steve E

Wales 
A frippery it is I tell you Rolling with laughter

I shall be using that for a while Thumbs Up
Post #500000 3rd Feb 2016 6:32pm
Walmsleys

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Quote:
can someone explain to me where the pros and cons are as I don't see how mixed race would be deemed preferable to half cast?

I believe that caste (note the spelling) relates to social standing or status, rather than ethnicity. The caste system in the sub-continent still exists in some areas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caste_system_in_India

Does that help? TBH, as you're a former teacher, I thought you'd know more about these things... 2015 Urban Truck 90XS in Havana

(previously 2013 D4 XS in Fuji White)
(previously 2011 D4 XS in Stornaway Grey, auto, black leather, reversing camera and removable tow bar)
(previously 2011 Freelander 2, blue (Mrs B's)
(previously 2007 TDV6 D3 SE Zermatt Silver, auto, black leather, an Uncle Ray plate and AT2s)
(previously 2001 Freelander One, blue)
(previously 1967 Series 2, Green)
Post #500002 3rd Feb 2016 6:37pm
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
If you want to see the caste system in action try working in the Middle East with its masses of migrant workers from Indian sub continent with a rife caste system that is simply hateful and evil. Although I support the op as I also hate tea out of paper cups, I totally disagree with those who knock Britain all the time, we are rich enough and mature enough to be a compassionate nation. There are a few on this forum who really could do with getting their passports out and travelling a bit (I don't mean sun sea and s*x travelling) try taking a look at how many of the worlds population live, just think for one minute how bad life must be to bundle your whole family into an inflatable dingy and cross the med.
rant over 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #500024 3rd Feb 2016 7:12pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Supacat wrote:
gabe3105 wrote:
I would think that for all the people having to work until 67 due to a "life choice" there are an equal number who have no choice but to work until 67, primarily because they have had lower paid jobs and therefore any take home pay had to be prioritised to putting food on the table, paying rent/mortgage, bills etc without any chance of being able to squirrel sufficient away to end up with a healthy personal pension pot by 55-60.
Thumbs Up

That might be true but wouldn't expect to find them on a site dedicated to an expensive frippery like the Defender Thumbs Up

I'm also amazed at how some youngsters today think essentials include £35 per month for a phone and £50 a month for a TV package...

I wouldn't call myself a youngster Laughing Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #500026 3rd Feb 2016 7:19pm
Walmsleys

Well said, RFT. 2015 Urban Truck 90XS in Havana

(previously 2011 D4 XS in Stornaway Grey, auto, black leather, reversing camera and removable tow bar)
(previously 2007 TDV6 D3 SE Zermatt Silver, auto, black leather, an Uncle Ray plate and AT2s)
Post #500034 3rd Feb 2016 7:38pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
RFT makes a lot of sense. This thread should be in miserable old git section or just not on a Defender forum. We have enough to worry about as it is. I have now done the most miles in any of my defenders and can't buy a new one.
Post #500042 3rd Feb 2016 8:04pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
RFT wrote:
If you want to see the caste system in action try working in the Middle East with its masses of migrant workers from Indian sub continent with a rife caste system that is simply hateful and evil. Although I support the op as I also hate tea out of paper cups, I totally disagree with those who knock Britain all the time, we are rich enough and mature enough to be a compassionate nation. There are a few on this forum who really could do with getting their passports out and travelling a bit (I don't mean sun sea and s*x travelling) try taking a look at how many of the worlds population live, just think for one minute how bad life must be to bundle your whole family into an inflatable dingy and cross the med.
rant over

The caste system is still very active in the Indian sub continent, however in the Middle East it will be compounded by many other factors. Apart from race, there are also racial, cultural, religious, skin colour, educational factors operating. For instance, Middle East largely Moslem, India largely Hindu, many Indian labourers come from south India and they are often a darker colour, many Indian labourers are illiterate etc.

In India it is 'interesting' watching a cafe owner 'pay' the cleaner. Cafe owner of the Brahmins (priest caste) pay the Untouchable cleaner. The rice was scrapped out of the cook pot onto the banana leaf but all at a distance without contact. The Indian government are doing positive discrimination by helping lower caste to go to universities by putting quotas in place. This means students from higher castes with better qualifications get denied places due to the quota system which caused tensions.

India and cups of tea whilst travelling used to be served in a clay pot which was smashed after first use by the customer. Creates lots of employment and very hygienic!

As for people travelling, people should expand their horizons and experiences forget sun, sea, sex type travelling, forget the chain hotels, find the local owned hotels/b&bs eat the street food, try and visit local markets/children homes etc with wide open eyes.

Brendan
Post #500046 3rd Feb 2016 8:23pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Re the caste system i've certainly learnt something today - thank you.

Re: witnessing it i've no interest whether it's right or wrong?

So far as i'm concerned it has nothing to do with me pretty much as Sadam and his regime had nothing to do with me but some bright spark thought they could pop ever there take him out and live happily ever after. Didn't quite work did it.

In my narrow minded deluded little world there seems to be a lot of bright sparks out there trying to do good but seem to be messing things up on the grand scale?

