↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > TD5 Remap
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Lorryman100

Re: TD5 Remap
alanhid wrote:
Can anyone comment on the benefits of an engine remap for fuel economy, thinking of investing in a stage 1 Alive tuning remap for my TD5 90

Alan, I've a Puma (I know it's not a TD5 Rolling Eyes ) and as you are local to me I am willing to let you have a go with the standard LR map and then with the remapped files I got from Gary at Alive tuning. It will let you feel the difference in the way the landy handles. True, if you boot it all the time you will lose out on fuel economy. However the gains in torque means less gear changes, so no high revving, or need to drop gears on those lovely hills near us. I put the original tune back on the Landy the other day as I want to take it back to the dealers as it needs some warranty work looked at. The original tune stayed on for an hour before re installing the remapped files as the Landy struggled to pass an Artic on the straight at Addiewell Crying or Very sad It really does make a difference having the Landy remapped. My fuel use has gone down when towing as there is more torque meaning less gear changes, an example would be the climb up from Abington on the M74 (North) stayed in 6th gear whilst towing my caravan and only dropped 6mph by the summit. Didn't come out of 6th until I came off the motorway at Stonehouse Very Happy and I achieved 24.3 MPG. On average I get between 26-29MPG with the remap but a lot depends on my driving mood Whistle
So I guess what I'm trying to say is that a remap is the way to go as it will make your Landy a new beast to drive. And I would definitely recommend Alive tuning to anyone looking for a remap, Gary has even posted on here about the great deal he is doing for forum members Bow down
If you want to take up my offer pm me your mobby number and I'll call you back to arrange a go

EDIT: The offer is also open to any local members thinking of getting a remap Thumbs Up
Post #65482 29th Mar 2011 12:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Well..... the cynic has been converted Smile

In light of Alive's offer, a good chat with Gary this afternoon to help address my concerns and the positive feedback from fellow Td5/Puma owners on here, I'm taking the plunge with Alive's half price remap offer. Thumbs Up

I'm just looking for better driveability, better fuel economy would be a bonus but without taking the engine too far towards its stress limits. An 'allrounder' remap if you like. Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #65513 29th Mar 2011 5:37pm
Lorryman100

party monkey wrote:

In light of Alive's offer, a good chat with Gary this afternoon to help address my concerns and the positive feedback from fellow Td5/Puma owners on here, I'm taking the plunge with Alive's half price remap offer. Thumbs Up

I'm just looking for better driveability, better fuel economy would be a bonus but without taking the engine too far towards its stress limits. An 'allrounder' remap if you like.

I'll give you a week before you want the stage 2................... Whistle Laughing
Post #65619 30th Mar 2011 1:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
alanhid

Scotland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Lorryman,
thanks for the offer, I might take you up on that one at some point given we are so close to each other. I can certainly see the benefits for the remap in terms of power/torque but I was mainly enquiring in relation to fuel economy. From what I have established the extra gain in mpg wouldnt be enough to justify the cost of the remap, I generally average around 27mpg and thats with a hannibal rack and safari snorkel fitted. I dont tow or carry heavy loads and the monthly mileage is only around 5 or 600 at most and majority of my driving is local with hardly any motorway...........thats what the wifes car is for. In short I dont think I will be pursuing the remap for the time being....
Anyway I will keep an eye out for you on the road, I also travel the A71 most days as far as sunny Shotts and Im a regular visitor to the clyde valley. look out for the wave.. Thumbs Up cheers Life is not a rehearsal!
Def 90td5 CSW xs 2006
Post #65654 30th Mar 2011 5:33pm
Lorryman100

Hmmmm Sunny Shotts..........Let me guess where you work.....Never mind, Mr GK had already grassed you up... Whistle Laughing
Post #65668 30th Mar 2011 7:20pm
alanhid

Mr GK.............hmmmmm Life is not a rehearsal!
Def 90td5 CSW xs 2006
Post #65670 30th Mar 2011 7:26pm
Lorryman100

I'll give you a clue..... he stays within spitting distance and drives a black poofmobile.... nissan something or other?
Post #65671 30th Mar 2011 7:28pm
alanhid

surname 4 letters with a rr Life is not a rehearsal!
Def 90td5 CSW xs 2006
Post #65672 30th Mar 2011 7:35pm
Td5 Tom

United Kingdom 
The half price remap offer sounds good
Post #65675 30th Mar 2011 7:51pm
wobble_hd

Td5 Tom wrote:
The half price remap offer sounds good

Amen to that! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
M
Post #65724 31st Mar 2011 7:59am
alanhid

Lorryman100 wrote:
I'll give you a clue..... he stays within spitting distance and drives a black poofmobile.... nissan something or other?

Rolling with laughter I was trying to think of someone I worked with currently.............yeah his nissan Z whatever is a bit girlie, he spends more time washing it than drivin it. MR GK is a good mate of mine. Life is not a rehearsal!
Def 90td5 CSW xs 2006
Post #65916 1st Apr 2011 6:48pm
Lorryman100

alanhid wrote:
Lorryman100 wrote:

Rolling with laughter I was trying to think of someone I worked with currently.............yeah his nissan Z whatever is a bit girlie, he spends more time washing it than drivin it. MR GK is a good mate of mine.

Whistle yep, sounds about right.......... Rolling with laughter
Post #65917 1st Apr 2011 6:53pm
gambit

Tomorrow I am off to see the Gadget Show.

Oh and the Landie is seeing Ian at IRB for a Stage 1

Big grin day
Post #67468 15th Apr 2011 7:10pm
wobble_hd

Ordered a Nanocom remap fr TD5Alive! Received it in my mailbox a few hours later!
WOW! Thumbs Up What a difference! New Defender in few minutes!
Very thankfull for great service and a great product!
M
Post #69073 30th Apr 2011 8:10am
Tazz

United Kingdom 
party monkey wrote:

I'm just looking for better driveability, better fuel economy would be a bonus but without taking the engine too far towards its stress limits. An 'allrounder' remap if you like.

So what was the outcome?

Tazz
Post #73756 1st Jun 2011 4:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>