↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Developing transmission rumble and vibration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
Okan

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hi Redline!

I just removed the rear propshaft for a short trip with locked diff. So no more vibrations except the noise of the handbrake drum. But the vibration has disapear so The probem comes well from the rear propshaft. Maybe the balance because all UJ are in perfect condition.

There is no arrow tradmarks on the terrafirma propshaft so it's hard to say the correct way to assemble it.

what do you think about the picture?

Best regards

Post #578914 19th Nov 2016 11:38am
Rickydodah

From looking at the picture the UJ's are in phase with one another which on the Puma is not correct AFAIR. I'd be inclined to remove the sliding joint end and move it one spline out of phase and try it. I can't remember if the front UJ leads or trails the rear so you could try turning it one spline in the opposite direction if it is no better. The stock shaft has a raised dimple on the yoke of the sliding end which lines up with a mark under the rubber boot. Confused I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #579021 19th Nov 2016 7:46pm
redline

Switzerland 
Okan, that's a positive result - at least you isolated the problem! Did you assemble the shaft yourself (ie slide the two halves together) or did it come like that from Terrafirma?

I would do as Rickydodah suggests, as I've heard from others that even altering the phase by one spline can have an effect on "cancelling" the cyclic acceleration / deceleration that causes the vibration. That said, from the photo, your shaft phasing looks exactly like mine (the yokes are aligned) ... and I have no vibration Confused
Post #579031 19th Nov 2016 8:10pm
redline

Switzerland 
Okan,

Whilst the driveshaft is off, can you measure the angles of the TC output flange and the Differential input flange? Also measure the distance between the two flanges centre-line to centre-line. Finally the horizontal distance between the two flanges OR the driveshft angle when installed.

That will give us all the info to understand the problem exactly.
Post #579042 19th Nov 2016 8:46pm
Okan

Hi!

The first time I received it from terrafirma it was aligned. But I tried two sides. First side is like on the picture and second side is 180 degree at the opposite side. The two options didn't supress the vibration. I'm a bit disapointed with it. I m pretty sure that this propshaft is not balanced like the stock land rover propshaft. The yokes should be aligned but maybe the propshaft itself wasn't correctly balanced.

What do.you think?
Post #579044 19th Nov 2016 8:53pm
redline

Switzerland 
Just checked and for a stock 110 the rear driveshaft should be in-phase. As yours is lifted you will probably need to be 1 or 2 splines out of phase, but not sure if leading or lagging...

Click image to enlarge
Post #579048 19th Nov 2016 9:03pm
redline

Switzerland 
Okan, the driveshaft will normally be sold in-phase and dynamically balanced in that position.

I am quite sure that because your vehicle is lifted, the angles are slightly out, causing the vibration. This is also consistent with the issue being worse when going up-hill as the rear diff will rotate slightly due to weight transfer. Changing the phase will *compensate* for the vibration slightly.

In summary I doubt its a driveshaft preblem per-se, rather that it needs to be set-up specifically for your vehicle. NOTE that if you do change the phasing, it will likely affect the balance. It may not be perceptible, but to be precise, once you've determined the ideal phasing, then you should get it dynamically balanced.
Post #579060 19th Nov 2016 9:24pm
Okan

I m not sure to understand because my front terrafirma double card has aligned yokes and it works without any vibrations when I remove the rear propshaft. What does it means? Should I put the rear out of phase to find a good driveline without any vibrations?

Regards
Post #579061 19th Nov 2016 9:26pm
redline

Switzerland 
Okan - the short answer is that a DC will always be in phase. A normal drive shaft will always be in phase if angles are the same front and rear. The ONLY reason for being out of phase is if the angles are not equal (possible on the rear of a lifted vehicle).

So I would at least check the flange angles. If they are not co-planar then changing the phasing will most likely help reduce the vibration, but you will have to experiment (for 16 spline slip joint, 1 spline = 22.5 degrees) so either 1 or 2 splines I think.
Post #579067 19th Nov 2016 9:44pm
Rickydodah

Just had a quick look under mine which is at stock height and it is definitely out of phase by about 20 deg. Thumbs Up I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #579070 19th Nov 2016 9:58pm
redline

Switzerland 
Rickydodah: That's the rear driveshaft right? Can you tell if the rear UJ is leading or lagging with respect to the front? I will have a closer look at mine tomorrow morning, but am fairly sure that its in-phase. Weird...!
Post #579072 19th Nov 2016 10:05pm
Rickydodah

Definitely the rear, I'll have a look in the morning as we're in the middle of storm Angus at the moment Big Cry I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #579086 19th Nov 2016 10:43pm
Okan

redline wrote:
Okan - the short answer is that a DC will always be in phase. A normal drive shaft will always be in phase if angles are the same front and rear. The ONLY reason for being out of phase is if the angles are not equal (possible on the rear of a lifted vehicle).

I understand but why stock rear land rover propshats are out of phase? Stock land rover doesn't have lift.

So I would at least check the flange angles. If they are not co-planar then changing the phasing will most likely help reduce the vibration, but you will have to experiment (for 16 spline slip joint, 1 spline = 22.5 degrees) so either 1 or 2 splines I think.

I will try it tomorrow but how to know in which direction to remove the yokes to going out of phase? Right or left? And from which departure point?

Best regards
Post #579102 20th Nov 2016 12:02am
redline

Switzerland 
First thing: mark the in-phase as it is now! That is your reference point that you can always go back to in-phase at which the shaft was balanced.

Regarding the direction: I don't know, and honestly I don't know if it makes a difference. If Rickydodah posts how his is set-up (clockwise or anticlockwise) then I would try that... Otherwise you have to pick a direction and try it. If it doesn't work, then try the other direction.

As a short cut, as your rear lift is quite large, I would maybe start directly +/- 2 splines.

Goodluck!!!
Post #579106 20th Nov 2016 12:12am
Okan

Hi!

The problem is that the first time I disaseembled the shaft I didn't have any experience with it and I didn't mark the in phase position like it was first. Confused

So I'm pretty sure it was in phase but it makes allready 4 possibility. Because if you see well, when the yokes are in phase so aligned they are in fact one spline left or one splin right. It' not realy in the middle. So the "phase" initial side was maybe one spline left or one splin right or maybe the same at 180 degrees.

In fact I'm afraid that the only solution is to try every splin now...That's horrible Shocked

best regards
Post #579133 20th Nov 2016 9:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>