Home > In Car Electronics > The definitive SATNAV thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
DavidITGuru

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Sumatra Black
custom90steve wrote:
DavidITGuru wrote:
I have Tom Tom Go 940 Live. I have it hard wired in which is one of the reasons I am reluctant to change - all of the new ones use a different connector.

What was your method of hard wiring in? Thumbs Up

It looks a lot like Lorryman's only it faces the other way as it's LHD Smile

This is also where I hang my head in shame as I "outsourced" the hard wiring to an ICE dealer to do at the same time as he was installing my sub and amp.
Post #196693 27th Dec 2012 4:44pm
Lorryman100

To be honest I can't remember, though I do remember not having to make any additional holes if that makes any sense?????? I did however nearly remove the dash so that I could add a couple of mods in the dead space including a subsidiary fuse box plus the cables for the satnav and ultragauge. Thumbs Up
Post #196694 27th Dec 2012 4:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
Lorryman - That's good to hear.. I have a hardwire kit on it's way from the US for my Garmin 1300T as I was sick of A. having the wires hanging around and B. having the plug getting in the way of 5th gear.
Very nice and neat by the way. Thumbs Up May I ask where you hard wired into? I was thinking of using the cigarette lighter positive and negative seeing as it was it's original power source and it doesn't have a high draw. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #196695 27th Dec 2012 4:48pm
Lorryman100

I hard wired it into the subsidiary fuse box on the ignition side protected with a 5 amp fuse, one of these:

http://www.nippynormans.com/products/f650s...el-fuz-fz1

It is small enough to hide away and it only powers a few low draw items, satnav, toughbooks 12v power supply and a couple of other bits Whistle

Using the cigarette lighter would be a good option though I would definitely put an additional inline fuse between the cigarette lighters 12v supply and the satnav, as the cigarette lighters 12v supply is of a much higher amperage than the satnavs needs. Thumbs Up
Post #196702 27th Dec 2012 5:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
Lorryman100 wrote:

Using the cigarette lighter would be a good option though I would definitely put an additional inline fuse between the cigarette lighters 12v supply and the satnav, as the cigarette lighters 12v supply is of a much higher amperage than the satnavs needs. Thumbs Up

True, Easy to forget that the Sat Nav has a fuse in the plug on top of the lighter socket having it's own much higher rated fuse. I don't think the Sat Nav uses hardly and Amp or two let alone 15A or what ever the fuse is for the ciggarette socket. I was think of rather than butchering the LR's original lighter socket wiring I was going to add a small section to the existing plugs (using appropriate wire) using spade terminals and the other end plugs into the socket terminals like normal only extended. If that makes sense... And tap into the extension wires for the sat nav power and earth feeds. In effect it could then just be un-plugged if ever required rather than being truely permanently wired into the Defender electrics. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #196712 27th Dec 2012 5:24pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Also forgot to mention.. Embarassed
What in-line fuse holder type would you recommend. The normal blade fuse holders I normally use I think would be a tad OTT for this purpose.

Thanks again Brian. Thumbs Up NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #196714 27th Dec 2012 5:26pm
Lorryman100

That would work a treat. Infact you could also just as easily go direct to the under steering vehicle fuse box and take an appropriate fused feed direct from there. Thumbs Up
Post #196716 27th Dec 2012 5:28pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
True, I didn't realise you could? I think I'll stick to my original plans though seeing as I have it pre-planned in my head at least. Laughing Un-like yourself I can't think of anything else I will use from the cigarette lighter power other than the Sat Nav.
Perhaps a mini fuse holder such as this one for the power feed protection (Will have to look up the appropriate fuse rating:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-Heavy...19c969ea33 NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #196722 27th Dec 2012 5:36pm
Lorryman100

Any in line glass fused holder will do the trick. Personally I would go for the splash proof one below (30mm glass fuses rated continuous at either 1 or 2.5 amps), not for the fact it is splash proof but because it allows you to connect your own wiring direct without the need for additional cable joins found with the traditional inline holders that have a short length of wiring attached. Thumbs Up

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-...lders3.php

And these 30mm glass catridge fuses:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-....php#glass
Post #196724 27th Dec 2012 5:37pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Smaller too. I shall look into that then. Thumbs Up It will probably take a while to arrive from the US so I'll report back then. Providing I remember too. Rolling Eyes

Thank-you. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #196725 27th Dec 2012 5:41pm
Lorryman100

If you melt anything, please don't blame me............ Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
Post #196728 27th Dec 2012 5:47pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I'd never do that Brian. After all your one of the forum electrical experts. Thumbs Up I find these things more difficult to describe than actually to do. Piece of cake to do..

Thumbs Up NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #196730 27th Dec 2012 5:51pm
Lorryman100

It is a doddle, remember the manly fingers to remove the dash fascia, Grrrrrrr
Post #196734 27th Dec 2012 5:55pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Lorryman100 wrote:
Remember the manly fingers to remove the dash fascia, Grrrrrrr

Can't say I do?
It absolutely amazes me how easily a lot of people get confused about the whole wiring system. I swear many would think nothing of grounding power wires. Shocked I wouldn't mind betting a lot of young drivers insurance policys are voided by in-correct wiring causing fire. When I first got my 90 the relay for the spots was wired so the battery was powering the coil constantly! Draining the battery after a couple of days and the main beam feed for the headlights was actually powering the spots too. Fuse was near the relay in the engine bay and nothing near the battery and to add to the the fuse that was there wasn't waterproof either. To add to that LR sold it on like that without checking so I sorted it out myself. (Along with the help of K9F)

Thud NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #196742 27th Dec 2012 6:19pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 
DavidITGuru wrote:
I have Tom Tom Go 940 Live which is about 4 years old

It was playing up and rebooting all the time over the last few months and I have been eyeing replacements but it seems to have stabilised of late so going to hang it out a little longer.

That's a classic symptom of the internal battery failing on these units. If kept charged then it's not a problem. If allowed to go flat though then 12v struggles to charge it properly and the unit keeps rebooting. Charging from the mains can usually resuscitate it but the long term fix is to replace the battery, which is doable albeit fiddly. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #196895 28th Dec 2012 9:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>