↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > clunking gear change and lots of other issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
DefenderOfTheEarth

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I change gear like an old lady in our 110 - veeeeery slowly and gently. So much so that I hadn't realised how knackered my clutch was! Now replaced and feels way more positive.

Speedy snick snack gear changes + Defender = doom

I also use sustained gear changes for downshifting a fair bit - learned in cop training and smooths it out a lot and is kind to the drivetrain.

Wife took her test (and passed first time) in a (new at the time) 90 300TDI and grew up with them so is a decent Defender driver.

The BM has an auto so I let the car do the work.

I do like a nice positive manual 'box though - Porsche and Honda rule the roost for sublime shifters IMO.

Oh and my MTB has top line XO shifters - Honda-esque in their action. Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #73749 1st Jun 2011 3:41pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
yeah, but no matter how smooth I am, there is a distinct grating going 2-3 and 3-4 esp. On my drive home just now, I went 3-N, freewheeled and then N-4, and it was really sticky going into 4. something is definitely rotten in that gearbox --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #73755 1st Jun 2011 4:40pm
Cowpat

United Kingdom 
That's Knackered Big Cry 1986 Defender 90 County V8
1997 Overfinch Defender 90 570HSI - Pass anything apart from a petrol pump!
2011 Defender 90 TDCI xs
Best 4x4 by Far!
Post #73763 1st Jun 2011 5:31pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Naks wrote:
yeah, but no matter how smooth I am, there is a distinct grating going 2-3 and 3-4 esp. On my drive home just now, I went 3-N, freewheeled and then N-4, and it was really sticky going into 4. something is definitely rotten in that gearbox

If you are sure your friction plate etc is good then the grating comes from the synchros. Are you aware of the kind of oil it is in there?

You can do an oil analisys and check how much bronze runs. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #73764 1st Jun 2011 6:11pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Miserableolgit wrote:
Lorryman100 wrote:
Or it's the ecu registering that the vehicle is moving and is employing the anti stall feature.

Yep.

As for clunks, TBH I've never had a Defender or earlier 110, 90 etc that didn't have a certain amount of 'play' in the drivetrain, it's the nature of the beast even to a certain extent from new. Ok there are obviously variations but as components wear the clunks get gradually worse and can be pronounced especially if the driver is used quick car style gearchanges. My wife does not have a 'feel' for any of my Defenders and is guaranteed to produce the most god awful clunks and bangs during every gearchange. Instead of feeling for the next gear she just snaps it in and does very the same with the clutch and throttle - everything is in a rush. I tend to take my time and drive as though it has a crash gearbox, the transmission is a straightforward but somewhat dated design and complains if it's treated like a euro or jap car.

Ditto exactly! MOGs said it all. I drive mine the same as the Series which has no synchro - feed the gears in, take your time and don't put the power down until you have released the clutch - no notches or clunks, it's as smooth as a car, you just have to take your time Thumbs Up The play in the drive-train will come with more miles for me Neutral

There does seem to be more issues with the Pumas drive-train than it predecessors though Sad They don't seem to like the extra oomph!
Post #73766 1st Jun 2011 6:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Mine had started to clunk until the prop shaft bolts were tightened up. Thumbs Up
Post #73773 1st Jun 2011 7:29pm
laundry_man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
Similar problem with my 90. The gear change is not what I would expect from a vehicle with less than 3000 miles. The synchromesh on 2nd and 3 rd gears are clicky and noisy. If you really take your time then it will go in without any noise. My previous Land Rover was a 300Tdi 90 with over 100,000 miles on the clock which had a much better gear change. I do wonder if it could be a clutch problem, perhaps the clutch is not fully releasing. The clutch pedal has to be all the way to the floor before you attempt a gear change. But after having said that the clutch pedal biting point is where you would expect it to be. It is not a problem with play in the drive train on my Land Rover; it is either a clutch or gearbox problem. Perhaps with more miles it will improve. 2004 Freelander TD4 Sport
2010 Defender 90 Hartop
Post #73798 1st Jun 2011 9:59pm
galawaygreen

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Re: clunking gear change and lots of other issues
galawaygreen wrote:
some advice needed please

after a few months of new puma ownership and trying to get to establish if this is an issue.

