↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > The definitive SATNAV thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
kzycnn

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Quote:
Chose to go along the 'small Ipad style' route and have a 7" Samsung Tab2, with built in GPS and have loaded 'Co-Pilot' onto it. (tom tom was not rated very highly for Android units)
I have also loaded some free aps that let me link to the engine management readings & clear faults.
It plays music & talking books to my blue tooth radio and all the normal 'wifi' stuff when needed.
I've also loaded View ranger on and it worked really well during the Ten-tor event on Dartmoor.
Interesting to see this... and how you get on as I'm just going down the same route. Have recently got a tab2 7 and got a mount from Brendan at Harrogate. Was looking at sat nav options and also decided on Co-Pilot, although not yet purchased. First outing should be a shake down trip to Dorset next weekend prior to the Alps in July.

Very interested in your feedback Smile

Tony
Post #241695 7th Jun 2013 1:26pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
I've got a regular sized iPad and run CoPilot, Memory-Map and MotionX. I have the same on my Galaxey S2 phone. It's works really well and I use Dropbox to sync routes/tracks between these in car devices and my desktop & laptop for route planning and review. The benefit of having both in the car is that I can monitor the route on my phone, while my navigator (wife) uses the iPad. The iPad is on a Ram mount and will swing to be in my view if needed. Solid as a rock.

For me, this is much more flexible and synchronised solution than dedicated GPS devices, but am interested to hear other views.

Cheers

Simon
Post #241697 7th Jun 2013 1:41pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I have a panasonic toughbook for my UK trips, with the ram mounting kit (direct from ram mount as it's cheaper), and memoery map 2004 and 2012 - this works well, but i struggled to find any decent electronic mapping for Europe.

The 760 has bluetooth phone connectivity too... and speed cameras and a mahooosive PoI database.
Post #241699 7th Jun 2013 1:53pm
couplands

Good point re: Euro maps, CoPilot does the on road stuff just fine, but haven't needed off road mapping yet.

For a possible off road trip, I was looking at the national mapping services in France and Switzerland (although I gather the Swiss laning opportunities may be limited), as they have downloadable maps for Memory-Map (I think..?), but didn't get as fas as buying any.

Anyone know if they are any good..?

Cheers

Simon

Ps Also bought my Ram gear from Ram direct, great web site and service.
Post #241720 7th Jun 2013 3:43pm
kzycnn

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
I've got memory map for the uk, although not fully loaded all the maps onto the samsung yet - I have it on an old ipad. For Europe, I've been looking at viewranger although, again, this has yet to be loaded and tried in anger on the samsung.

Tony
Post #241724 7th Jun 2013 3:58pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
[quote="kzycnn] Interesting to see this... and how you get on as I'm just going down the same route. Have recently got a tab2 7 and got a mount from Brendan at Harrogate. Was looking at sat nav options and also decided on Co-Pilot, although not yet purchased. First outing should be a shake down trip to Dorset next weekend prior to the Alps in July.

Very interested in your feedback Smile

Tony[/quote]
Hi Tony
its been really good so far - been running it for about 5 months now has been a good tool as a sat nav and as an entertaiment unit.
I've had slight issues with the mount as its a 'generic' style one that has the supports were the volume and on/off are (so would like to know about your mount as I'll be seeing Benden at the SW landy show Thumbs Up ) - watch were you mount the unit as if its in front of the heater vents the unit will warn you that the batterys are getting too hot and want to shut down. if the unit is low on battery when you switch it on, it will take a couple of mins to load co-pilot and the programme icon may not show on your home screen till the power comes up to 5% or above. Battery life is fine, and it charges from the standard apple type USB charger.

The co-pilot works well as a sat nav, but works slighty diffrently to tom tom, Screen clarity has been great in both day and night mode, and I love the speed limit and camera warnings on the programme. I have mine set as a camper van speed and it keeps updateing the ETA with no issues.

