↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Bilsteins or Koni?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
redzob

Guernsey 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Bilsteins or Koni?
I'm planning to change the dampers, install polybushes and a 28mm ARB on my 90 XS. I have no plans to lower it as I like the look of the standard ride height and wheels. This is simply to improve it's road manners but keeping visuals changes to a minimum. Some sites recommend Bilstein B6's (which work apparently at standard height or lowered by 1") whereas others swear by the Konis (although these seem to always be used in conjunction with lowered springs).

Has anyone tried both with standard wheels/springs?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has already been done to death elsewhere... Defender Puma 2.2 XS 90
Vespa GTS 300
Way too many racing bikes.
Post #364750 15th Oct 2014 8:53pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
OMEs..... Shocked Cheers

James
110 2012 XS Utility
130 2011 M57 bespoke Camper
90 2010 Hardtop
90 M57 1988 Hardtop
Post #364755 15th Oct 2014 9:10pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I don't own any but if I had to choose I'd go for Bilstein. Polybushes are also good too.
I have Polybushes with standard shocks and they give a good stiffness to them. (The red performance ones)
Post #364757 15th Oct 2014 9:13pm
Fullfat

1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rioja Red
I changed my knackered oem springs and dampers for bearmac (blue) springs and Monroe dampers also changed the bushes to polybush this made a massive difference to the ride, I then fitted front and rear oem arb and this also made a big difference to the handling. I did find the height seems to lift a bit after I did all the work but that wasn't intentional

I guess it depends on how bad your current ones are to determine how different the ride will be but I would say the ARB do make a very big difference to the handling IMHO.
Post #364763 15th Oct 2014 9:30pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
I'm considering some Koni Heavy Tracks as they seem to be a nice mix of good road handing, off road ability and not breaking the bank.

The Bilstein ones seem (to me) to be ether very very expensive shocks with a bigger bias to road based driving rather than off road. Clearly everyone's needs are different but to me they seem a bit too road bais.

Old man emu have been mentioned as well and honestly they seem to get the same sort of reviews as Koni's but have a bigger price tag.

I have run standard Tdi (wallowy boat characteristics) , pro comp +2"(were ok but a bit crashy) and now TDCI (which are awful) so im looking at putting the issue to bed.

I would be very interested to know where the best place to get some Koni's from would be, forum sponsors? Anyone?
Post #364785 15th Oct 2014 10:10pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
custom90steve wrote:
I don't own any but if I had to choose I'd go for Bilstein. Polybushes are also good too.
I have Polybushes with standard shocks and they give a good stiffness to them. (The red performance ones)

There are three grades of polybushes are there not? Which are the red ones ,...middle, hardest, softest etc? With these bushes, I realize that your alignment etc is going to be kept for longer, but is there any noticeable harshness/vibration increase?. On road cars here in Aus, I've heard of suspension points breaking / being damaged etc, because of lack of "give" in the harder bushings. What do you think?
Thanks, Pickles.
Post #364804 15th Oct 2014 10:44pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
I have just put Koni Heavy Tracks on my 90 with standard CSW springs and have to say that the difference against the standard LR shocks is pretty negligable. The Konis are set to their softest setting and there is a little more travel over big bumps (feel more compression over speed bumps). I'd also say that there are less vibrations in the cabin than before, but the ride is not noticeably smoother or softer, which is what I was hoping to achieve. I think I will end up changing my springs as well in time. I do however feel happy with the purchase knowing that I now have a decent set of shocks on that have some adjustability for future requirements. I think it is a case of fine tuning your setup to your own requirements, rather than a one solution fits all approach. For me OME were overkill - they seem to be geared up for overland prepped 110s, and the Bilsteins aren't adjustable, so settled on the Konis as a good balance of price, functionality and reputation / quality. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #364808 15th Oct 2014 10:51pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Pickles - The red which I have is the stiffest grade the Orange an intermediate and the blue the softest.
I have the red ones, them feel very good and the shock should take the punishment mostly anyway not the bush.
I can't imagine any ill effect with normal driving providing you don't wallop pot holes at high speeds but OE bushes can suffer the same fate.
Rubber is not the best material Imo for the job because it perishes.
Polybush longevity vs rubber is a winner in my book, and so far they've been excellent.
I'd get more if I needed them but for now there no way I'm spending any more on my 90.
Must rein in the spending big time. Shocked
Post #364824 15th Oct 2014 11:32pm
redzob

