↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Handbrake cable removal.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
MarkR

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Handbrake cable removal.
Hi guys, first post so be gentle. My wife mentioned that there was a problem with the handbrake, so upon investigation I think the cable has snapped at the drum end. I have a new handbrake cable on order, and I have a mind to fit it myself. Is this within the realms of a tinkerer? I believe I need to remove the prop shaft to get at the cable, and I'm a little nervous of doing this. I just need a little encouragement, and or pictures.....I have a workshop disc for the puma, and I have printed off the bit about replacement handbrake cable, but I found it a little vague, for me at least. When I attempt this I will make sure I take lots of photos, but if anyone can help talk me through it that would be great also. I'm a cabinetmaker by trade, so woodwork is more my thing and not the metal bits.
Post #376093 3rd Dec 2014 3:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bga86

2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Don't be worried about it mark it's an easy job! First off is to remove the prop then take the hand brake drum off, personally I always remove the hand brake back plate with shoes etc and do the job in a vice. Undo the 4x15mm bolts on the back plate and it will come off. Don't forget to remove the cable from the hand brake, pull the rubber boot off, take the split pin out of the roll pin and push the cable free. To push it back through the seat box you may need to tap it with a screw driver and a hammer. Refitting is reverse of removal. Hard to explain but if you have a workshop manual you will not go far wrong Thumbs Up
Post #376434 4th Dec 2014 8:36pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
If link works give it time to load and you have everything you need hopefully. Thumbs Up

Good luck......

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid=4B...&wdo=1 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #376437 4th Dec 2014 8:43pm
MarkR

Thanks guys, I'm still waiting for the cable to arrive but I had a crawl under it this afternoon. I poked about for a bit and realised that the handbrake seemed jammed on, so I've took it (the cable) off then pushed it back from the handle end, it doesn't seem stuck on now in fact there is a bit of movement in the drum. I also had a quick go at undoing the bolts that attach the prop to the drum......but are they some weird size or something? I ask as apart from being difficult to get a socket on them, a 14 m/m socket seems loose and a 13m/m won't go on. I will take a better look when the cable gets delivered as the light was fading and I didn't want to ring off the nut. Cheers. All the best

Mark
Post #376474 4th Dec 2014 10:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bga86

2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
The nuts are 9/16" in size Thumbs Up
Post #376476 4th Dec 2014 10:29pm
MarkR

Ahhh, that'll be it then. I will dig through my old mans gear and look for a ring spanner. All the best

Mark
Post #376478 4th Dec 2014 10:37pm
munch90

England 
Yes 9/16 socket/spanner size , 3/8 unf thread if youneed to get new nuts

14mm is very slightly smaller than 9/16 , so new or good 14mm socket will be tight fit making it a pain , better to get a proper 9/16 socket in 3/8 drive to make job easier
Post #376480 4th Dec 2014 10:40pm
Dieselhead

Buy this Thumbs Up

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DEFEN...1065562972

Will save you alot of time & rude words Laughing Chris

2008 XS 110 2.4 Utility. Tonga Green
1953 Series 1 for restoration
1983 Mini Mayfair
2004 VW T5 Camper
2008 Diahatsu Sirion. Thats hers
Classic Bolens Garden Tractors
Post #376639 5th Dec 2014 4:47pm
MarkR

OK....so I cheated a bit. The job is done but I couldn't take any pictures as I was on a bit of a time limit, basically my brother in law has his own garage and testing centre and I happened to mention when we had a beer on Friday that I needed to change the cable. He said come over Saturday afternoon and you can do it over my pit if your quick, so that's what happened. He gave me a great tip on replacing the cable so I will pass it on for the advice I received from here.

Take the prop and drum off, but leave all the brake shoes in place. Then disconnect the cable from the hand brake end, snip the cable off between the rubber sleeve and long spring and lever out the old head of the cable. Then push the new cable into the drum end first and with some long nosed pliers place the new cable into the holder. Then from the hand brake handle end lever the cable into place with a block of wood and some pliers until the pin can be pushed in. This saves all the faffing with the shoes.

Oh and FYI the cable wasn't snapped, the plastic sleeve that goes around the wire had delaminated from the wire and was preventing any form of return. We decided as we had the cable it was worth replacing rather than trying to strip the old cable and bodge it.

Thanks for all of the advice, very kind of you all. All the best

Mark
Post #376831 6th Dec 2014 5:59pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Well I'm disappointed, I thought that Caterham would have posted what with all his experience with handbrakes. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #376837 6th Dec 2014 6:09pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I would have Razz. But only just noticed this after doing a search just now. Sorry to disappoint...

Don't suppose you noticed a spring on the abutment plate did you....anyone got a photo of the inside of the drum brake?

Many thanks
Post #401505 23rd Feb 2015 9:10pm
munch90

England 
Im had a spring on the top plate holding back to backplate
Post #401554 23rd Feb 2015 10:53pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Thanks Munch90

Can you recall if the spring was above or below the plate?

I'm wondering if the spring being below could be pulling everything up where if it was on top it might not and therefore allow everything to centre better?

Thumbs Up

And Off Topic
Post #401580 23rd Feb 2015 11:58pm
munch90

England 
I will try to have a look later , its under bench in workshop
Post #401605 24th Feb 2015 7:30am
munch90

England 
im sure I took it off as one lump and never took any springs off etc , so should be as it was fitted

the spring pulling shoes back is under the plate , also the top of the shoes are quite a lot worn more then buttom , so maybe that's how they tend to wear ?
Post #401610 24th Feb 2015 8:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>