↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 110k miles Puma. Bin it for a new one? Or can you rejuvenate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
enfield_dinosaur

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Java Black
110k miles Puma. Bin it for a new one? Or can you rejuvenate
I own a Puma with 110k miles and feel I have to make a difficult decision regarding the future.

My 110 is a beautiful vehicle with just the right specs. It's in good shape - the mileage usually gets stares of disbelief. Including by experienced Land Rover workshop mechanics. As a MY07, it's also 50% cheaper in tax and insurance then the later Defenders.

Yet, recently, the troubles began to encroach the car - a motor knock is developing, the power steering leaks and a botched corrosion job by the previous owner starts to show in the shape of ugly rust. At 110k miles it's safe to assume there will be more problems coming up.

So, I've been thinking. Get rid of it? If I sell it and add 7.000 GBP I could get one with half the mileage. But should I do it? I might not get the color or the specs I want. Corrosion might be worse. My tax and insurance will double. But I will have something that promises less troubles in the next 10 years. And I really want to stick with driving a Defender. But how much of a future does it have at 110k?

Or should I invest it in repairs? (The corrosion treatment including sand blasting will be free, due to fortunate circumstances). With 7k GBP, is it possible to rejuvenate a Defender so it feels like a new car again? With the TDI crowd, I see it all the time - old Defenders are being reborn into practically new cars. But is this feasible with a TDCi?

I'm really looking forward to your thoughts. I'm sure some of you are looking at the same decisions these days.
Post #447451 19th Aug 2015 6:55pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
If it was me I would reinvest in it Thumbs Up

If you are happy with it and its so far been a good one then I would invest the time and money into it (especially if you can get rust treatment done well and cheep!)

All defender owners who want to keep there defender any length of time (anything more than 3 years of warranty) need to come to terms with the fact that defenders will always rust and will always need work. It comes with ownership of the vehicle. Yes you can put it off for years but all defenders will rust.

Lots of Tdi's are having full rebuilds at the moment because lots of them are starting to have very big rust problems. Mine has had a full rear crossmember and top half of passenger bulkhead, it will need rear passenger doors doing soon and drivers sides have been replaced at some point and they already have holes in them. But as Tdi's go she is still in very good nick. Others I have seen are having whole new chassis and bulkheads, doors - helped due to the high value of defenders now, it is becoming much more worthwhile to do.

Your truck sounds like it is just getting to the start of some lighter works. If I was you, I would spend £5k on reliability work and sorting out its current issues, and then keep the remaining £2k as contingency for the next issue.

If you sell you one and "make do" with another one then all you will do is inherit someone else's dodges and history and you could well end up with something half the mileage, not the colour or spec you want paying more tax and having way more problems then you have now. And then in the next few years having rust come through!

Alternatively, you could use the £7k to buy a Kia and have no problems ever and be bored to tears by its tireless reliability.

Just my 2p's worth Thumbs Up Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #447475 19th Aug 2015 7:25pm
Dora

England 
I agree with shaggydog, invest in the one you have. You have obviously had it for some time and presumably sculpted it to suit your lifestyle and needs. You could spend your money on another and find yourself with a host of new problems, and have to re-sculpt it to fit you. Even if you need a new engine and chassis I would personally go for it, it would cost me so much on top of the purchase price to get it back to how I like it with all the little personal touches like sound proofing, security, comfort etc etc. As the old saying goes "Better the devil you know" Thumbs Up
Post #447509 19th Aug 2015 8:40pm
rover

United Kingdom 
If I was you I would be looking at putting a 3.2 tdci in it. Much better than a new 2.2.
Post #447511 19th Aug 2015 8:49pm
theorangebandit

I've been looking at the 3.2 option but where to buy one is a stumbling point
Post #447533 19th Aug 2015 9:53pm
Dave_S

Dora wrote:
I agree with shaggydog, invest in the one you have. You have obviously had it for some time and presumably sculpted it to suit your lifestyle and needs. You could spend your money on another and find yourself with a host of new problems, and have to re-sculpt it to fit you. Even if you need a new engine and chassis I would personally go for it, it would cost me so much on top of the purchase price to get it back to how I like it with all the little personal touches like sound proofing, security, comfort etc etc. As the old saying goes "Better the devil you know" Thumbs Up

With all due respect... you are on drugs. "even if you need a new engine and a chassis"? Hell, that's at least half the cost of the vehicle. If its that bad, sell it or break it.

To answer the original post, it really depends how bad everything is, and how modified your truck is. If you've spent a lot on customising etc, then it may make sense - one persons "major rust issues" is anothers "minor irritation, part of owning a Landie".

Get a professional opinion on the body & chassis issues - then work from there.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
Post #447537 19th Aug 2015 10:04pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Bah! 110k miles is nothing, just about run in!

