↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma 2.4TDCi - Black Smoke - Diagnostics?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
SupraAyf

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Orkney Grey
Thanks guys,

I have an RAC Warranty which I am hoping to use to rectify the problem. I have read the 24-pages of the warranty stipulations and I think my claim is fully applicable.

If anyone else has any alternative ideas to the one suggested by bga then please fire-away as this whole thing is a puzzle? There is black smoke coming from under from the rocker cover and I have no idea what's wrong; something is leaking somewhere - that's one thing I do know.

My engine symptoms are not as severe as the ones posted-up by bga but nevertheless they're still present and I'm clutching at straws to get this sorted.

Any ideas chaps? Wink

Crickey, just thinking about it; I've never have one problem that I could not resolve with my 300tdi Trayback and it has been up the hills, rocks, rivers, and everywhere. - Andrew -
Post #362113 4th Oct 2014 10:16am
martinfiattech

England 
RAC Warranty may not look to kindly on the larger turbo especially if it`s got blowing injectors,
Have they been made aware of said up grades to the engine.
This may be the point when they walk away.

If the injectors are blowing, you could remove the rocker cover run the engine ( there will be oil everywhere ) so don`t run it too long.
You could try tightening the injector mounting bolts, don`t go mad it`s only an alloy head. Maybe if possible pour some soapy water down the injector tubes and watch for bubbles, like looking for a puncture on a inner tube.

If you have access to a cylinder leakage tester you could remove the glow plugs and pressurise the cylinders to check for leakage, this would test the piston rings, bores, valves, and the injector seals.

Still never had a problem with these but you never know it may have been a slow day at the engine building plant.
Would`ent be the first time that's happened. Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #362143 4th Oct 2014 12:50pm
SupraAyf

Team,

I've approached the Ford Transit club and their Tdci Club Moderator has said that injector seal failure is a very common problem on the 2.4 units.

Martin - some really good points there. Thanks mate, I'm going to get this sorted asap and report back as I'm "losing the will" at this rate. - Andrew -
Post #362396 5th Oct 2014 7:45pm
bga86

2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
SupraAyf wrote:
Team,

I've approached the Ford Transit club and their Tdci Club Moderator has said that injector seal failure is a very common problem on the 2.4 units.

Martin - some really good points there. Thanks mate, I'm going to get this sorted asap and report back as I'm "losing the will" at this rate.

Rolling Eyes
Post #362515 6th Oct 2014 6:40am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
^^ Whistle

STILL ......
K9F wrote:
Not much evidence on here, apart from this thread of course!
I asked my local inedependent and service manager at my dealers and they'd not heard of it being a common issue with Defenders? So I'm still in the not convinced camp.
As you stated the vehicle had only done 17 miles with the hybrid turbo fitted before you picked it up. The rest of the intended modification process didn't take place. Sensible thing would either be to take it to a reputable tuner with a rolling road to aid diagnosis or revert it back to a standard turbo. All this hearsay, conjecture and speculation means nothing unless you have had a reliable, proven platform from the beginning which you obviously haven't had. Also your engine as a result has a certain uniqueness with it's one off turbo that doesn't place it in the 'this has happened lots of times corner' in my opinion. Standard fit turbo or professional help with the right setup would also help find out the underlying cause perhaps too and prevent a repeat.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #362539 6th Oct 2014 9:28am
munch90

England 
k9f , im with you on this

you said what i said on page 5 ,

start at the beginning then move forward

and to throw a spanner even deeper in the works , are the transit forum talking about the leak off pipe seals not the injector copper washer seal !!!

7 years now the ford engine has been fitted in the defender and like you say k9f nothing on this forum about them

and more to the point how would a injector seal cause black smoke ! black smoke = too much fuel ,not enough air
Post #362541 6th Oct 2014 9:38am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Very Happy

just a thought here....are we talking about injector seal failure or an loose injector leading to the seal passing so to speak....this isn't uncommon?

I don't know people that just won't listen...... Whistle

Embarassed

have you looked into what the turbo is and it's supposed characteristics are as this might help to determine the why the issue is occurring?

ie would a larger turbo not give black smoke until its up and running (ie during the lag period?)

good luck
Post #362544 6th Oct 2014 9:53am
K9F

Munch we've both said it but the issue of the non-standard nature of the vehicle's turbo seems to be continually skirted round....looking for a conventional cause and solution to a non-conventional setup.

SupraAyf wrote:
This upgrade alone would cost over £900 so that's a bonus although I will now need to remap the ECU and add bits to make the thing work correctly......Almost there, eh??? Cool

You said it yourself....maybe not quite almost there after all eh? It's running too rich as stated. As the previous owner was a bit iof a Turbo Guru see if he can help? Or at least see if he may still have the original sat on a bench or stashed somewhere?

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Last edited by K9F on 6th Oct 2014 10:26am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #362549 6th Oct 2014 10:19am
munch90

England 
if it turns out that the turbo isn't right and needs further work to make it right , why would a turbo guru fit it then sell it not right , don't quite understand that

and somewhere didn't it mention that the car had only done 17- miles is that 17 miles or 17k miles with the turbo fitted

why not put it back to standard then sell it or sort it

Last edited by munch90 on 6th Oct 2014 10:30am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #362551 6th Oct 2014 10:24am
K9F

^^^^
Absolute 'No brainer' whatsoever!............ Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

SupraAyf wrote:
I'm "losing the will" at this rate.

So am I! Laughing

Stick it back to standard or find someone with the correct diagnostic kit and rolling road to sort your issues instead of scratching about on here looking for a quick home fix. Alternatively give it back to the Turbo Guru tell him it's running rich and to either finish his project or revert it back. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #362555 6th Oct 2014 10:29am
SupraAyf

Turbo lag - That has to be it in all honesty based on your advice given.

I'll cancel the injector seal appointment and see if I can borrow/find a spare standard turbo to check the system. I'm also going to visit Turbo Solutions to see if they can help rectify the problem.

I will let this thread go cold until I have sorted/checked the turbo issue.

Thanks guys - you have been very patient. Thumbs Up - Andrew -
Post #362562 6th Oct 2014 10:51am
Caterham

see. keep telling you guys I spok purfuc sence all alongo

Razz
Post #362568 6th Oct 2014 11:52am
K9F

Wayne you talking any sense at all would be like a breath of fresh air...... Rolling with laughter Bow down Rolling with laughter

(No offence meant or implied). Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #362572 6th Oct 2014 12:09pm
Caterham

Mal,

I think I know what you mean - the weather is quite unpleasant and windy today which reminds you of me - lots of fresh air / sense?

YES.
Post #362577 6th Oct 2014 12:29pm
SupraAyf

Guys, a quick update:

The Intercooler and performance filter were ordered yesterday so they'll be here by the end of the week. Tech and price wise: I've gone for a full-size Serck performance (fast road) IC from Paddocks @ £354 delivered and a Pipercorss filter for £23, also from the same place. I have read a whole load of stuff in recent days on filter testing and Pipercross seems as good as any albeit the flow rate may be marginally greater than K&N and the ITG so more dirt particles may enter the engine.

In terms of tuning etc, I'm going to reach out and take a punt by not using one of the named guys on here. Instead I am going to use someone who is a well known R35GTR tuner and as such has a 2400BHP 4WD rolling road in his arsenal.

The Landy will be tuned on the RR by building the stages of the map to obtain safe operating parameters.

I have work commitments in the next few weeks so this thread is likely to develop slowly but mark my words I'll report back just as soon as I have an update. - Andrew -
Post #363824 11th Oct 2014 8:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>