
LR line up for a true no-nonsense, standards compliant, adaptable, tough, fixable in the field...
(you know the arguments...)

I have to say I was impressed... all be it, driving around in a (possibly) tougher 'styled' D5
with a X2 + price tag over even a... I've ticked all the boxes Def1, (crazy money really)

I hope it doesn't boom for LR and we must acknowledge they have launched at possible one of the
worst times for the Car industry.

LR has the brand leverage to bring to the Def2 but the practicalities for the 'toughest vehicle in the
range' on which it will be judged should overtake the i'm in a LR therefore nothing else matters.

The Def2 is what it is... when de-bugged / maybe even face-lifted V2Def2 most will get use to
it to a large degree... the absolute must get right issues for world wide markets is the Def2 must
outdo its competition and this will be ultimately come down principally to two measures of judgement...
capability and reliability

(if you can ignore the price Shocked ) SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #839350 24th Jun 2020 11:43am
zilch

Australia 
Supacat wrote:
zilch wrote:

maybe i just do not agree with your opinions.

I started the thread with an extract from the FT, used quotes, and referenced JLR themselves. I'm not certain my opinions are actually entirely my own.

That aside, I welcome your not agreeing with them and constructing an alternative narrative. It's all food for thought, especially on a day like today, where here in the UK, it's already too hot to do anything but chew gums.

Returning to the thread, and it's purpose, was to highlight the issue JLR have over playing games with numbers when the truth will always come out in the wash.

updated after a bit of research

CFO statement was 30th January, overall Q3 result notes claim Coronavirus could have an impact on projected numbers, so they did not totally hide this.

Notes from FY20 results you can find it here.. https://www.jaguarlandrover.com/2016/repor...-downloads

UK/ Europe and US markets Defender release June, China July and rest of world not until August (Australia being one),
Call out in the investor pack that pandemic had significant impact on global production and units sold

and a quick chart showing sales in Q4 in China.. whilst not at precovid levels, they have recovered a fair bit.

That is why i take what journalists say with a pinch of salt, a vehicle launch in the middle of one of the biggest
challenges we have faced globally and they seem surprised in the low number of units shifting .. Whistle

Click image to enlarge
 yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #839355 24th Jun 2020 12:06pm
Supacat

You are confusing demand, measured as orders taken, and sales, more specifically retail sales.

To be clear JLR had retail sales of the new Defender of 200 vehicles to 31st March 2020. We'll have to wait until July, I think to know the Q1 FY21 figures.

When taking about demand, there should also be no confusion with regard to production and whether the vehicles are available to be sold or not. Not sure why you mention production?

JLR were vague about the actual numbers of orders taken, preferring to talk about demand in terms of online configurations instead and publish meaningless graphs with no scales. If the figures were good they would have been shouting it out loudly.

Now it has published actual orders, there is a disconnect between the figures and the narrative they were previously reports ~ 11,000 orders from the public is not strong demand measured against a target of 100,000 retail sales per annum.

So far, the only missing piece of the jigsaw is cancelled orders ~ there I could accept we could start talking about CV19 (amongst other factors).; but if the order book did not get above 11,000 pre~covid then covid is not really a factor, especially in statements put out by JLR that pre~date it!

The FT are quoting an analyst ~ that's different from the journalist's own opinion...
Post #839601 25th Jun 2020 10:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>