↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > TD5 Remap
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
gav///m5

2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
I have a 2005 Td5 Defender 110 XS
I bought it used from a main dealer in June 2009 and resisted any form of tuning until I had made full use of the 12 month it came with
After waiting agonisingly for those 12 months to pass, during which time I had experienced 3rd gear 30mph towing our twin axle caravan over Bodmin on the A30 I set about finding more torque
Initially I opted for an EGR replacement kit and a decat pipe along with centre silencer removal and a high flow cotton air filter all from Ian of IRB Developments
All these set to really brighten up the feel of how quickly the engine revved and the engine produced more noise but what I really wanted was a remap
Ian new I had a heavy caravan and suggested a stage 2 remap which also required a replacement intercooler.
Luckily for me I have been able to fit all the "add-ons" myself and so once I had replaced the intercooler I drove to Ians unit where he ensured my engine was running healthily before erasing my old map and then uploading his stage 2
I also have a boost box fitted so as not to let the ecu see an overboost reading as could happen with the remap.
Ian took it for a spin with me in the passenger seat and OMG ! never before has a defender pushed me back into the seat under acceleration
The difference was and still is amazing !
I can overtake other vehicles, towing is a doddle, and without the caravan on a full tank (£90-ish) will always return a minimum of 400 miles - so no change from pre tuning work.
It has totally transformed the vehicle and this is absolutely for the better and I cannot recommend IRB enough
Gav
Post #75107 9th Jun 2011 9:44pm
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Tazz wrote:
party monkey wrote:
Well..... the cynic has been converted Smile

In light of Alive's offer, a good chat with Gary this afternoon to help address my concerns and the positive feedback from fellow Td5/Puma owners on here, I'm taking the plunge with Alive's half price remap offer. Thumbs Up

I'm just looking for better driveability, better fuel economy would be a bonus but without taking the engine too far towards its stress limits. An 'allrounder' remap if you like.

So what was the outcome?

Tazz

Tazz - sorry mate - I completely missed your post from last week..... I only noticed it when Gav posted above Smile

Overall, really chuffed. In addition to the remap, the EGR was removed/blanked off too (picture of the removed EGR in my gallery). So the combination of both has given me smooth power delivery across the rev range. 4th & 5th in particular gear uptake is brilliant compared to the norm. The engine also sounds smoother and is quieter. Overall, it's just more drivable. Just like all the other folks said it would be Thumbs Up

I don't really do any towing of any significance, so from what I can gather, I probably have the equivilent of a stage 1 remap, but I just told the Alive chaps what I wanted to achieve. Testing, I'd say was a good hour and a half out on the roads and I was able to give Gary immediate feedback on how it felt, whilst he was looking in the mirror for the dreaded black smoke. We'd then stop, he'd make a few adjustments and we'd be off again etc etc until we were both happy that I had the power delivery I wanted without competeing with the Humberside Oil refineries for smoke output .

BHP wise, I don't really care, but for the purposes of insurance, I told them 150, which is where about a stage 1 will take you, so I was told

MPG wise, whilst this wasn't a major motivator on the remap, I've probably gained about 1mpg and that's with a slightly heavier right foot too Thumbs Up

Overall, I didn't thrash her before the remap and I don't really do it now either. Knowing my concerns, Gary was 'gentle' with his map, so I'm totally chilled in this respect. It's just reassuring to know that there is a little bit of oomph available when you need it Thumbs Up ..... which mainly at the moment involves me baiting CORSA boy on the back roads in Bucks.

So a wholehearted thumbs up from me for the guys from Alive. Bow down

In the interests of fairness of course.... other Tuning companies are available but I haven't used them, so can't comment. Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #75122 9th Jun 2011 11:00pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
What happens re the EGR when it is MOT time, will the engine still be under the correct emissions limit or do you just re-activate the EGR for MOT's which is what some do I think Confused

I have to clean out the EGR on the SAAB regularly as it only does stop start motoring and the engine was designed in the dark ages. Wish I could blank it off altogether but don't think it would get through an MOT.
Post #75140 10th Jun 2011 7:49am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
EGR isn't required to pass the MOT emissions test for a diesel, it's only fitted to reduce emissions (NOx in particular) below the EU limits over the NEDC drive cycle so the vehicle can be sold.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #75144 10th Jun 2011 8:03am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Martin wrote:
EGR isn't required to pass the MOT emissions test for a diesel, it's only fitted to reduce emissions (NOx in particular) below the EU limits over the NEDC drive cycle so the vehicle can be sold.