2nd gear change notchy and clunkly at best 2nd to 3rd sometimes the same, how i pull the gearstick seems to have an impact (crazy is there a right and wrong way to do this ?)
big clunking noise coming from gear box when changing any gear sounds bit like a new uj needed but cannot find any play when i checked.
is it normally to have free play when rotating the front prop about 20mm each way does not seem to be from the uj but play at gear box. rear prop has no play at all.

all under warrenty but do not want to look a complete idiot when i speak to the dealer.
going in to talk about this issue
leaking footwells and the other below

Ok update they want the car in for a whole week to address the roof bullhead side steps rear step they won't do the door mirrors as there is a chip on one of them and this is the reason for the corrosion, what Censored , tried to tell me that the side steps were not standard, what a Censored as him to look 10 feet to his right at the one in the show room to see an identical car to the one he was viewing!!!

The leaky footwells are to be looked at they want to strip the dash out for this and the most amusing part was when I was told I need to pay a £10 a day damage waiver for the loan car next week while they take there time to sort issues, Jesus they do try your patience

Leaving the clunking clutch until later as did not want to tax the dealer to much in one go. According to the chap if you bolt on any land rover goodies then you only get one year and are not covered under the full warrantee true or not ?

rust bubble on roof
corrosion on foot step rear
corrosion on side steps both
corrosion on bulkhead

car is only 8 months old!! Big Cry

sad thing is all this is considered normal Exclamation
Post #73803 1st Jun 2011 10:35pm
warren

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
Mines started to clunk. AGAIN! Evil or Very Mad

Mostly fourth to fifth this time though, doesn't matter how smooth or slow I change gear, it will nearly always clunk as it takes up drive again.

Ho, bloody, hum.
Post #73812 2nd Jun 2011 12:36am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Has the clunking clutch been eliminated with the new stronger LR 12199 clutch or is it just the same. When did they start putting the new clutch on in the factory or haven't they yet?
Post #73821 2nd Jun 2011 7:00am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
MK wrote:
If you are sure your friction plate etc is good then the grating comes from the synchros. Are you aware of the kind of oil it is in there? You can do an oil analisys and check how much bronze runs.

Well, the truck has 24000km on it now, and the gearbox is still on its factory oil, never been changed. Will take it up with the stealer when it goes in next week. --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #73835 2nd Jun 2011 8:52am
DefenderOfTheEarth

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I didn't ask but might I have a newer clutch? Had one fitted yesterday under warranty on my 57 reg 110.

Feels MUCH better! Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #73847 2nd Jun 2011 9:48am
MK

Naks wrote:
MK wrote:
If you are sure your friction plate etc is good then the grating comes from the synchros. Are you aware of the kind of oil it is in there? You can do an oil analisys and check how much bronze runs.

Well, the truck has 24000km on it now, and the gearbox is still on its factory oil, never been changed. Will take it up with the stealer when it goes in next week.

My new box came with ATF Shocked Shocked . I do not know if the idiot who setup the thing was local or international. Puma 110" SW

Post #73852 2nd Jun 2011 10:17am
MK

DefenderOfTheEarth wrote:
I didn't ask but might I have a newer clutch? Had one fitted yesterday under warranty on my 57 reg 110.

Feels MUCH better!

You will see in the next 10thousand miles. Puma 110" SW

Post #73853 2nd Jun 2011 10:19am
Def-00

United Arab Emirates 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Fuji White
I also have the clicking from 2nd to 3rd gear. it doesn't happen if i shift really slowly. Since I had the defender from new it sometimes would make a clank/clunk (very loud click) don't know how to explain the sound, when i release the clutch pedal and a thud when accelerating. I always fully release the clutch before accelerating. I feel really stupid now as it seems this shouldn't be normal. As I was leaving the stables today while accelerating i heard the same clunk but was significantly louder and would sound twice within a second and the sound would come when accelerating and releasing the pedal just before it should decelerate. This went on for 10km back into the city till i got to my gf's house her brother was home, so i asked him if he knew how serious it sounded. We drove off took a u-turn 10-metres away shifted into second then all you hear is a constant grinding/whining sound and no power put it in neutral pushed it back to the house. Land Rover were already closed and won't be open till saturday morning. I know this means the clutch needs replacing but will it be done under warranty or will this be filed under misuse and I would have to foot the bill? 2011 Defender 90 all service has been done at LR very mild offroad only towed once with it and 38k KM on the clock. Is this normal for the clutch to fail completely? I've driven manual before a 1986 nissan pickup that was abused and did not complain once, a 2002 mini, 2006 land cruiser, 2008 bmw m3, nissan patrol, dodge srt10 pickup, and so much more. so I don't think it was my driving style... It's been 5 hours and I already miss the defender, borrowed an x6 v8 and as soon as i drove it remembered my e70 x5 the comfort the sharpness of the steering the power. God it sucks i want my brick back Big Cry I miss you 2012 Fuji White 110 Flattened
Post #83129 5th Aug 2011 1:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>