Home > General & Technical (L663) > Rocky start for Land Rover’s new Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
J77

Scotland 
Supacat wrote:
J77 wrote:
I turned down the test drive of the 110, mainly because it’s a 90 on coils I’m going for and I don’t like just 15 mins with the car. I’d rather have at least 24hrs with it.

Is anyone getting 24 hours with a 110?

Will you get 24 hours with a 90?

Not at the moment, hopefully by the time 90s show up things will have calmed down a bit.
Post #839908 26th Jun 2020 6:05pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
When you say calmed down a bit, do you mean people are queuing up to test drive the 110s? Perhaps not literally ~ but is there strong demand to try?

I'm just curious if dealers are going to offer 24 hours test drives if demand is soft.
Post #839915 26th Jun 2020 6:22pm
J77

Scotland 
Once more lockdown restrictions have been lifted. Thumbs Up

At the moment it’s limited to a 15min solo drive but usually can get an extended test no problem.
Post #839918 26th Jun 2020 6:33pm
Tim in Scotland

Up here officially showrooms are still closed and the dealer I used was doing business outside and online, demos and visits by invitation only. I was allowed 15 minutes to test drive and I assumed that that was because if the car is taken out for longer it then has to be deep cleaned rather than just “sanitised” also no salesman can accompany you due to the 2m distance rule which is very difficult to achieve even from the 3rd row of seats in a new Defender, impossible in a 5 seater. This may be Part of the dealership C-19 business policy rather than industry wide.

I’m sure when lockdown ends there will be no problem to have a longer drive. In my experience Land Rover dealers are very reluctant to do 24 hour or long test drives.

When I asked to test drive the Countryman I was asked “how long would you like the car for, the weekend or longer?” I had it for 4 days in the end but it was conditional that if somebody else wanted a test drive after my 1st 72 hours I would return it as soon as possible - I took it back after 96 hours and placed the order there and then. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 26th Jun 2020 7:05pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #839926 26th Jun 2020 7:01pm
J77

Scotland 
D5 I got the afternoon with it but the Velar was full 24hrs.
Post #839928 26th Jun 2020 7:05pm
Tim in Scotland

J, I see Pentland now has a stock of 52 110’s in the group. They sent me an email telling me so yesterday and inviting me to contact any showroom if I’m interested in buying one........... most are lower spec or First Edition cars and there's one HSE listed. End of quarter is coming up - time to catch a deal so the dealership gets its sales bonus......... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #839931 26th Jun 2020 7:10pm
J77

Scotland 
Yeah, they have 59 on their website. A few Blues. Looks like they are offering £500 deposit allowance.
Post #839945 26th Jun 2020 8:15pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
J77 wrote:

At the moment it’s limited to a 15min solo drive but usually can get an extended test no problem.

Wow, can you imagine buying a house after a 15 minute viewing.....let alone something that has a high probability of ending up back with the dealer to fix something or other Whistle
Post #839947 26th Jun 2020 8:52pm
spudfan

Ireland 
To show belief in how good their product is (in this case the new Defender), JLR should cover it with a seven year unlimited mileage warranty and any time it spends getting faults rectified should be added to the warranty period extending it for this amount of time.. It'll never happen but that would instil confidence in the brand. Think how much they would save. "Lets get this right. We'll build a quality vehicle with a seven year warranty which no one will ever need to use.".Seven year or twenty seven year warranty, I still would not buy one. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #839950 26th Jun 2020 9:09pm
Tim in Scotland

markb110 wrote:
J77 wrote:

Wow, can you imagine buying a house after a 15 minute viewing.....let alone something that has a high probability of ending up back with the dealer to fix something or other Whistle

We cannot even buy a house up here at the moment let alone go for a look around one - lots of contracts are in limbo. The only way you can move here is if the house you are moving to was vacant before lockdown. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #839953 26th Jun 2020 9:23pm
Tim in Scotland

J77 wrote:
Yeah, they have 59 on their website. A few Blues. Looks like they are offering £500 deposit allowance.

Found out today that if you go to their website and find a car with a configurator photo on it that is an actual car in stock, basically anything else is a car in build that will be in stock in the next two weeks. So a lot of that 59 hasn’t actually been built yet...... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #839957 26th Jun 2020 9:26pm
zilch

Australia 
Supacat wrote:
[

I think you need to edit it a 5th time, it's still not making any sense... I think you've done so many 180 degree turns in your comments that you don't know which way is up Rolling Eyes

the moral is i should not try replying to multi-quoted posts on an ipad watching a film at the same time,
the quote/unquote tabs can be tricky Laughing yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #839981 26th Jun 2020 11:38pm
Supacat

Interesting piece from Chris Harris that seems spot on for the current Defender market:

"The carmakers have effectively become banks, renting ever more expensive cars to customers whose earning power hasn’t kept up with the cost of the new machinery."

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/opinion/chris-harris-car-finance
Post #840184 28th Jun 2020 10:47am
J77

Scotland 
An entry level new Defender has everything on it and more than anybody really needs. My Velar has a lot of toys that I never use, only got the spec I got because there was a deal I couldn’t refuse.

I’m looking at an S spec 90 but the only thing I want that it has is the digital dash but is it really worth a £3k price increase for what is essentially a £500 option on other cars in the range. So I’m now looking at taking a base 90, which will keep it well within my £45k budget, £50k tops but only if I was taking a 110.
Post #840212 28th Jun 2020 1:10pm
Supacat

Potentially good news for JLR in China.

"BEIJING -- Vehicle sales advanced for a third straight month in China, signaling that an economic rebound is gathering pace as the coronavirus pandemic gradually abates in the country.

Sales of passenger cars such as sedans and utility vehicles, as well as commercial vehicles, increased 11 percent in June from a year earlier to 2.28 million units, the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers said Thursday in a statement, citing preliminary figures. From the preceding month, the increase was 4 percent."

https://www.autonews.com/china/china-vehic...emic-eases
Post #841416 3rd Jul 2020 4:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>