↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > EGR cooler mixing exhaust gasses into coolant?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Whitewaitress

EGR cooler mixing exhaust gasses into coolant?
And the reverse i.e. Coolant loss through a defect in the EGR cooler - I am trying to figure out where my coolant is going and, why the over pressurisation of the cooling system.

I removed the expansion tank cap the other day and started the engine from cold to find that I could see steam coming from the opening, the inside of the cap also had an exhaust odour and with a quick sniff so did the opening to the expansion tank.

I'm hoping someone can tell me if there is the possibility for a faulty EGR cooler to cause this, as I'm rather hoping it's not head gasket related.

When I open the expansion tank and place my palm over it with the engine running, from cold or hot, there is no pulsing feeling which is usually associated with exhaust gasses entering the coolant system (from the gasket / cylinder head?)

Other symptom which may or may not be related is a slightly rough idle that will chase / hunt. The thermostat is questionable also.

Head gasket replaced 6,000 miles ago, maybe more. Around town and short journeys it drives well, pulls strong and will get 500 miles to a tank with town & A road driving! Changed EGR two weeks ago, water pump a month ago, also had a new MAF.

Any suggestions with the EGR cooler guys?
Post #333049 23rd May 2014 4:51pm
munch90

England 
are you getting any white smoke ( steam ) from exhaust when running ?
Post #333052 23rd May 2014 5:16pm
Whitewaitress

I've not stood at the back to have a look on tick over, but while driving I've not noticed any! Just a little bit of black smoke on boost since I put a blanking plate in (16mm hole in the middle of it).
Post #333056 23rd May 2014 5:50pm
munch90

England 
normally you would get a bit white smoke steam if water was getting in bores or in exhaust
does coolant system pressureize when running ( don't open if hot ) ?
proper way is to fit pressure gauge to coolant bottle then start to see if gauge rises
Post #333060 23rd May 2014 5:58pm
Whitewaitress

It sure does, if anything, it feels over pressurised.

I'll check the exhaust when it's running next, the coolant isn't leaking anywhere in the engine bay - so I can only think it's going out of the exhaust..

Edit - I can see the white steam smoke exiting the expansion tank if I take the cap off on start up & idle. Smells like exhaust fumes too.
Post #333063 23rd May 2014 6:08pm
munch90

England 
really only way to rule out egr cooler is to bypass it , just join the two coolant hoses on it together then go on test run ,

why was head gasket done before ?
Post #333067 23rd May 2014 6:23pm
Whitewaitress

Will they stretch that far? Do I need any additional fixtures/fittings?

The gasket had failed and as a result it wouldn't pull you out of bed without overheating, we bought it in that condition without really knowing what to expect until we hooked a trailer up & then the problems started. A short test drives wasn't enough to really get it working hard enough to tell us what was wrong. Head off, skim and pressure test, new stretch bolts, gaskets etc and it towed well, but recently it's lost its gusto for working hard.

I'm wondering if when I added a blanking plate this increased the pressure in the exhaust gas recirculating system and there has been a pin hole form in the cooler.

I'll give your suggestion a go if I can, cheers for the advice!
Post #333070 23rd May 2014 6:33pm
martinfiattech

England 
You might need a bit of old copper pipe 13 / 15 mm o.d. to joint it all together, if required build up the pipe with some black electrical tape.
As mentioned above go for a drive see what happens. One assumes the rest of the cooling systems working ok.

If you have access to a cooling system pressure tester fit it to the expansion tank when cold and watch for a pressure increase as it warms up. There will be a slight pressure increase due to it getting warm this is normal.
Another option open to you is get the engine block tested while the egr heat exchanger is bypassed, this would be handy to do both hot and cold, just in case you have a problem at either end of the operating cycle.
Any local garage would have this bit of kit, it can sometimes be a bit hard to prove on diesel engines due to there combustion gases,

The other option is to place a engine exhaust anazilser probe over the expansion tank ( once the caps removed) to sniff any gases that may be given off.
Does it misfire or run rough, hard starting etc.. Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #333189 24th May 2014 11:33am
Whitewaitress

Thanks Martin, there is a very slight wobble on the engine when revving up to 1500rpm from cold, and the engine does seem to surge a little on idle, normally when hot. When in gear & accelerating no problems seem present.