Yep, it was something I checked with the Alive chaps before proceeding. To be on the safe side though, I've kept the EGR just in case something changes in the future on the MOT.

I'm a bit out of my knowledge depths here but I think , as you say Zag, the main tuning guys on here can do something clever with the ECU on the PUMAs, so that the EGR can remain in situ but just be switched off/bypassed ??? I'm guessing that's not possible on the td5s and the whole EGR kit is physically removed.... Sure somebody in the know can confirm. Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #75156 10th Jun 2011 8:38am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
party monkey wrote:
I'm a bit out of my knowledge depths here but I think , as you say Zag, the main tuning guys on here can do something clever with the ECU on the PUMAs, so that the EGR can remain in situ but just be switched off/bypassed ??? I'm guessing that's not possible on the td5s and the whole EGR kit is physically removed.... Sure somebody in the know can confirm.

The EGR on the Td5 is a mechanical device, not controlled by the ECU. On the Puma it is an electro-mechanical device controlled by the ECU.

BAS and others do a remap where they switch off the EGR and tell the ECU to ignore it. If you blanked off the Puma's EGR and did nothing to the ECU, you would get the Engine Malfunction Light on permanently. --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #75180 10th Jun 2011 11:54am
110ross

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Chawton White
I've got a stage 2 Alive tune and had concerns about MOT's without the egr.
Gary, rightly assured me that it was not a problem, and sure enough when MOT time came round the truck flew through the emissions part of the MOT.
In my experience, no problem whatsoever.

Ross.
Post #75228 10th Jun 2011 5:36pm
Alive Tuning

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Naks wrote:
The EGR on the Td5 is a mechanical device, not controlled by the ECU. On the Puma it is an electro-mechanical device controlled by the ECU.

The Td5 has an electronic modulator that controls the amount of vacuum applied to the diaphragm on the top of the EGR valve. The amount of Exhaust Gas to be reintroduced is determined by the engine management system, which gives an output to the modulator (or modulators on post 2A chassis models with the inlet throttle valve).
Post #75326 11th Jun 2011 9:13am
Landgirl

United Kingdom 
Had my Defender TD5 re mapped by Dynachip and I must say that the differance is AMAZING!
Your head is thrown back during acelaration. It is truly an "OMG" moment. and I only had a stage 1 remap.

Mike from Dynachip was amazing, I've had my TD5 for two years and to be honest I was disappoited with it. It was slugish, constantly changing down on hills, hated towing the boat, just sad really. There had to be something wrong altough 2 garages couldn't find anything apart from changing the fuel pump. which we did, TWICE, with no improvement!

So when I looked into remapping, I didn't fancy sending the ECU away (can't be without my car) and finding out that I was looking to spend £400 plus, I was a bit put off. Then I read about Dynachip on a forum.

Dynachip comes to you. Mike travels around the country and does an excellent job on your drive!

I rang him up and left a message, within 15 mins he had called me back and made an appointment. On the day Mike turned up at the correct time. Put a nanocomm on the car, then a main Landrover computer and within 15mins diagnosed my problem, turned out to be the mass air switch. He disconnected it, srtaight away there was a change in the vehicle. Then he re-mapped it. The change was awsome, Now the car is a pleasure to drive, I have since replaced the faulty part.

The fuel economy is better cos I'm not flooring it all the time just to do a normal speed. The power is there to drive like a normal car, no over reving, no changing down on hills I can drop down to 30mph and still stay in 5th! There is always more power, it 's a differant vehicle.

I would totally recommend Dynachip and at a cost of £225.00 (no vat) it was money VERY WELL SPENT!
Post #80746 18th Jul 2011 9:42am
Yorkshire90

United Kingdom 
The only 2 tuners I'd let/have let touch my TD5 (sounds a bit creepy Laughing ) are Bell Auto Services and IRB Developments. Mindblowing cumulative wealth of knowledge of the TD5 engine and more...
Post #90715 22nd Sep 2011 11:17pm
tolley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
map
is it still half price Whistle
Post #98828 8th Nov 2011 8:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123