↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > earth grounding points in engine bay
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
coln18

Scotland 
earth grounding points in engine bay
fitting a heatshot unit for my 110 td5 2004 just under the heater matrix in the right hand side of engine bay, where is the nearest grounding point to attach my negative wire to in the engine bay or can i just attach it to any bolt that is connected to the cars engine bay.

Thanks

Colin
Post #98951 9th Nov 2011 4:51pm
stevie d

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Alpine White
Any substantial bolt will do.

Make sure its paint free - metal to metal.

Steve Thumbs Up Defender 90 TD5 Station Wagon
Discovery 3 HSE
BMW 330i Coupe
Post #98970 9th Nov 2011 5:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cobs

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Post #98982 9th Nov 2011 6:26pm
coln18

Scotland 
cobs wrote:
see below:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic4787.h...alphatherm

Hi Cobs, cheers for the link, where abouts on the the bulkhead was that earth connection point, i have everything connected up just the black earth cable to connect, i couldnt see a earth point within reach of my cable
Post #98986 9th Nov 2011 6:42pm
cobs

passenger side just to the left of the rubber bulkhead grommet and the bracket where the water pipes go through the bulkhead (standing at the front onf the car looking towards the bulkhead)
Post #98991 9th Nov 2011 6:47pm
cobs

Quote:
fitting a heatshot unit for my 110 td5 2004

apologies - just re-read your post - mine's a 2007 Puma - not sure where the equivalent is on a TD5
Post #98993 9th Nov 2011 6:52pm
coln18

Scotland 
cobs wrote:
Quote:
fitting a heatshot unit for my 110 td5 2004

apologies - just re-read your post - mine's a 2007 Puma - not sure where the equivalent is on a TD5

Damn, i got all excited there and was ready to bolt outside with a torch to see if it was there lol.....thanks anyway, any td5 owners out there who would know the nearest grounding point, would be appreciated.
Post #98995 9th Nov 2011 6:57pm
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
Just looked online at them and they draw 50amps Shocked find a good earth.
Post #98997 9th Nov 2011 7:07pm
coln18

Scotland 
Sonic3d wrote:
Just looked online at them and they draw 50amps Shocked find a good earth.

Yep, thats the problem, and they dont exactly give you 40ft of cable to route it to any old earth you want, thats why i was looking for one on the passanger side of the engine bay either bulkhead or that area.... Thumbs Up

Col
Post #99011 9th Nov 2011 8:15pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
As Sonic justifiably mentioned and being a sparky myself 50 amps is a fair whack and will generate a Censored load of heat if you're earth ain't good. Talking from Puma experience just because it 'looks good' doesn't mean it's fit for purpose! (Bit like women really! Laughing ) Either check the point your bolting to is in fact a good earth or extend/replace the cable to reach a known earth would be the prudent thing to do before switching on or your Heatshot may generate more heat than you wish it to!

This may or may not be of interest:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?s=42c961...opic=72303

Interesting quote from a Canadian Defender owner that experiences -40 degrees in Winter....

"We use washer fluid that....does not freeze..... Costs around 50 cents a liter. No need for complicated bits on the vehicle.

Every year we enjoy watching these same silly discussions from the UK about simple things that have been solved decades ago.... Someone could make a killing after they figure out how to mix methanol with water and sell it...."

Vodka Asda's cheapest brand normally works for me and if you get stranded and have a passenger that can push the stalk you can always drink it to keep warm! Thumbs Up Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #99063 10th Nov 2011 12:24am
coln18

Scotland 
getting conflicting advice on this one, on landyzone they are telling me any bolt in the bodywork will do, as 50amp is nothing for a current running through the size of bodywork on a landy, yet on here everyone is telling me to find a proper earth grounding point as 50 amps is a lot....mmmm could be a toss of a coin one this Whistle
Post #99174 10th Nov 2011 6:24pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
just bolt another long piece of cable on and bolt to engine mount etc.
Post #99176 10th Nov 2011 6:34pm
Lorryman100

K9F wrote:

Vodka Asda's cheapest brand normally works for me and if you get stranded and have a passenger that can push the stalk you can always drink it to keep warm! Thumbs Up Laughing

If you done that in Glasgow you would have the Jakey's chasing you up and down Sauchiehall street window licking your defender!!! Idea Hmmm I bottle of cheap vodka liberally sprinkled over manky Defender x one squad of Jakey's = One clean defender!!! And you would be spreading some christmas good spirit to the less fortunate as well....win win situation. Whistle Very Happy
Post #99181 10th Nov 2011 7:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
coln18

Scotland 
Lorryman100 wrote:
K9F wrote:

Vodka Asda's cheapest brand normally works for me and if you get stranded and have a passenger that can push the stalk you can always drink it to keep warm! Thumbs Up Laughing

If you done that in Glasgow you would have the Jakey's chasing you up and down Sauchiehall street window licking your defender!!! Idea Hmmm I bottle of cheap vodka liberally sprinkled over manky Defender x one squad of Jakey's = One clean defender!!! And you would be spreading some christmas good spirit to the less fortunate as well....win win situation. Whistle Very Happy

yeh but would the jakeys make a good earth grounding point for my heatshot unit, could i just bolt the lead on to there napper Rolling with laughter
Post #99210 10th Nov 2011 9:00pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
coln18 wrote:
getting conflicting advice on this one, on landyzone they are telling me any bolt in the bodywork will do, as 50amp is nothing for a current running through the size of bodywork on a landy, yet on here everyone is telling me to find a proper earth grounding point as 50 amps is a lot....mmmm could be a toss of a coin one this Whistle

So a sparky tells you you need a good earth but you seem to accept what's said on the forum for people who can't even string a sentence together and whose knuckles drag as they walk. Good luck with that.
Post #99222 10th Nov 2011 9:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>