↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Trouble starting TD5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Podrob

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Trouble starting TD5
My Defender won't turn over while the fuel pump is running (symptoms like a flat Battery) but when the fuel pump cuts out it turns over and starts normally. Have had the Battery charged and tested along with alternator, all supposed to be ok. Battery reading 12.4 volts. Any ideas ?
Post #464471 18th Oct 2015 9:23pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Could be a poor earth under the drivers seat, worth checking out the spade connections on the relays under there whilst you're in there as well.
Post #464481 18th Oct 2015 9:48pm
Podrob

Thanks, will have a look. Think the spades should be ok. Had that problem a few years ago and sorted it. I seem to have had most of the common TD5 issues.
Post #464514 18th Oct 2015 10:56pm
JWL

Whilst you're checking round have a look at the trigger wire on the starter motor for clean contact as well Thumbs Up
Post #464528 19th Oct 2015 12:22am
Podrob

This appeared to be the problem with oil leaking down the back of the rocker cover not helping things. I checked the earth under the drivers seat which was ok but loosened it a bit to see what would happen. Sure enough it would not start but turned over ok with the loose earth. My problem was that it would not turn over. Thanks for the suggestion. I cleaned up all the contacts but am in two minds whether to cover them in Copper grease.
Post #468130 31st Oct 2015 6:04pm
Podrob

My starting problem is back, intermittent problem with starter not turning over, behaves like the battery is flat especially when the fuel pump is running but eventually starts normally. So far I have cleaned the both starter contacts, earth under the drivers seat, battery and alternator ok, relays under drivers seat all ok, any ideas ?
Post #470804 8th Nov 2015 8:54pm
JWL

You just get a click when you turn the key? Sometimes it will catch when you have the impression that you've had the key in the start position for longer than usual...... This points to the starter solonoid in need of some attention. You can buy a new solonoid kit off ebay for less than a tenner which gives you new copper contacts and plunger which will sort you out.
This can be done from underneath without taking the starter motor off but if it's your first time it would be advisable to take the motor off and do it on the bench Thumbs Up
Post #470817 8th Nov 2015 9:41pm
Podrob

I don't get anything when turning the key, no click, then after a few attempts and when the fuel pump has stopped it starts normally. Do you think that is still the solenoid. Saw those kits a while ago, no harm in giving that a go. Would rather sort it from above than below. Thanks for the advice.
Post #471381 10th Nov 2015 8:23pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
When my starter terminals were starting to go there would be no click or anything then after a few try's it would start so I'd say that's definitely the problem. It's much easier to take the starter off from underneath though and swapping the terminals over is an easy job Thumbs Up Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #471386 10th Nov 2015 9:04pm
Raywin

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
Does the fuel pump whine when you turn on the ignition, then go quiet? If so have you looked at the fuel system? You mention oil running down the engine, are you sure it's not diesel.
My defender just failed the MOT on a fuel leak at the back of the engine drivers side, the pipes into the fuel pressure regulator were leaking and they allow air into the system when the engine is standing this makes it a pig to start, if I turned on the ignition the pump in the tank whined for a while and when it stopped the it would start ok.
It's also worth changing the bleed valve on the diesel filter, only cost a few pounds and helps the system purge itself.
Post #471700 11th Nov 2015 7:48pm
Podrob

Thanks for the suggestion re the fuel system, fuel pump behaving normally (at least as it always did). The oil is engine oil rather than diesel, think it is the rocker cover half moon. Fuel pressure regulator was replaced when I bought it and looks ok. Think the issue is with the starter as it does not turn over rather than turns over but does not start.
Post #475153 22nd Nov 2015 3:56pm
Podrob

mk1collector wrote:
When my starter terminals were starting to go there would be no click or anything then after a few try's it would start so I'd say that's definitely the problem. It's much easier to take the starter off from underneath though and swapping the terminals over is an easy job Thumbs Up

I got the starter off much easier than expected for the top bolt. Used 3/8 15 mm socket universal joint and 3 of the longer extension bars down through space between in let ports for two rear most cylinders and did the lower two bolts from under. My problem wo is that the contacts don't look right on the kit supplied. Are there different types of these contacts. The smaller of the two contacts looks ok but the larger one is significantly different. Will contact the supplier but was wondering if anyone had similar issues. The plunger supplied was ok so I just fitted that in the mean time, seems to work. Will post a couple of pictures of the contacts when on a pc. Thanks for all the suggestions, the solenoid does look to be the most likely issue.
Post #475155 22nd Nov 2015 4:11pm
dorsetsmith

Post #475156 22nd Nov 2015 4:19pm
Podrob

Thanks for the info. Yes am fairly sure it is the starter. It would be an easy enough fix if I had the right contacts
Post #475956 25th Nov 2015 12:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1