Right or wrong different parts of the world have different ideas and may be God put water in the way of these different areas / continents for a good reason - to stop other people interfering. We've all seen is happened to the defender thanks to the bright sparks at the EU. Yep going going gone down the pan. Cow
Post #500049 3rd Feb 2016 8:25pm
Orangesofa

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
RFT wrote:
Although I support the op as I also hate tea out of paper cups, I totally disagree with those who knock Britain all the time, we are rich enough and mature enough to be a compassionate nation. There are a few on this forum who really could do with getting their passports out and travelling a bit (I don't mean sun sea and s*x travelling) try taking a look at how many of the worlds population live, just think for one minute how bad life must be to bundle your whole family into an inflatable dingy and cross the med.
rant over

Ah-men to that! Phil
Post #500052 3rd Feb 2016 8:30pm
Caterham

The unfortunate thing is Brendan there seems to be less need to travel these days which is a real shame.

Take all your different restaurants for example doing everything from pizza to poppadoms. Kebabs to king prawns.

The mention of paying the low ranks in India with left over rice reminds me of a Chinese restaurant I visited in Birmingham where the cook or kitchen hand was living next to the kitchen in the basement on an old hammock?

Some might like the idea of having it all here on the door step but I don't. In the same way why would I want to go to Spain to have a s.s.s. Type holiday. A bit like going to dubai and eating at Mcdonald 's?

Everyone to their own I guess.
Post #500056 3rd Feb 2016 8:38pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Less need to travel?

So WRONG!

Just because there are many different types of restaurants in the UK does not mean that they are authentic. Local food is very different to what is served up in the UK restaurants.

The trouble is that a lot of people do not either travel or travel with an open mind and open senses. All the senses, the smell of a local market or even an open sewer, hearing be the quietness of a desert except for sand particles moving over each other or the rush hour traffic in Calcutta, the taste of a crocodile steak or fried locust,, the sight of a large waterfall or a crippled blind beggar.

Travel with an open mind tends also to broaden the mind with the experiences.

Highly recommended, travel off the beaten track Thumbs Up

Brendan
Post #500083 3rd Feb 2016 9:42pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
gilarion wrote:
As much as I love this country it’s become a joke.
Unless you have a good private pension you have to work until you’re 67 and I am sure that age will increase and then you will probably have to beg for your Pension if they still have the money that is.
Homeless British people on the street while those from abroad get a Housing association Flat or house after being here a short while.
Our Government doesn’t care what we think or want.
They let the Banks mess up the finances and then use our money to bail them out! Then sell off our shares we own at a 1 Billion loss! (RBS) Evil or Very Mad
Give foreign aid to counties who do not need it and leave UK charities to ask us for money to help the people the Government should be helping.
We have hardly any Industry left and have to buy in most things.
The UK is fast becoming a foreign skiver’s paradise and our community spirit is all but dead… The mentality of those with money who live here is ‘I’m alright; sod the poor, elderly and less fortunate!’

Bring back the caring society of the past….

This man speaks the truth,..except for "The Banks"...Ours are pretty strong, & "held up Aussie" during the GFC. Of course there are those who go on & on about Banks "ripping us off", which as far as I've seen means, "we want everything for nothing",.....which ain't gonna happen.
Anyway, welcome to my World, "Downunder" & I'm glad you've raised many issues that I see down here.
I could go on & on, but I tell you what, we're being done over by Lefties & Do-Gooders. I recognize how lucky I am to live in Aus, & you guys the same in the U.K. But there are those who take it all for granted,..think they should have what I worked 40 years for, NOW,...don't wanna do the hard stuff, go without etc.
Anyway mate, I pretty much am with you.
As a well known Aussie politician once said, "Life wasn't meant to be easy".
Pickles.
Post #500086 3rd Feb 2016 10:06pm
pjw4233

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Also horrified at the falling of British standards.

Next time I'm in Waitrose, I'll be taking a proper China cup and saucer with me to decant my coffee into.
Post #500106 3rd Feb 2016 10:31pm
Caterham

I understand the Telegraph are now being sued for referring to the cups and plates as 'China'. something to do with discrimination?

I believe the correct term is 'Porcelain' !

Whatever next Crying or Very sad
Post #500201 4th Feb 2016 8:40am
Walmsleys

Quote:
our community spirit is all but dead

Really? It certainly wasn't here in Lancashire when the recent floods hit, nor was it in Cumbria for the same reason.

Rarely, does positive news get reported, but everyday there are acts of neighbourly kindness that we all experience but somehow they don't count. Similarly, people like to berate our NHS, but most people who've used the system are full of praise for it.

As for the lack of need to travel because there's a kebab house and an Indian nearby, I'm almost lost for words. Step outside the box, live a lttle and think for a while of what we've got in the country that millions of others envy.

How is it that other people's problems aren't ours just because they don't live in this little island? How far do you go with that argument? Should I ignore other people's problems because they aren't in England? Not in Lancashire? Not in my town? Not down my road? Not in my house?

There was I, thinking Thatcher's Britain was long gone... 2015 Urban Truck 90XS in Havana

Post #500218 4th Feb 2016 10:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>