How come it's so ropey if it's just a youngster?
Post #447541 19th Aug 2015 10:14pm
Dora

England 
Dave_s I don't know whare you live or what drugs you're on but around here a new chassis is about £1400 and a decent engine about £2200+, that makes your motor very cheap. If it's only £7200ish. Just over a third of mine, I would sooner pay £3-4K or more and have a vehicle with all my own tweaks than start again at around £15-20K
Post #447551 19th Aug 2015 10:34pm
Dave_S

Sure, Dora - you are absolutely right - the OP thinks his engine is toast and has bad rust issues, but it'll all be good. I surrender to your superior logic... when you show me a garage that will replace a Tdci chassis and engine for that price, inc labour.
Post #447553 19th Aug 2015 10:39pm
Dora

England 
Well I would do it myself but I'm sure most good indy's would only charge a couple of grand or so to do it, still makes it cheap to keep "your" vehicle Thumbs Up
Post #447555 19th Aug 2015 10:43pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Well, I'll be the odd one out here.
By "new" do you mean "new", or new to you.
If you mean "new", and you don't mind spending the dollars, & you find that it is still possible to get a new one in the spec that you require, I'd "lash out" & get a new one. In a few years, the cost will be irrelevant, and you'll be glad you did (get your "own" brand new, and one of the last, Defenders)
Pickles.
Post #447560 19th Aug 2015 10:56pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
What's wrong with the engine?

The TDCIs are capable of big mileages if looked after, we have Transits, and Peugeots that have done over 200,000 miles and are still running well.
Apart from cam chain changes around the 150,000 mark, and regular servicing, they seem bomb proof!

My 08 90 is on 95,000 and has never had any issues, it's a keeper so hope to get at least 200,000 out of it!

Thumbs Up 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #447581 20th Aug 2015 7:07am
enfield_dinosaur

I realize that for truly pondering the options, I should write more about my car.

- 110k miles, MY2007
    - Classic Keswick with coloured roof. I quite like it.
    - Sensibly and modestly outfitted for offroad use, including raised air intake, BFGs on black Boosts, underbody protection. No bling. No major modification except for a crappy bluetooth radio.
    - Traction Control
    - Interior immaculate
    – Engine: No oil consumption at all.
    - It's been waxyoled and coated on the underbody from the beginning. Albeit the coating has been done badly, for the second time now.
    - M1 instead of N1G. Running costs are much more sensible.

The troubles:
    - Alu corrosion commencing on the panels below the rear seats. See this post: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic37921.html
    - Slight bits of rust on the bulkhead behind the dashboard. Probably a leaky windscreen thing.
    - The chassis is still in very good condition, albeit some rust is starting to show. Another botched corossion treatment job last year sealed dirt, grass and mud under the coating. Coating falls off now. Will have to adress this soon.
    - a coin-sized, beautifully bubbly rust hole in the back panel where the back ladder once was.
    - It had a overheating problem, going into limp mode last summer. Should be fine now. I hope there's no damage still undiscovered.
    - Engine after-knocks loudly when I let go of the accelerator on half-throttle, I suspect the injectors or wrongly timed ECU
    - the power steering leaks, will have to be replaced at some point
    - New tyres will come up shortly,
    - Windscreen leaks a little

All problems can be sorted, I am sure. But I am wondering about the next 10 years here. I really, really like driving my Defender. It's an odd fascination, since otherwise I do not care about cars at all.

I think the question is: can a 110k Puma be (made) future proof? Or is it now the time to switch to a new one (and I mean new as in no more then 50k miles!), now that I can still get one? With the prices high as they are now, I'll end up Fuji White
and with vinyl seats, but it could be a better platform for the future.

I want to keep driving Defenders as long until emission laws force me off the road. And then some.

Tough call!
Post #447684 20th Aug 2015 12:35pm
enfield_dinosaur

ian series 1 wrote:
What's wrong with the engine?

The TDCIs are capable of big mileages if looked after, we have Transits, and Peugeots that have done over 200,000 miles and are still running well.
Apart from cam chain changes around the 150,000 mark, and regular servicing, they seem bomb proof!

My 08 90 is on 95,000 and has never had any issues, it's a keeper so hope to get at least 200,000 out of it!

Thumbs Up

Cam chain changes? At 150k? This could be my rattly knock. Shocked
How does it manifest?
Post #447685 20th Aug 2015 12:37pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
You can hear the chains rattle, as they do stretch over time, and wear the plastic guides, and sprockets can show signs of wear at that mileage.

It's a straight forward job, your looking at about £200 for an aftermarket kit, compromising of chain, tensioner, sprockets, and crank seal.
I always change them at 150,000 just to be on the safe side.
Will probably do my Defender at 120,000

I don't think I have ever heard a tdci with a knock? 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #447705 20th Aug 2015 2:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>