↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > EGR removal kit, which one to get?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
hugh_b

EGR removal kit, which one to get?
Hi everyone, looking at purchasing a td5 egr removal kit as i hear it's a worthwhile modification for several reasons.

The question is, which one to get? They seem to range from £25 to £50ish.

Hugh
Post #62428 5th Mar 2011 11:11pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Hello Hugh

The one for my 90 came from IRB, the one i fitted to my wifes Disco2 at the time was from TD5 Alive. Well worth changing the airfilter for a performance version and replacing the mid exhaust pipe for a straight through as you will notice the better acceration.

My 90 also has the cat removed as well

If you get one i would say go with a well known name and not a cheapy from ebay

Good luck.

Mark
Post #62430 5th Mar 2011 11:44pm
Paul_1978

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
I purchased the Alli Sport EGR valve removal kit, well made and simple to fit. Cost around £45.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AlliSport-Land-Rover...4cf21c9765

Only additional bits you need to whats in the kit are,

Exhaust sealent (about £2 from car spares shop)
and allen keys and a 8mm socket.

Takes around an hour to remove and refit.
Post #62437 6th Mar 2011 9:13am
jwhat

Ireland 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
I used the one from IRB, very easy to fit.
Post #62469 6th Mar 2011 12:21pm
Alive Tuning

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Our EGR body replacements are made from aluminium, and use a 10mm thick baseplate, so as to prevent the bolts from bottoming out in the inlet manifold, like the ebay listed items do. Shocked No need for any kind of gasket sealer, as we supply a genuine LR gasket, and new fixing bolts too.

The blanks are made from 6mm thick mild steel, which are laser etched with our logo, and are then silver zinc coated.

Note the blanks are not zinc coated in these photo's Embarassed , but otherwise they are the same. Wink

Download the fitting instructions from our website, here: http://www.td5alive.com/docs/EGR%20bypass%20kit.pdf
Post #62568 7th Mar 2011 12:37am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I got one of them !!!
Fitted a treat.....then I got an exhaust off them, then 'blagged' a baseball cap at a show Very Happy
Post #62798 8th Mar 2011 6:26pm
wobble_hd

Alive Tuning wrote:
Our EGR body replacements are made from aluminium, and use a 10mm thick baseplate, so as to prevent the bolts from bottoming out in the inlet manifold, like the ebay listed items do. Shocked No need for any kind of gasket sealer, as we supply a genuine LR gasket, and new fixing bolts too.

The blanks are made from 6mm thick mild steel, which are laser etched with our logo, and are then silver zinc coated.

Note the blanks are not zinc coated in these photo's Embarassed , but otherwise they are the same. Wink

Download the fitting instructions from our website, here: http://www.td5alive.com/docs/EGR%20bypass%20kit.pdf

Hello
I purchased and fitted this kit to my 2003 110.
I havent found and of course I didnt disconnect the 2 electronic modulators.
Could you please explain a bit further where they are and what can go wrong if I dont disconnect those?
Regards
A Newbie.....
Post #62890 9th Mar 2011 9:25am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I used a Devon 4x4 kit on my Disco, very pleased with it.

I suspect that they are now all much the same and it doesn't really matter which you choose.
Post #62899 9th Mar 2011 10:16am
Alive Tuning

blackwolf wrote:

I suspect that they are now all much the same and it doesn't really matter which you choose.

The Devon kits are made from stainless steel, and have the very thin baseplate. Exclamation (See above posts)

@wobble_hd - Download the EGR kit instructions off my website (linked in my previous post, above)
At the bottom of page 3, you'll see a picture of the EGR modulator on an early model Td5 Defender. Yours is the same as this, but has two modulators, rather than one.

Simply disconnect the electrical connectors from these modulators, and thats job done!