However - you will need to buy each country to get to the Alps .. as its not got a 'one shot Europe' map sadly. (we are planning a drive to Nothern Norway or Morroco so will be spending a lot on new maps soon!! Confused )

The big thing in the 'note2's' favor is that it is an actual sat nav and not a quasi-satnav that some of the Ipads and Phones are, as this does not need a phone signal or wifi to help find its location, meaning that it will give good coverage when out in the bon-doo or back of Berk!
We proved this when in the middle of Dartmoor - my Note worked perfectly on View ranger where the mobile phone and IPads failed to pick up a signal.

so in short - love it! Both the note and Co-Pilot.
enjoy playing with your new toy!
Cool Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #241768 7th Jun 2013 6:23pm
Nick-St

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Nick-St wrote:
Good to know... I've ordered one & a reversing camera to try while I (still) try and decide whether to replace the factory stereo with a double DIN or pop out screen....

Changed my mind at the last minute! Cancelled the Dezl and ordered a Kenwood with a pop-out screen and the Garmin sat-nav upgrade module...
Post #241845 7th Jun 2013 10:28pm
couplands

Quote:

However - you will need to buy each country to get to the Alps .. as its not got a 'one shot Europe' map sadly. (we are planning a drive to Nothern Norway or Morroco so will be spending a lot on new maps soon!! Confused )

You can buy the Europe maps all in one for CoPilot. That's what I have, so includes Switzerland among many others. Unless they've withdrawn it...just checked and its still there for 34.99.

Cheers

Simon
Post #241849 7th Jun 2013 10:49pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
couplands wrote:

You can buy the Europe maps all in one for CoPilot. That's what I have, so includes Switzerland among many others. Unless they've withdrawn it...just checked and its still there for 34.99.

Cheers

Simon

Wow ! thats Cool! many thanks for that Simon, that will help me loads!
Bow down Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #241858 7th Jun 2013 11:15pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Nick-St wrote:

Changed my mind at the last minute! Cancelled the Dezl and ordered a Kenwood with a pop-out screen and the Garmin sat-nav upgrade module...

Could you put up a thread with photo's if possible when fitted. Thumbs Up NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #241859 7th Jun 2013 11:18pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Nick-St wrote:
Nick-St wrote:
Good to know... I've ordered one & a reversing camera to try while I (still) try and decide whether to replace the factory stereo with a double DIN or pop out screen....

the kenwood is a nice unit but i have 2 reservations ...

1. will the display limit access to the dashboards buttons
2. not so easy to swap between land rovers and other vehicles
Post #241876 8th Jun 2013 7:25am
Nick-St

custom90steve wrote:

Could you put up a thread with photo's if possible when fitted. Thumbs Up

Yep - I'll start a new thread...
Post #241907 8th Jun 2013 9:22am
Nick-St

bpman wrote:

the Kenwood is a nice unit but I have 2 reservations ...

1. will the display limit access to the dashboards buttons
2. not so easy to swap between land rovers and other vehicles

No 1 is one of the reasons I took so long to decide what option to take... as it will block the buttons a bit. No 2 isn't such a problem for me, as the only other car I use has a built in system. My other option of double DIN conversion I finally ruled out in case I had to extend any of the switch wiring - I didn't fancy that on a brand new in-warranty vehicle. The Kenwood system is the middle ground for cost too...
Post #241908 8th Jun 2013 9:26am
defender4

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
And with a bit of luck you can swap the switches around (if you cut off their retaining tabs) to make the ones that you use most (e.g. rear wipers) accessible either side of the pop up screen.

Or

Move switches to the side of dash like Brendan, very neat:

I think that must be a Naka part.
Post #241913 8th Jun 2013 10:07am
custom90

United Kingdom 
It does indeed block a couple of the buttons however that is only when flipped out it can still be used closed in like and other HU also. And to be frank the buttons in that position are rarely used the most used ones are in other locations.
Yes, you cannot transfer between cars but then can you with cars with it in built from the factory? No. Also you have no setting up to do before every journey mounting up and plugging in (especially a pain if you use the lighter socket to power the Navi)
With the built in system it there and ready and also on a 7" screen angled to your preference un-like a 2DIN also. The Kenwood HU and Nav packages have gone down in price a fair bit in recent years which is great. Previously for the two you wouldn't get any change out of around 1200 about 5 years ago believe it or not. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #241915 8th Jun 2013 10:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>