↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma Rear diff noises
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Marius

South Africa 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Perhaps people who have experienced similar problems can all post their specific problem and how it was solved.
This way we can sort of build a library of casue, effects and solutions to future puma problem solvers.

My problems:

1. I get that rattle when free wheeling in neutral to a standstill. (This was not covered explicidly in this thread up to now). Possible causes I have gathered from others to be something wrong with Universal joints or something to do with the handbrake drum. ie transmition brake sticking?

2. I have the clunk in the rear of the drivetrain when shifting. (talked about allot in this thread). This it seems is most likely the rear diff or loosely fitted flanges on the rear prop shaft.

Can anyone expand on this?
Post #49522 23rd Dec 2010 10:44am
Marius

Had a drive in a 90 yesterday.....NO noises. Also noted that perhaps these are due to clucth issues and not diff issues. When you drive and engage/disengage clucth without changing gears there is no noises due to roughly the same revs on prop side/gearbox side. THis to me suggest either clucth or syncro on gearbox issues. the diff noises are poccibly only a symtom due to the faulty clutch. Going in on thursday for a look.
Post #50989 4th Jan 2011 1:18pm
carlaac

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Marius

This might be obvious but have you shifted the transfer box whilst moving? If so run in low come to standstill clutch, neutral, clutch, high, roll on gently might reset the transfer gearbox wind-up. I had a heavy knocking after a spin in low-range this sorted it and transmission and diffs now silent again.

Good luck, all this talk of replacement diffs is scaring me, only done 3k in mine and when it started knocking I though "here we go.." Above sorted it though
Post #51105 4th Jan 2011 11:20pm
Marius

carlaac wrote:
Marius

This might be obvious but have you shifted the transfer box whilst moving? If so run in low come to standstill clutch, neutral, clutch, high, roll on gently might reset the transfer gearbox wind-up. I had a heavy knocking after a spin in low-range this sorted it and transmission and diffs now silent again.

Good luck, all this talk of replacement diffs is scaring me, only done 3k in mine and when it started knocking I though "here we go.." Above sorted it though

I'm not understanding you entirely. So I run run in low range and come to a standstill in gear with clucth depressed. Now I change to neutral and then change to high range and start going off gently?
Post #51125 5th Jan 2011 7:53am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
carlaac wrote:

I do that at least once a week just to work the box & linkages, no effect on the drivetrain backlash.
Post #51126 5th Jan 2011 8:14am
Naks

Marius wrote:
Had a drive in a 90 yesterday.....NO noises. Also noted that perhaps these are due to clucth issues and not diff issues. When you drive and engage/disengage clucth without changing gears there is no noises due to roughly the same revs on prop side/gearbox side. THis to me suggest either clucth or syncro on gearbox issues. the diff noises are poccibly only a symtom due to the faulty clutch. Going in on thursday for a look.

That's funny. Confused

I went to N1 City on Tuesday and had the senior technical guy drive my landy. His first comment was 'this is one of the smoothest Pumas I have driven' - which totally bowled me over.

I then drove a brand new 90, and guess what? It made the same noises that mine did - gearbox clunking going in & out of 3rd, drivetrain backlash, etc.

So I guess this is a standard feature on mine and must just learn to shift more smoothly.
Post #51128 5th Jan 2011 8:21am
Marius

Naks wrote:
Marius wrote:

That's funny. Confused

I went to N1 City on Tuesday and had the senior technical guy drive my landy. His first comment was 'this is one of the smoothest Pumas I have driven' - which totally bowled me over.

I then drove a brand new 90, and guess what? It made the same noises that mine did - gearbox clunking going in & out of 3rd, drivetrain backlash, etc.

So I guess this is a standard feature on mine and must just learn to shift more smoothly.

NO WAY Naks. I drove a friends 90 Puma 2 days ago with absolutely NO noises. shifted like a toyota camry!
Post #51129 5th Jan 2011 8:27am
Naks

Marius wrote:
NO WAY Naks. I drove a friends 90 Puma 2 days ago with absolutely NO noises. shifted like a toyota camry!

Shocked

now what do I do?

I'm in 2 minds about taking it to LR Stellenbosch, 'cos their foreman drove my landy and said he also feels there's too much clunking in the gearbox.

But the last time I used them with my 110 Td5, they replaced a gearbox unnecessarily (when the problem was a propshaft) and forgot to put the gearbox cowling back, so not too happy about that. Confused
Post #51130 5th Jan 2011 8:31am
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
mates 2 month old 90 needs a new rear dif, guess what on back order 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #51135 5th Jan 2011 9:31am
Marius

carlaac wrote:
Marius

HORAAAAA!!!!! Razz This actually in the end sorted out my problem!!!!!!!! Thanks!!!!
Post #51315 6th Jan 2011 10:31am
Naks

Marius wrote:
HORAAAAA!!!!! Razz This actually in the end sorted out my problem!!!!!!!! Thanks!!!!

u suck! but only because this has not solved mine Laughing

Going in for its first service in 2 weeks' time at LR Stellenbosch. At least the foreman there did concede the gearbox had an unusual clunk, so let's hope they sort it out.

I'll try the low-high trick again tomorrow and see.
Post #51318 6th Jan 2011 10:47am
BruceT

South Africa 
I had the clunk and after spending the last 4 days and 500 odd kms off road, towing a heavy off road caravan in mostly HR3 and sometime LR1. I have noticed no more clunk since getting back onto the road and "normal" gears. Wondered what had happened.
Post #51328 6th Jan 2011 11:38am
Naks

BruceT wrote:
I had the clunk and after spending the last 4 days and 500 odd kms off road, towing a heavy off road caravan in mostly HR3 and sometime LR1. I have noticed no more clunk since getting back onto the road and "normal" gears. Wondered what had happened.

Odd... maybe I should skip work tomorrow and go to Atlantis Dunes Whistle
Post #51331 6th Jan 2011 11:56am
BruceT

South Africa 
yes just do it Naks...... Laughing
Post #51332 6th Jan 2011 12:08pm
Marius

Seems the clunk in allot of cases is transmition windup.....or possibly the inability to wind it down....
I still have the clunk if I shift like a lunitick. If I just take care to shift well the noise is 100% gone! I am so relieved. I was starting to develop trust issues with my new steed.
Post #51509 7th Jan 2011 8:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>