↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > My Defender 110 2007 has died...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Ed

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zermatt Silver
My Defender 110 2007 has died...
My Defender 110 2007 has died...

Just went back to the dealer for the 5th time looking for an oil leak to now be told it's the piston rings causing high pressure... Personally I think it's linked to the piston cooling jet issue of which my VIN is within.

Out of warranty and into despair I go... Not sure weather to resurrect with a new engine? (do they have issues?) or scrap the vehicle for parts.. or sell it as a going concern...

Anyone know how I can check to see if it's the PCJ as I've no idea how to do this , don't want the dealer to do it as it will cost £££...

Used to be a big fan of defenders , well I still am really.. just not eh 2007+'s anymore.

Bought from dealers , 4000 on the clock ex demo I've taken that to 60k and serviced it at every mark and the most hardcore offered it gets is with a horse box on a muddy field... Still in it's life during this time it's had.....

New diffs front and rear
New diesel pressure rail and pump
About 5 vacuum pumps (which they kept telling me was the cause of the oil leak)
A new water pump
A new front cover? (something to do with oil leaks which turned out to be something else)
A new stater motor
New discs front
A new water pump
Wheel bearings all round
CV joints front
A new EGR valve.
New electric window motors front
New central locking solenoids
probably more I forget , it's been in the dealership so much it's hard to remember..

Beginning to think this defender was built on a Friday afternoon when they came back from the pub.
Post #364413 14th Oct 2014 3:26pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
Trade it for another one. Your dealer probably will pay you not more than the trade price but might be able to give you a good deal on one he has available.

Why doe I say this as it seems that you don't have faith in this one anymore so you will not be a happy driver in this one. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #364415 14th Oct 2014 3:41pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If you have a fiull service history then there is a very real possibility the LR will make a substantial contribution to the cost of repairs if it is indeed the PCJ issue. There are several threads on here on the subject.

If you don't have a full service history the position is less clear.

Good luck!
Post #364420 14th Oct 2014 3:52pm
SS90

United Kingdom 
A mate of mine, had his engine go on a 2007 90 and he'd done 60,000 miles. It was just out of it's extended warranty, had full service history the works. Sounds very similar, as he was having oil leaks. He bought another engine in the end and touch wood, he hasn't had anymore problems.
Post #364444 14th Oct 2014 5:58pm
MR_JAMES

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
if its high crankcase pressure why cant you just vent it to the atmosphere? 1953 80"
1987 mini city e
2011 90"
Post #364491 14th Oct 2014 8:30pm
Ed

The dealer suggested we send it off to auction , "then it will be someone else's problem." How professionally underhanded of them, makes me think how mine was treated before we bought it.

LandRover UK , forget it.. They dropped it instantly.

So, further investigation has shown oil in the air filter amongst other places.. This is what the dealership says but I simply can't trust them any more so I'm in search of another opinion as I'm not really an expert.

There's no noise, idles good , no lack of power , has only smoked once badly but now drives clean.... Oil over the engine bay though but I suspect that's still the vacuum pump. Frustrated as I though LR Dealerships would be the best technical place to get my LR serviced and checked. Paid a fortune to prolong the life of my landy only to see it with such serious issues at 60k/7yrs old.

Get the impression they're more interested in the people with more £££ selling RR Sports.
Post #364929 16th Oct 2014 1:05pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
There are several stages to the problem that the PCJ design fault causes.

In the early stages, the bores and pistons will be damages although the engine wil still run, possibly quite well. It may be down on power, it may be harder to start (though it might turn over more easily) due to loss of compression. It will be blowing oil and smoke out of the breather system, though, and oil in the air filter could well be due to this (there are other faults however which will put oil in the air filter).

At this stage the checks I would do are:-

1) with the engine running, remove the oil filler cap and see what happens. if a significant amount of smoke and vapour is discharged, it suggests worn bores;

2) drain the oil out of the sump into a container and inspect the oil for metallic debris;

3) drop the sump off the vehicle and inspect the inside for sludge, and debris.

If you do have a smokey breather and debris in the oil or sump, then it is likely that it is the PCJ problem.

At this stage you really need to inspect the bores to assess how bad the damage is. This can be done with a borescope or inspection camera down the heater plug hole or injector hole, or you need to take the head off.

Generally damaged bores in themselves aren't an irreperable problem, but what is a factor is the amount of collateral damage that the metallic debris coming off the bores may have done to all the other bearing surfaces. In effect anything force-lubricated from the engine oil pump may also be knackered. If you catch it early, it may not be too expensive to rebore and overhaul the engine. If it is advanced, then a new engine will probably be a more sensible option.

In later stages the engine will suffer from terminal bearing failure with heavy knocking.

The comment by the dealer is appalling and unprofessional, nut it might be worth persevering a little longer with LRUK.
Post #364949 16th Oct 2014 2:27pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Although he is currently out of the office it is worth running this past Pete at LR Customer Services here ( username is mike@landrover )  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #364955 16th Oct 2014 2:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ed

Thank you guys for all the help and suggestions , I'm in danger of learning a little more Smile

last night I read up on the workshop manual (rock n roll!) and found something I will try later this evening when back from the day job... The crank oil separator on the top head , has a pipe which winds it's way down to the air intake tube.. There is some 'sludge' in this pipe and I was wonder if further up this tube connecting to the oil separator , or the separator itself , has become blocked or heavily restricted...

My question to the experts is could this being blocked cause my engine to bleed oil all about the place? Would this block the crankcase pressure and is this only point it "breathes"?

Will get some degreaser on the way home , I'm also struggling to find a part number for the oil separator unit as the workshop manual I have does not list part numbers.

Cheers Guys , fingers and toes crossed for a cheap fix if that's the case..
Post #365134 17th Oct 2014 8:39am
steve E

Wales 
Hi Edd
I can't help with the mechanics but really hope this fixes your defender. Thumbs Up

Steve
Post #365136 17th Oct 2014 8:51am
munch90

England 
if breather is blocked it will cause oil leaks , but you would get not a lot out of breather pipe to turbo intake pipe , and lots out of oil filler cap/dip stick tube
Post #365138 17th Oct 2014 8:53am
zeerover

Belgium 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Lose injectors, copper seals ae gone. Check this first.
Post #372925 20th Nov 2014 1:45am
Mack

2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Chawton White
If you have some cash to spare, or are willing to make an effort, I would look into replacing the engine with obe of these... if the transmission can be adapted Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
http://www.nav-international.com.br/site.aspx/Vehicular
Post #372929 20th Nov 2014 4:44am
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
2.4 engines are cheap enough to get hold of if you need one another option 3.2 it or as you say sell it as a going concern you will probly be lucky to get half what It's worth !

Steve 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #372962 20th Nov 2014 11:09am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Ed wrote:
I'm also struggling to find a part number for the oil separator unit as the workshop manual I have does not list part numbers.

I'm struggling to reconcile the diagrams between the workshop manual and parts catalogue but it could be LR006031 - it's only described as a cover.

Scratch that - on reflection I don't think that's it. I can't see a separate part number for it.
Post #372963 20th Nov 2014 11:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>