Generally it starts fine, if I've been for a good run in it, then need to start it again it sounds like the starter motor struggles - but nothing compared to how hard it used to start before the head gasket replacement.
Post #333239 24th May 2014 4:23pm
munch90

England 
did you find a reason for headgasket going in the first place ?

the puma engine in defender or transit are good headgasket wise , in fact I cant think of a headgasket failure on either , normally only time head off is needed is because of timing chain problem
Post #333244 24th May 2014 4:39pm
martinfiattech

England 
Hmmm,

As munch 90 says, myself I`ve not as yet had a head gasket issue with this engine, they are set up to cut out before they get to hot.
Did you find the reason behind the initial failure, they can only skim so much off the head, and who knows if the block is still flat ( they don`t warp often)
The faults described do sound a bit head gasket ish, does the engine do any of the following,
1. Does it use coolant, or blow it out of the expansion tank cap due to excessive system pressure. Again one assumes everything else within the system is working ok.
2. If it does have a misfire or wobble it maybe a poor injector, glow plug. How ever on engines with headgasket issues they can leak some coolant into the combustion chamber causing the same problems, on diesel`s it can actually slightly bend a con rod so giving a slightly lower compression ratio on one cylinder, I have had this myself a few times, once it warms up it clears.

3. If it is hard to start when hot, again one assumes the starting, charging systems are ok
You may have coolant entering the cylinders.
As for the surging on idle it may be a vcv valve or common rail pressure relief valve.

Myself the first thing I would do is bypass the egr cooler and get it block tested then you know for sure what you are dealing with and how much its going to cost.. Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #333438 25th May 2014 12:39pm
Whitewaitress

Thanks for the replies

The original reason for changing the head gasket was the lack of power, difficulty to start and,when it did start a big puff of smoke, it also used to drive down the motorway with a trail of steamy white clouds behind it! It would struggle up a gentle incline say on the motorway it would have no gusto and result in dropping down through the gears to pull it along, unladen with just me sat in it. Since changing the gasket it pulls great!

When I took the head for a pressure test and skim there were x 3 other cylinder heads out of transits waiting for collection on the workbench Shocked

Today I gave it a service, I later bypassed the EGR cooler and on startup the steamy puff of smoke was gone, although just and I mean just a little steam from the expansion tank cap from cold. The exhaust fume smell seemed to disappear & the sweet smell of the coolant was present again.

One thing that surprised me was that when I checked the thermostat, it wasn't opening & closing under boiling water - it was just open, say a millimetre or two, letting a trickle of water through. I'm wondering if this has recently become faulty and failed resulting in the over pressuring the system seems to be experiencing.

I drove it 5 miles home from a mates garage and the needle went straight to half, it normally sits at 1/4 - I think the thermostat is now fully closed, when I stopped the pipes on the top were very hot and the single pipe below just luke warm.

So, a replacement EGR cooler and new thermostat due this week. I'll keep you posted on how it performs over the next week or so. Thanks again for the information Thumbs Up
Post #333598 25th May 2014 10:14pm
Whitewaitress

So I changed the thermostat yesterday evening, followed the procedure without a vacuum pump as per the workshop manual and took it for a spin - needle quickly rose to half way and remained there for the duration of the run, it did the same on the way to work this morning and the system didn't over pressurize and the coolant dissapear like it had started doing of late.

The engine on tickover sounds healthier too - I'm not stopping at lights to hear it surging or idling at ~900 rpm, now it's back to around a steady 750rpm at tickover. The surging appears to have dissapeared and the occasional 'clacking' sound on accelleration/tickover appears to have gone also Confused could this all have been due to cylinder head temperatures and the temperature at which the combustion was taking place? The cylinder head temp never reached 1/2 on the gauge unless it was about to overheat!

I've not properly had chance to do a sniff test on the coolant expansion tank yet, and the EGR cooler hasnt arrived yet.
Post #334320 29th May 2014 8:47am
WelshGas

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Well my overheating woes continue. Had the thermostat changed 2 weeks ago as it had failed closed. Everything fine for 2 weeks then, on Wednesday evening, stopped at traffic lights and steam from bonnet and Scanguage which had been reading 80 c up until then started going up so pulled over and stopped. Opened bonnet and fluid passing pressure cap and onto exhaust. Recovered by AA to my Indi garage. Initially they thought Head gasket, but I told them about this forum topic, they pressure tested system -leak, so they bypassed EGR cooler and repeated test-No leak. So have just completed 25mile test drive, some of it at 70, and Scanguge showed a maximum temp of 82c after a swift steep hill and then settled back to 76-80c for rest of journey. Hopefully this is now sorted. Will probably bypass in place as I have the EGR turned off in software. Whistle LANDYWATCH

Neighbourhood Watch for Land Rover Owners

http://www.landywatch.co.uk/smf2/index.php
Post #334636 30th May 2014 7:29pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Hi guys,

Old thread but could do with your thoughts.

I to replaced thermostat as had overheating problems.
Didn't help, and rest of cooling system is good. (Pump and rad were swapped out and no better). All bled etc ok.

It failed it's Smeg test but is showing no signs of other head gasket symptoms, and like you I somehow suspect EGR.

Did you get anywhere with the bypass?

My EGR is blanked & mapped off anyway so shouldn't need cooling! Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #478945 4th Dec 2015 1:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>