Green Machine - have you also swapped the ARB? My usage is very road biased and I was driving up the motorway last month with the wife when a truck suddenly changed lane in front of me - tacking avoiding action the wallowing/bouncing didn't inspire much confidence (for a while we thought we were in a boat), so I guess I'm attempting to improve that and general ride harshness. The standard dampers don't seem to do much in the way of timely damping to me. When I'm offroad it doesn't matter anyway... Defender Puma 2.2 XS 90
Vespa GTS 300
Post #364843 16th Oct 2014 7:43am
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
if its road usage, bilsteins imo are the best. 'slightly' harsh on the bumps but makes up for it how it corners...
Post #364862 16th Oct 2014 9:07am
Pickles

I don't look to shockers with respect to "harshness".
IMHO that is not created by shock absorbers, which as their name implies, smooth out "Shocks", bumps in the road surface, body roll, pitching etc.
"Harshness", to me anyway, is the vibration, road vibrations etc, transferred through the car according to the road surface,.....I'm tallking "on road" here. The sort of "harshness" I'm referring to would not be altered at all by shock absorbers, but would be.or could be, via the fitting of harder, less compliant suspension bushes.
And again, don't get me wrong, bushes are something that I'll be looking at in the future, I know there are different "grades",.....abd I feel that if I did fit too hard a grade, then I would get more harshness & vibration through the car.
Pickles.
Post #364865 16th Oct 2014 9:21am
redzob

Pickles-interesting comment, thanks.

I'm fascinated to understand more about the dynamics of this and the role each component plays. So you're saying that replacing standard rubber bushes (soft) with polybushes (of whatever grade) is likely to serious effect ride harshness? I assumed the shocks were the biggest factor.... Defender Puma 2.2 XS 90
Vespa GTS 300
Post #364873 16th Oct 2014 9:45am
Pickles

G'Day Redzob.
Well I'm not saying it would, but it certainly could.
I haven't had a lot of experience with 4WD type vehicles, but a fair amount with performance cars, V8s etc in Aus, where all sorts of suspension mods are available, including of course, suspension bushes, in fact I think that the leading brand is made in Aus.
The standard O.E. rubber bushes are put into the suspension for a reason, & for sure they have their limitations.
I'm not saying for one minute that these bushes do not improve on road suspension performance, maintain alignment settings etc, because of course they do, the secret is to get the right ones, that will suit your purpose, without sacrificing too much "give", which will cause more vibration & harshness, as well as placing more stress upon suspension mounting points.
Pickles.
Post #364877 16th Oct 2014 10:12am
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
I have Bilstein's b6's , standard springs and fitted standard Arb's front and rear. Imo there is no need for the updated 28mm rear arb as everything is improved vastly, without turning it into a go cart. My off road limitations are not affected from standard, but road manners are superb. Once fitted, even the wife noticed just how much the ride improved, and she actually enjoys driving it as it is takes away all the vaugness. The bilsteins are quite hard on first fitting, but do mellow after a few miles. It eliminates that body roll that you refer to in your later post.
The polybush's I have not done, and at presant see no need to do. They further eliminate any play within the suspension/steering components giving a more direct feel. If and when the original bushes fail , then I will might replace with super pro one's, but all things considered, I'm more than happy as it is.
Mine is a workhorse, and our everyday transport. It can still do off road, tow large plant and take us on family holidays in comfort with the added bonus of great road manners. I decided to do it in stages. At least that way you can judge the benefits of one modification on merit, without spending loads cause you feel/ read its best too. If your still not happy you can always add to it.
I have not tried the konis, on a Landrover but from previous experience of there products they will be on par with Bilstein. My reasoning for the bilsteins, again was based on previous experiences with adjustable dampers on various performance cars.You would tinker with them for the sake of it, or not bother so what's the point of having adjustable ? Some adjustables (not sure about the LR ones) you also had to half take off to adjust, not a 2 minate job, and if not done regularly would seize. Now if it was a track day car, then that's a different matter, and well worth having.
Post #365014 16th Oct 2014 6:58pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
@Redzob No, I am just running standard LR ARBs front and rear. Don't have any issue with wallowing or roll in corners, but I'm used to Land Rovers, so maybe I'm just used to it! If I were to change to softer springs however, I would consider a thicker rear ARB. I'm reluctant to change the springs as I don't want to lose the load carrying ability. It's tricky striking the right balance!

@Barbel Jim You are correct that the Konis are only adjustable by removing them, compressing the tubes and then rotating the tubes against one another, so not a quick job! But does provide some flexibility nonetheless. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #365028 16th Oct 2014 7:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>