By leaving the electrical connectors plugged in, it is allowing the engine management to modulate vacuum to the vac hoses (which used to connect to the EGR valve on the inlet manifold), which in turn would allow the ingress of dirt/dust into the vac pump, which could potentially result in long term damage. This is why I suggest simply plugging the vac pipes with a self tapping screw, and taping the ends up.
Post #62915 9th Mar 2011 11:44am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wobble_hd

Alive Tuning wrote:
blackwolf wrote:

The Devon kits are made from stainless steel, and have the very thin baseplate. Exclamation (See above posts)

@wobble_hd - Download the EGR kit instructions off my website (linked in my previous post, above)
At the bottom of page 3, you'll see a picture of the EGR modulator on an early model Td5 Defender. Yours is the same as this, but has two modulators, rather than one.

Simply disconnect the electrical connectors from these modulators, and thats job done!

By leaving the electrical connectors plugged in, it is allowing the engine management to modulate vacuum to the vac hoses (which used to connect to the EGR valve on the inlet manifold), which in turn would allow the ingress of dirt/dust into the vac pump, which could potentially result in long term damage. This is why I suggest simply plugging the vac pipes with a self tapping screw, and taping the ends up.

Thank You!
I'll try that when I get home!
EGR removed and I also installed DeCat and mid silencer replacement pipe from TD5 Alive! I allready had the ITG filter and the transformation is GREAT! Barking Great! Very Happy
Now I just need to order the TD5 Alive remap that one uses with Nanocom! I really look forward to that!
Is there a discount for forum members?
M
Post #62931 9th Mar 2011 1:47pm
Alive Tuning

wobble_hd wrote:
Is there a discount for forum members?
M

Ooooooh yes! Very Happy
Post #62990 9th Mar 2011 8:31pm
hugh_b

Thanks for the reply's guy's.

I've had a good look around and it seems that the IRB kit differs slightly to the td5 alive kit.

I have a 2002 defender with heat exchanger and 2 solenoids just below the bonnet. I've read that i can remove these with the irb kit but not sure about the td5 alive kit? Ideally i would like to take all that out rather than have random pipes bunged with screws if possible?

Hugh
Post #63157 10th Mar 2011 7:11pm
Alive Tuning

hugh_b wrote:
I have a 2002 defender with heat exchanger and 2 solenoids just below the bonnet. I've read that i can remove these with the irb kit but not sure about the td5 alive kit? Ideally i would like to take all that out rather than have random pipes bunged with screws if possible?

They're not random pipes bunged with screws! Rolling Eyes The only reason I suggested that, is to keep the pipes clean, internally. Since they are electronically isolated, they will never see a vacuum anyway.

Idea If you look on the last page of my fitting instructions, you'll see the following passage regarding the brake servo pipes, which are available directly from any land rover dealer:

Quote:
Should you wish, you can remove the EGR electronic modulator assembly completely, but you MUST fit a new ‘vac pump to brake servo’ pipe, which has no ‘tee’. These were fitted to Rest of World spec vehicles which never had EGR, and are available from land rover dealers. The part numbers are ANR6916 (RHD) or SQB103360 (LHD). This conversion should only be performed by a competent person, as poor fitting could potentially lead to a loss of brakes!

Exclamation Note the last sentence, regarding fitment by a competent person.

I took great care when I wrote these fitting instructions (almost 6 years ago!), so that every detail is covered, making for easy, trouble free installation by almost any person, with or without technical experiance. It had to be a 'dummys guide' as you cannot assume everyone has a good level of technical knowledge.

With my guide, there is nothing at all to go wrong, that has the potential to cause harm. Replacing the servo pipe is pretty simple, but it only takes one person, who hasn't got the right tools, or forgets to do something, and the next thing you know, your brake pedal is rock hard! Exclamation

Alive Tuning sell around 50-75 Td5 EGR bypass kits every month, and not one has caused a problem.

Not sure about something, and need support? There's someone at the end of the phone from 9am until 5pm, Monday to Friday. Weekend support, just call me on my mobile, or drop me an email. Wink
Post #63188 10th Mar 2011 8:31pm
hugh_b

Thanks for the reply. I didn't mean for my post to come across like that so apologies if it did. Embarassed

I'll be in contact tomorrow.

Thanks again

Hugh
Post #63221 10th Mar 2011 11:16pm
wobble_hd

I have seen both IRB and the TD5Alive kit and I couldnt see the difference!
Post #63226 10th Mar 2011 11:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>