↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Installing tweeters in dashboard 2010 defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
TC

United Kingdom 
lrmaniac wrote:
Fitted a pair of tweeters (Hertz - cost me 30), conected them from the speakers and fitted with hot glue under the existing lid - can't see that they're there. and the improvement in the sound is huge!

Next step, subwoofer and rear speakers!

I found once I fitted the sub that there was no need to put speakers in the rear. This thing http://www.inphaseaudio.co.uk/products/enc...fer/usw10/ is excellent Thumbs Up

it will make your tweeter enhancement sound trivial - complete transformation. You will though need to spend time dealing with the mounting, it causes a fair amount of vibration. If you mount onto a solid surface, I suggest putting some sort of adhesive gasket between the base of the sub and the surface to damp the vibration - this worked a treat for me.
Post #51605 7th Jan 2011 6:24pm
Markh

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
TC wrote:
lrmaniac wrote:
Fitted a pair of tweeters (Hertz - cost me 30), conected them from the speakers and fitted with hot glue under the existing lid - can't see that they're there. and the improvement in the sound is huge!

I found once I fitted the sub that there was no need to put speakers in the rear. This thing http://www.inphaseaudio.co.uk/products/enc...fer/usw10/ is excellent Thumbs Up

it will make your tweeter enhancement sound trivial - complete transformation. You will though need to spend time dealing with the mounting, it causes a fair amount of vibration. If you mount onto a solid surface, I suggest putting some sort of adhesive gasket between the base of the sub and the surface to damp the vibration - this worked a treat for me.

TC, I'm looking at this subwoofer, seems to get alot of good comments around the place

How easy is it to fit? Does it require a separate power supply, if so how did you get one to it? Could you take an audio feed direct from your head unit (I think I have a separate subwoofer feed off my JVC) or do you drive it through an amplifier?

Any thought would be appreciated plus any pictures??

thanks

Mark "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didnt do than by the things you did..."
Post #51682 8th Jan 2011 10:16am
lrmaniac

Portugal 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
TC wrote:

Do you have pics ? Whre did you fit it ? Did you fit an amplifier or it is not needed ?

And can I buy it online ? Here it does not exist in any store ... checked today .... Mr. Green Regards
Joao

'10 Land Rover Defender 110 CC
'08 BMW F800GS
'64 SIIA Forward Control
'69 SIIA 109 ZA CKD
Post #52086 9th Jan 2011 10:42pm
Alexke

Belgium 
I Also did an upgrade :

it had the original 6 Speaker system from LR
just bought a Pioneer Subwoofer and housing , Pioneer amp
did wiring without drilling!

sound is great !

but planning on doing an upgrade:

new front and rears mid speakers from Pioneer and stealthy
tweeters also , but i don like anything other than oem look so probably oem again...

Head Unit : First i wanted an pop-out LCD from pioneer :bluetooth, AV in , DVD , GPS and rear camera.
but @ 1250 euros thats just too much for it , and its an incredibly risk for theft.

So I am searching for a good 1DIN radio with Bluetooth .

amps and sub : might keep them . But the SUB isnt looking so good anymore. Because all my junk is in the rear Very Happy

I will try to take pics Discovery 4 SDV6 Landmark
F31 320dA Msport xDrive
LR Defender 90SW TD4 Stornoway grey
320d E46
E70 X5 3.0d Sold!
FFRR TD6 - Sold
Post #52092 9th Jan 2011 11:09pm
TC

United Kingdom 
Markh wrote:
TC wrote:
lrmaniac wrote:

TC, I'm looking at this subwoofer, seems to get alot of good comments around the place

How easy is it to fit? Does it require a separate power supply, if so how did you get one to it? Could you take an audio feed direct from your head unit (I think I have a separate subwoofer feed off my JVC) or do you drive it through an amplifier?

Any thought would be appreciated plus any pictures??

thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

The sub is easy to fit. It needs to be wired direct to the battery and comes with a sufficiently rated (and fused) cable. The subwoofer is powered so needs no external amplification and you have two wiring options sound wise, either direct sub line out from the head unit (your head unit will need to support this) or wiring directly from the headunit speaker outputs, (loom supplied) - nb, wiring from a head unit line out will require a single phono cable (not supplied).

In terms of mounting, my first position was direct to the bulk head (two self tappers supplied with mounting brackets. This generated a lot of unwanted vibration in the rear screen so I moved it to the under side of the second row seats (mine is a double cab), this reduced, but did not eliminate the vibration. I cured the vibration by removing the sub and putting a make shift gasket in place made from sticky style draft excluder, this cured it.

One key advantage with this sub is that it comes supplied with a remote (wired) commander; this allows you to mount the sub, set a nominal volume on the unit and then fine tune volume when everything is in situ. The sound generated is a lot bigger than the unit suggests it will be. Be warned though, this one transform your system into a high end window expanding effort, it will simply fill out the dismal factory effort. If you want big and lound, you will need to pay more and buy a Citreon Saxo Very Happy

Installation tip: The power cable's mounting ring didn't fit the TD5's positive battery terminal. Not sure if the same issue exists on the Puma. The correct thing to do would be to cut the terminal off the leed and fit a correctly sized affair; I didn't! I put the end of the cable in my workshop vice and drilled it out to fit.

NB - make sure you follow the handbook / workshop manual for instructions on disconnecting the battery. I will not be held accountable if you blow yourself up Very Happy Shocked

If you are in the UK and buying this sub, go through Amazon. The seller gives good service, I had a slowed delivery due to the weather before Christmas, they kept me up to date throughout and were very responsive - and the Sub was 20 cheaper than advertised anywhere else!
Post #52221 10th Jan 2011 7:26pm
Markh

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Many thanks TC, great comments ... mine due soon, will let you know how I get on! "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didnt do than by the things you did..."
Post #52267 10th Jan 2011 9:45pm
TC

United Kingdom 
Markh wrote:
Many thanks TC, great comments ... mine due soon, will let you know how I get on!

Given yours is an SW Mark, I would invest in an amp and a pair of 6x9's fitted at the rear door as well. It may appear excessive but consider that the HK set up in a D3 has 13 odd speaker!

A 110SW is a big space to fill.
Post #52270 10th Jan 2011 9:56pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Can anyone kindly tell me the size of the original LR tweeters? 1" I will say at a guess. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #186634 20th Nov 2012 5:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12