↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma 2.4TDCi - Black Smoke - Diagnostics?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
SupraAyf

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Orkney Grey
The inlet manifold is now off but I had to remove upwards of 6mm of grime and soot in places (the average was 4mm). I'm having a few issues in removing the 10mm nut that retains the gas transfer and mixer pipe from the block but that will be off tomorrow I'm sure, and then the EGR.

I'm off for a glass of red Wink - Andrew -
Post #358272 16th Sep 2014 8:21pm
SupraAyf

A quick update for you chaps:

I removed the EGR, mixer pipe (incl MAF housing), inlet manifold, turbo pipes (again) and cleaned them accordingly. The EGR was not particularly sootet-up but nevertheless I gave it a good clean to ensure that the valve within the EGR housing was free to move. That being said the valve was seated perfectly against the inlet hole (the one that connects the gas flow to the EGR Cooler) so I have no reason to think that my EGR has gone tits-up.

The pipe work is fine and just to make certain that everything is fitted well I replaced all of the jubilee clips too. I’ve even checked the fuel filter again (and fuel lines) to ensure that it is seated correctly and that all potential water ingress has been expelled from the unit. The fuel has been changed for the high grade BP stuff and I’ll change the oil and filter tomorrow for Magnatec A1 spec.

Even so, the thing still smokes after a short trip this afternoon so I have to conclude that a problem exists with either the fuel pressure/pump; the fuel delivery system or the injectors (or the injector programming).

Question: Would a conventional diagnostic check indicate any irregularities with the fuel pressure or the fuel system? I have read on the Ford forums that high fuel pressure will activate a DTC but I have no light on the dash or DTC during my diagnostic check the other day. Ummm!

I’m wondering if a potential problem stems from the oil separator and I may go the whole hog and add a D1 or Cusco oil catch tank to help remove future grunge from the engine.

Updates and further stresses to come, I’m sure.

Regards to all,

Andrew - Andrew -

Last edited by SupraAyf on 19th Sep 2014 7:02pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #358953 19th Sep 2014 6:41pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Not a bad idea! I fitted a Provent Filter after an interccoler upgrade for the very same reasoning. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #358954 19th Sep 2014 6:48pm
SupraAyf

That looks like a real smart set-up sir. The D1 has a 8mm or 13mm connection size so I'll come up with some cunning plan to mate the 22mm-wide oil separator pipe to the catch tank hose.

The Intercooler is 100% perfect too so it must be a fuel delivery issue. It must, it must Smile

I can remember a time when WD40 fixed everything - not now eh!! - Andrew -
Post #358958 19th Sep 2014 7:00pm
munch90

England 
sorry not read whole topic , but have you tried a maf sensor , that would be my first thing , if its giving wrong reading it might not give fault code

also I would not reduce the size of pipes for the breather , any pressure build up will cause oil leaks

black smoke should only be too much fuel or not enough air
Post #358964 19th Sep 2014 7:28pm
SupraAyf

munch90 wrote:
sorry not read whole topic , but have you tried a maf sensor , that would be my first thing , if its giving wrong reading it might not give fault code

also I would not reduce the size of pipes for the breather , any pressure build up will cause oil leaks

black smoke should only be too much fuel or not enough air

Thanks for the advice regarding the pipe diameter. The last thing I need is a leak on top of the black smoke. The environmental people would really want to hang me from the gallows Smile

The MAF sensor seems to be OK with no reported DTC from the diagnostic checks. It may be worth doing a test replacement just to be sure.

Thanks for the input - very much appreciated. - Andrew -
Post #358965 19th Sep 2014 7:34pm
SupraAyf

The Magnatec 5W-30 A1 and BP super Diesel fuel certainly makes for a good combo and although the smoke is reduced it still pumps out under WOT.

The fuel and turbo system will be checked out at the end of the week.

Footnote: It appears that the previous owner of my truck is also the owner of a turbo manufacturing company in the North East so I'll be asking him if he knows anything about the symptoms. - Andrew -
Post #359222 21st Sep 2014 1:24pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Which company? Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #359223 21st Sep 2014 1:29pm
SupraAyf

Hi Matt,

It's this one sir: A company called Turbo Solutions in Darlington.

Link removed for now.

I hope they can shine some light on the matter?

Cheers,

Andrew - Andrew -
Post #359224 21st Sep 2014 1:33pm
SupraAyf

A quick update from today's events:

I visited those fine fellows at Turbo Solutions in Darlington who were extremely helpful and receptive. It turns out that the boss converted the turbo to a hybrid unit just before he sold the truck. This means that my Landy had done only 17-miles on the modification before I picked it up. The original intention was to modify and remap the Landy but circumstances took over and they sold it without applying a remap or IC mods etc.

From what I understand of it the conventional spec of a Puma 2.4D Turbo compressor wheel is 32-52 (Inducer-Exducer ratio) but my hybrid unit now stands at 42-60 which is a massive upgrade compared to the original equipment's size and capability.

This upgrade alone would cost over £900 so that's a bonus although I will now need to remap the ECU and add bits to make the thing work correctly.

Almost there, eh??? Cool - Andrew -
Post #359478 22nd Sep 2014 4:47pm
munch90

England 
if the turbo is non standard then remap I would say will be needed , only thing is if the turbo is different to a hybrid turbo that is already available and has a map program done to go with it you may need a one off map to get it right , will that be more expensive to do , rolling road time etc needed and reliaiblety may be a factor as well in a one off set up

only a thought
Post #359484 22nd Sep 2014 5:14pm
ZeDefender

I have a hybrid turbo and bigger intercooler and (due to injector issues) am running without the remap on for now.
However, the "hardware" upgrade is so impressive on its own that much of the time it's hard to tell if the remap is on or off!

If you've got the "free" turbo, you should seriously consider the intercooler too Thumbs Up

In any event, the additional remap advantages of switching off EGR valve and speed limiter are not to be underestimated Wink Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #359504 22nd Sep 2014 6:27pm
SupraAyf

Thanks chaps Wink

Just a few questions to Matt, Munch and Martin please guys ( and anyone else willing, lol):

1. Is the Puma ECU fully programmable or does it have its mapping limitations?

2. I like the sound of the IC upgrade but which would you advise. The Alive unit at £295 (+ VAT) seems a good option but does anyone know the potential flow/volume rate increase. I only ask since it would need to deliver a circa 35% increase over standard to cope with the larger spec compressor wheel.

Thanks all,

A

EDIT: I have just posted a thread on the Alive Site to see what the comparison figures are between Gary's IC and the standard LR unit. His figures for other examples seem very good indeed. - Andrew -
Post #359582 22nd Sep 2014 9:50pm
ZeDefender

You are probably best talking to one of the tuners about the ECU - I would suggest Pete Bell at BAS or Gary at Alive. As far as I know, the whole ECU can only be flashed a number of times before it needs replacing - however, the remaps get around this somehow ("back door") by only changing certain parameters in a reversible manner.

I have the latest (I think) Allisport IC from BAS. There are several other options - Chiptech, Nakatanenga etc. but I think they are all a massive improvement over the puny original. Comparing my old IC with the Allisport, I think 35% increase in flow, minimum Thumbs Up

Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #359593 22nd Sep 2014 10:39pm
SupraAyf

That's a great post Matt - many thanks and it shows off some great options too. Thumbs Up

I'll drop BAS a note; even better, I may pop down for a cuppa.

All the best,

Andrew - Andrew -

Last edited by SupraAyf on 23rd Sep 2014 9:48am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #359596 22nd Sep 2014 10:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>