↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Waxoiling in Berkshire
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
To get back to the original question - can anyone recommend anywhere in Berks?

I want to get the new 110 done when it arrives and the TR90 could do with another top up. Although I know you can do it yourself I could do without the hassle and mess.

Cheers Thumbs Up John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #70254 9th May 2011 3:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Can only suggest Gigglepin who are near Sevenoaks. They take the car for a minimum of 3 days but ideally 4-5 days to allow them to clean it properly, let it dry, and mask it all up before treating it. They charge £700 + vat to Dinitrol a 110. I don't know of there work, I just remember them offering the service!

You have a real advantage when it is new as it won't have all the muck on it. I had to clean the oil/grease off mine in places that were left from the factory production as I painted mine first but as long as yours is clean from dirt etc you could spray your under-seal straight on Thumbs Up

JSG if you get really stuck drop me a line Thumbs Up Whilst it is new it would be worth getting hold of a can of Wurth Anti Corrosion Wax. It is clear stuff that goes on like polish so very good for engine bays, interior nuts, unpainted body rivets - anything you want protecting but don't want sticky brown wax all over it Thumbs Up
Post #70280 9th May 2011 4:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Zagato

I take a little offence at that - i know you came on here some time ago and peed everyone off for asking a million and one questions, fine by me - and are now the foremost expert in all things - whatever floats your boat - i don’t really care

To be honest i didnt really read all your post - but the quick skim read was enough.

First off - I have a wide berth of experience and used a number of things in a varied level of exposure to those things. In this case - im not brand loyal to waxoyl - i just admit they make a good product that is well regarded, easy to apply by the amateur and gets the job done - there is often a reason why some of these things are readily available.

There are many people who become harded in the circles you mention to the brand eg: dont like hammerite for some reason and then go out of their way to destroy them - same can be said about Land Rovers with such topics as reliability etc.

Classics cars in the family we have many including a wedding silver shadow rollys Royce - where the grille (as you know) probably costs more than my old defender! so i appreciate classic cars Thumbs Up On that Classic Cars are funny - some of the people into that A) could benefit from getting a life (inflammatory comment i know) and B) Already have a mentality that its there way and thats it as they are the best c) Can be over geeky - which isnt a problem. As much as im not a fan of Before and After - Chris started in classics and uses waxoyl

Second - ignoring having the kit - actually what you say isnt correct. But if it were you can make the normal waxoyl do all that stuff.

Third - driontal (yes the sheep dip stuff) does have its downsides...but i know with your experience and weekends spent painting your defender you dont want to hear that.

Miserableolgit is right - and i really dont care what you use or dont, but i could offer some advice that will a) get it done quickly b) get it done well and right

Fourth - as in many posts on this its important to understand the many different "waxoyl" products as there are 3 and how to apply them - there isnt a one size fits all and i would agree, using the yellow can on the external surface however applied, isnt going to win

Oh and Adrian Flux thread - you of course read my update but incidentally i was correct.

If you would like to see a 1949 S1 on an original chassis that was waxoyled at 15ish years ago from memory, with nothing before and is in perfect condition - let me know or a few others. Whistle

The thing with all these things, waxoyls, recovery etc - is you (not you the royal you) can get very geeky, very
entrenched very blinkered and adopt some rather hard core views that to be honest are just balderdash (or bollo**s) - take everyone hating land rover for introducing electrics from the 300!

And lighten up Thumbs Up No hard feelings Mike
Post #70287 9th May 2011 6:49pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
None taken mate Thumbs Up
Post #70289 9th May 2011 7:07pm
Jammer600

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
When I had my hilux a couple of years back, took it to be motd, waited whilst it was done and helped out a bit, he asked had I been greasing round and I said yeah and hopefully will have waxoiled it by the next mot, he said Iyou can do that here If you want, I said yeah but I'll have to spend ages cleaning it first!! You can do that here too!! After the mot if you want?! So I was like yeah go on then, he gave me a weather jacket, truck was up on the ramps, steam cleaned it off proper, turned up next morning and waxoiled it!!!! Charged me a tenner for the waxoil!!!! Was well happy, seemed to be good enough for the length of time I keep vehicles!! Ha ha, gotta do my puma now!!
Post #70315 9th May 2011 9:31pm
MrFlips

Wales 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Santorini Black
mse wrote:
If you would like to see a 1949 S1 ...

Off Topic When wouldn't anyone want to see a full grill eighty inch? Best looking Land Rover to date Thumbs Up Peter
2008 SWB Truck Cab
1952 80" Soft top
Post #70333 9th May 2011 10:37pm
CyberCharlie

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Java Black
Jammer600 wrote:
..., gotta do my puma now!!

Wanna do mine too? Laughing
Post #70340 9th May 2011 11:23pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
MrFlips wrote:
mse wrote:
If you would like to see a 1949 S1 ...

Off Topic When wouldn't anyone want to see a full grill eighty inch? Best looking Land Rover to date Thumbs Up

There you go Mr Flips - even better a Pre Production model (number 11) Thumbs Up This guy has had his for twenty odd years and took it for a little jaunt up to somewhere like the Arctic then back down to Spain with a Range Rover as a back up vehicle Shocked .

The blue 109" on the end also has it's original chassis with no evidence of rust preventative treatment, yet it's been a working vehicle most of it's life but largely looked after - was originaly an odd jobs estate car for the Land Owner then a farm hack in the eighties. I'll take a pic of the inderside - It's not a pretty site, should give it more attention really but hey it fires up every morning for the school run - looks ain't important on that one Rolling Eyes I'll put it on a new galvanised chassis once I have finished the other rebuild!

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by Zagato on 10th May 2011 7:21am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #70356 10th May 2011 6:47am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
It's had new dumb irons, outriggers, rear crossmember and probably a rear quarter chassis (I never go under it so don't know Shocked It just get used!) and has patches all over but it will carry on for a few years yet Thumbs Up

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #70359 10th May 2011 7:07am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
And what it - my daily drive looks like inside - not pretty Embarassed but it doesn't matter it's also a working vehicle!AND great fun with the tilt off, definitely more fun than the Puma in this hot weather Thumbs Up

Post #70361 10th May 2011 7:13am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I never go under it - but just happen to have a picture Rolling with laughter Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #70363 10th May 2011 7:33am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Yeah 6.00 am this morning just for you guys Rolling Eyes

Well anything to avoid the kids breakfast chaos routine and no I can't wipe your bottom I'm very busy ask YOUR MOTHER! Wink I can be found hiding behind the computer at meal times. bath times and always when the mother in law is around Shocked
Post #70365 10th May 2011 7:46am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Re: Waxoiling in Berkshire
CyberCharlie wrote:
Hi everyone,

I would like to waxoil my Defender, can you recommend a good professional near Reading area?

thanks Smile

Sorry mate back to the original question Embarassed
Post #70366 10th May 2011 8:22am
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Hi Zagato
I've heard of this stuff called Dinitrol. Any good ?

Rolling with laughter
Post #70447 10th May 2011 8:28pm
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
sorry couldn't resist !

but if it was Groundhog day I'd love to spray your untreated chassis with fairy liquid and salt just to see your reaction Laughing
Post #70451 10th May 2011 8:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>